Metal Clinking Against Washing Machine/Dryer

Discussion in 'Support' started by HanaK, Jan 9, 2019.

1. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Welp, I'm back with another problem. Sorry everyone. :( Discovered another noise that makes my ears hurt and feel full-ish.

I really don't want to wear earmuffs every time I do something remotely loud, but I just noticed that the metal part of clothing hitting against my metal washer/dryer is INSANELY loud. I have yet to measure the decibels with my phone, but it sounded crazy loud when I pressed "start" on the dryer and when I pulled the clothes out of the washer and placed them into the dryer. A few bangs were enough to send my ears into panic mode and now my ears feel full and unhappy.
      Does anyone else have this problem with their washer and dryers? Should I just wear earmuffs when I do the laundry now too or is it just something that I need to get myself used to in order to heal? Even sounds like ripping off paper from a notebook/crinkling brown grocery bags sound insanely loud to me so maybe it's just my ears being too sensitive... :arghh:

Really getting close to just sitting in my room all day and doing nothing at all lol. Though I'd feel bad to have my mom do the laundry every time. (n)

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I sure hope bio-medical research of noxacusis (pain hyperacusis) speeds up.

pretty sad seeing several threads about noised induced pain in one day.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      I sure hope so too! :( Its sad to see everyday sounds that are deemed "safe" hurt our ears...

4. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Well, I use earmuffs when I do the dishes. Just as a precaution, because I'm clumsy and my kitchen is small and things are banging into each other all the time.

This morning I dropped a wineglass which shattered very loudly. Had I not worn protection, I'm sure I'd be going wild googling "how loud is a glass shattering" just about now.

Wear your muffs, protect your ears, relax.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I always wear ear plugs and ear muffs when I do laundry. Sometimes I try to coordinate it when I go out by doing the wash just before having to leave and then doing the dryer when I leave so I don't have to deal with the noise of the dryer.

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Most people with severe hyperacusis use earmuffs for daily chores like doing the dishes, laundry, etc Actually all those grocery items packaged in plastic and kind of loud or annoying if you have very bad hyperacusis. I never got used to those sounds again until I started to lose hearing. I had better days and worse days, but if you are in pain, or your hearing is muffled and you have a big headache, it is just easier to put your earmuffs on.

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      in my opinion suicide is the best option outside of begging bio-medicial research advances.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would wear the muffs for a couple of minutes while I would be in the laundry room. I would try to spend as little time as possible there.

In a year or two, those sounds will stop being grating to you, and you will then be able to resume your normal life.