Meniere's Disease

Discussion in 'Support' started by Teri, Jul 19, 2014.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      No, Sue...I don't seem to. I turn the volume way down. It seems to be okay.

2. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I had it on soooo low! Do you have H?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I had H with the onset of my T back in April/May, but never so bad that I felt so troubled with it.

Now, I don't seem to notice H at all. I hope that continues.

4. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Seems we are the opposite! My T is nothing. My H was really really bad. Now it's not so bad. Still a little off today. But I also have a headache and my light sensitivity is up in my right eye. That's happening a lot more lately.

5. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      I was in a job interview today. The room was quiet and only 2 persons and me there. Amazing how loud my T is. I actually couldnt hear everything they said and i found myself thinking this noise in my head. It is so hard to concentrate these days. I managed to get through the interview somehow. What i wanted to say is: i hate tinnitus. I hate MD. Absolutely.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      @SueR @MichaelM
      My hearing dropped and sound is a bit distorted in my T ear. There was heavy rain and I think probably more air pressure....probably low pressure. Do you happen to know if that will cause problems for us folks with inner ear issues? No H to speak of...thank goodness.

@MichaelM
      Good luck with your job interview...I hope you can find some work that will be a good fit for you.

7. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      The Tshirt clearly states the mindset of most doctors. At my last ENT appt I was told that what I have can be very debilitating but I must just go on and live my life. Very pathetic and poor quality of medical advice IMHO.

Michael...the tshirt needs to become our official doctor's appt attire. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I also wanted to add....does anyone get a sore jaw? Mine is always slightly sore on my T side...maybe it is just from tensing on that side.

10. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Have you thought about TMJ? I know a lot of people on this site and the FB sites I watch talk about TMJ. I rarely find myself with the teeth touching, so I doubt I'm clenching (which is a problem for people with TMJ).

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Hmm...that is an idea Sue, but my jaw doesn't click as if there is TMJ issues. It just has an ache. What is interesting about it, is that it is prevalent when my ear is bothering me.

My ear has pressure know and my hearing has dropped. I really do not like this because I am always worried about T spiking, possible vertigo, or any other fun symptom that comes along.

12. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ has been one of my projects for the whole year. No progress.... i need to see the dentist next week. ENT said "nothing wrong with your jaw" but that´s what they always say, nothing wrong so try to cope with it. Next ENT appt next week. Cant wait to hear all the cliches again.

My jaw is sore sometimes and usually it feels like numbness after dental anesthesia on my MD side of the head and cheek.

13. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Michael, I know plenty of people whose doc says that TMJ is the cause of their hyperacusis. If you think about it, the TM joint is very close to the inner ear. I dislike that your ENT has dismissed it outright.

14. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes indeed. I believe it can be a cause to almost anything... this is a wow-effect picture.
      from TMJ site i found somewhere.

tmj-diagram.jpg

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      @MichaelM, @SueR

Yes, I could certainly say yes to most of those conditions, BUT, wouldn't TMJ issues have shown up in my Cat Scan?

16. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I know someone who may know. I'll get back to you about what she says.

17. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TJM can not be the cause for MD. i believe this is a fact. ENT i saw told so. Nothing but MD alone cannot cause vertigo that last for hours. and that´s Certain MD as we already know. Possible MD.... i guess everything related to TJM can be TMJ-based as long as there is no hours-long-vertigos and hearing loss. but this is just me.... we should ask a doctor.

"my doc" said: should you have no teeth or no jaw at all you still would have 100% hearing.

one thing that came to my mind yesterday. Back in 2009 my car was hit in the rear by another car. Not too fast, perhaps some 30mph. Anyhow i was a bit dizzy for an hour or so.... not a nice feeling. got so called whiplash injury.
      the other side of my head was totally numb for many days, also my right hand was numb and didnt work normally. all this went away within some weeks.
      but
      after some 6 months from that, 2010, i started feeling these first symptoms of MD: a little hearing loss and especially the aural fullness on my very same right side those whiplash injuries were.
      I havent really thought of this before, never even cross my mind. Now that i think of it i am really scared.
      WAS that the moment and and cause for my MD with all these symptoms.
      i have to tell this to ENT next week.

i hope and believe all this is just a not-so-nice coincidence.

"Following the trauma, vertigo disorders can be triggered immediately or they can take months or years to develop. The purpose of IUCCA upper cervical chiropractic care is to reverse the trauma-induced upper neck injury, thereby reducing irritation to the nerves that trigger vertigo. While many vertigo sufferers recall specific traumas such as head injuries, auto accidents or falls, some do not." link: http://www.erinelster.com/vertigo.html

18. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Michael, I do believe it can affect T & H though. There are non Meniere's folks who have T and/or H attributed to their TMJ (so they say).

I don't think this is my case, since my jaw doesn't hurt, I don't clench, no clicking, etc.

19. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      my friend said TMJ can be found on an MRI, if the doc knows what to look for.

20. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe TMJ can affect T and H, too. Actually, i believe these days that it is, with occlusion problems, far more common a reason for T than people actually think. I have started reading about it just recently.

the dentist i saw last winter took panoramic dental X-ray and the "X-ray doctor" said there is nothing wrong with my TMJ. I dont know who to believe anymore... one doctor can say different things and the next doctor another thing.
      I have seen only 2 ENT´s here + 2 dentist. I keep on searching more opinions. I believe now i really have MD but there must be more to this than just MD. This has pretty much ruined my life. it is hard to believe MD can cause ALL this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      MichaelM.....Do you think that you may have been predisposed to MD or had very early signs of it and the accident just exacerbated it?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/unlocalized.htm

Here is something that I came across that I found to be interesting. I did not even know there were different definitions of vertigo. Very interesting indeed.

@MichaelM
      Do you think that some of your vertigo could be classified as "Psychogenic Dizziness"?
      The reason I ask is that it is said that panic and anxiety are two conditions that arise commonly with MD.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      http://www.drhschaaf.de/endolye.html

I found this study to be interesting too....
      @Sue....this is what I found most interesting is the term "psychogenic dizziness". I was wondering if some of our dizziness is also related to anxiety.

24. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I don't think mine is. I don't have anxiety. Like nothing much phases me. lol

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      That is good, Sue. Worry really doesn't serve any purpose.

26. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Teri, interesting links. I have to read them all again.

i dont think i have been predisposed to MD. Tinnitus i have had in some forms for more than 15 years or so. Didnt really bother me properly until this MD thing. First time i visited a doctor because of T was in 2001. T back then for me was that classic "i hear it in a quiet room when i try to sleep". i have to say i got habituated....
      to this current T i cannot habituate anymore.

I did drink a lot when i was younger and i was depressed but there really is no way that MD is a mental or psychological problem or caused by them. Every doctor keep saying it isnt.
      And isnt this crazy. We have an MD here, a disease virtually unknown to everybody and here i am thinking is this a mental thing. WTF.... yes i have thought of this before.

Last 4-5 years have been stressfull. i am not sure if i undestand that psychogenic dizziness fully but my vertigo attacks just come and go no matter how or what i feel. They hit with full force. It is not dizziness but paralyzing. I literally cannot move anymore, it lasts for hours during which i sweat like a (any good american sayings here?), every single sound i hear is amazingly loud. So bad an H it hurts.... there is no "up" or "down" anymore then. just fast spinning. I cannot move for an inch. If I need to go the toilet---- well. i cannot.

What i was thinking is should i take a video next time. i havent found videos of vertigo attacks.
      That could rise awareness what this MD is like with those vertigos. Mine are, so i have read, the Worst Class Attacks. Some people get them on a weekly basis. I have had 2 this year.

Oh... i found an article in Finnish about vertigo. Psychogenic also mentioned. If you want to know what this language looks like. Here it is.

27. Hattukoira
      Tired

Hattukoira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      Thanks for that link! Very informative article. (y)

28. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont mention it, mate. Great article. Just found it today myself. Lots of new info for myself, too.

this was new (sorry, in Finnish: kiertohuimaus on aina merkki sisäkorvan tai aivojen pohjaosan vauriosta eikä voi selittyä pelkästään esim. niskajännityksellä)
      I dont know how to translate that completely but it seems that rotating/spinning vertigo is always a sing of damaged inner ear or damaged parts in the brain. Therefore tension in the neck cannot be the cause for rotating/spinning vertigo.

Which brings us to Certain Meniere´s. MD is in the iner ear/(brains?) no matter how one´s neck or jaw is.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Michael, as severe as you have MD, the upside, if it is one, would be that you are probably going to reach that "burn out" stage sooner than later. That means that MD would have run its course and be done!

Am I correct about that?

30. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      if I understand you correctly that is one interesting theory, @Teri

Some people actually believe this disease has a start and middle phase and.... an end?
      My MD evolved quickly. Doc´s have said it, too.

My question is: when the burn out really hits does one notice it? I believe not.
      It is like depression. You realize how depressed you where after you are back to normal.