Meniere's Disease

Discussion in 'Support' started by Teri, Jul 19, 2014.

1. hopeful4future

hopeful4future Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Shot
      So then would you probably relate what I have going on to stress and anxiety? Since I’ve had the hearing loss and tinnitus for a long time?

2. hopeful4future

hopeful4future Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Shot
      Was your no referring to tinnitus and hearing loss does not lead to Ménière's? Thanks. Really struggling with the tinnitus hoping the dizziness and lightheadness is just from stress and anxiety.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      @glynis
      I have a question about hearing aids. Are there any hearing aids that are recommended for Meniere's suffers? My hearing loss fluctuates and I am not sure what would work well. Hearing in my left ear is the worst with low frequency loss. When I turn the phone volume up, it sounds like Micky Mouse.

What are your thoughts?

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Teri,
      Dual purpose hearing aids might be the best. They are set to your hearing needs.
      Also Cinnarizine 15mg can help reduce a spike as it states it can help reduce tinnitus for people with Meniere's.

love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I will research dual purpose hearing aids...thanks. Will heari g aids help with distorted sounds such as the "micky mouse" sounding voices or the muffled sounds even when the tv volume is up?

6. Stefaniie

Stefaniie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Hi. I'm 21, female, and I have mild/moderate low frequency hearing loss in both ears.

I also have chronic tinnitus, which consists of a hissing/ringing sound (do to noise damage, I used to listen to music with headphones a lot) and at some point I also developed a low pitch humming/sometimes droning.

I assumed the low pitch humming was normal among tinnitus patients but after spending some time on tinnitus talk, I've come to realize that's it's a rare sound to hear. A few years ago (which is when I'm ASSUMING my low frequency hearing loss started--I only got diagnosed with low frequency hearing loss at the end of last year), I would sometimes get dizzy. I blamed it on the fact that I had a poor died. Eventually the dizzy spells stopped.

A few days ago I woke up incredibly dizzy, the whole room was spinning like crazy, and I suddenly felt very nauseous. I threw up twice. The dizziness eventually passed after about 2 hours. I had chills too so I thought I was probably dehydrated or ate something bad. Still don't know if that was the case.

But other then these symptoms I'm not sure how to determine if I have Meniere's or not. My ent didn't say anything about it when I got my hearing tested.

Is there a way I can find out definitively if I have Meniere's? And are the low pitch noises normal for this disease?

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't know that there is a definitive test.

You do seem to have a few symptoms that, unfortunately, would require investigation in that direction. You should mention it to your doctors.

Have they mentioned the low salt/alcohol/caffeine/sugar diet?

How do you know your hearing loss is hereditary?

8. Stefaniie

Stefaniie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      My audiologist suggested that I cut out dairy and soft drinks (because I drink a lot of those) to help my tinnitus, but she didn't mention it having to do with meniere's.

My dad has moderate/severe hearing loss in both his frequencies. His hearing started to decline in his early 20s, which is also when all this started happening for me. My aunt also has hearing loss that started in her early 20s, but I'm not sure how bad it is for her because I haven't spoken to her in years. My dad told me my uncle has significant hearing loss like him. And my grandmother also has really bad hearing and has for as long as I can remember.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Cutting out soft drinks seems to be a reasonable course of action no matter what.
      The diet I was writing about is often mentioned in the context of endolymphatic hydrops & Meniere's.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    10. Joakim Skomsvoll

Joakim Skomsvoll Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly Cochlear Hydrops
      How to people with Meniere's cope with the prospect of complete deafness and dehabilitating tinnitus? I must admit it is my worst fear and the cause of lot's of anxiety/depression. I cannot envision a worse fate :(

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      @Joakim Skomsvoll

I feel this is probably a normal concern as it was for me 4 years ago. You are spinning the worst-case scenerio around in your mind. DON'T do that. You will be fine and manage the disease. Stay positive!

I had a bad onset, but am doing fine. When a down turn comes, don't let it get the best of you because it always gets better.

Hang in there!

• Like Like x 2
    12. bruh moment
      Frustrated

bruh moment Member

Tinnitus Since:
      `2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Hi,

So a few weeks ago, I saw an article about Meniere's. Yesterday, after drinking coffee I got this crazy dizziness which eventually went away. It was not vertigo. The next day my stomach hurts a lot.

Is this a symptom of Meniere's? I'm still dizzy all day long with no hearing loss.