Metal Plate Dropped on Concrete Floor

Discussion in 'Support' started by sven1987, Sep 20, 2017.

1. sven1987

sven1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      Today at work someone dropped a heavy metal plate on the floor about 10 feet from where I was standing and I'm scared to death it might have caused permanent damage. It must have been around 110 dB, maybe even more.

My tinnitus has been acting strange since yesterday on top of that. I had a case of fleeting tinnitus, but instead of it going away after a few seconds, it lasted for a few hours. Ever since this happened my tinnitus has been very high pitched. The volume also went up. It's just a very thin, high pitched sound. I can hear it in places where I didn't hear it before.

Could this also be because I damaged my hearing? And with the accident today could it become even worse?

I don't understand tinnitus. Last weekend it was really low, but now it came back with a vengeance.

2. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      IMO
      I wouldn't stress over it. Your T will settle back down. It's just a short term spike. In a few days you will be back to where you were. It's almost impossible to avoid all loud noise, we live in a very loud society.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sven1987

sven1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      Thank you. At the moment I feel really anxious, like I was when I just got T. Especially this high pitched T has got me edgy. It's like constant fleeting T. Is there anybody else who has had this?

4. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      How big was the plate ?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sven1987

sven1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      About 8 by 5 inches and about 1 inch thick.

6. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      i think you will be fine..

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sven1987

sven1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      Thank you. I know stress can play a huge role in spikes, so maybe after a good sleep it will go down somewhat. Can a tinnitus spike last several days?

8. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      yes it can but i am sure you will be ok..this type of things have happend to me many many times,

9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Metal onto a floor is not a single pure tone. Don't be concerned. Sensitivity would have to be between 2 and 5 kHe. Two sines waves of differing frequencies for a few seconds will have equal loudness, but a person must have significant hearing impairment for a problem permanent spike. High frequency bands such as electrical or laser to the brain region can cause a spike in a second. The measurement of concern is constant loudness of pure tones. A wooden or car door slamming can cause a spike as they are pure single tones. Pure tones db SPL is constant loudness.

• Informative Informative x 1