Microsuction and Irrigation

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, May 6, 2017.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Microsuction and Irrigation.

The ear is a delicate and sophisticated organ that some people might not give much thought to, as the majority of the time it’s able to take care of itself, until something goes wrong with it. Attached to the side of our head we see the outer ear known as the Pinnia. Beyond this, lies a mystery to many although most people know they have an eardrum also called the tympanic membrane.

The Pinnia collects sounds from the outside world and funnels them down the narrow passageway inside our head called the ear canal. The sounds are directed onto the eardrum which is situated in the middle ear. The ear canal is lined with wax the medical term cerumen. Small glands in the ears produces the wax and protects the skin of the canal by preventing bacteria, dirt and other foreign substances from entering. Under normal circumstances the wax passes out harmlessly but sometimes a build up can make the ears feel blocked and one might experience hearing loss, itchiness, sometimes pain and even tinnitus.

If using eardrops doesn’t clear the blockage a visit to the GP surgery for removal of the wax using irrigation might be necessary or in some cases going to an ENT clinic for microscution.

A few people have contacted me and raised concerns about irrigation and microsuction and asked whether they are safe for use on people that have tinnitus? I also had a lengthy discussion with someone in this forum last week, who’s adamant the tinnitus was made worse after having microsuction. This person had done all the right things. Applying olive oil eardrops to each ear for two weeks prior to the procedure and still ended up with problems. I therefore believe, the health professional doing the microsuction, wasn’t as skilled and adept as he or she should have been. This is unfortunate, as the person in question had no way of knowing this and is now enduring more discomfort.

The old fashioned method of ear syringing, using a metal canister filled with water and squirted into the ear under pressure, to remove earwax is no longer used. This method was rather crude and abrasive and could cause problems to the ear. Modern ear irrigation is considered gentler and a safer method. I have had this done three times at my GP surgery without problems. Prior to it being carried out I used eardrops 3 times a day for 10 days to soften the wax.

When the earwax is impacted irrigation might be unsuccessful even after using eardrops. The next step is microsuction. As the name suggests, the wax is literally sucked out using a small handheld wand with a suction tip and is considered to be the safest method of wax removal. I have also had this done three times at my hospital ENT department, which was carried out my consultant who I had every confidence in and had no problems. She is a firm believer in the use of microsuction especially for someone with tinnitus. Again, eardrops should be used for 7 to 10 days before having it done.

A word of caution. Type into any search engine and you’ll probably find a mirosuction clinic in your area, advising how safe and quick it is and that there’s no need to use eardrops to soften the wax. Others might say just use it for a couple of days or the night before coming into clinic. I strongly advise you not follow this advice. People have contacted me after having microsuction and didn’t use eardrops for 7 to 10 days and ended up with tinnitus that they didn’t have before. When they returned to the clinic to complain they were quickly shown the door.

Every medical procedure carries a risk. It is just not ideal to go around with blocked up ears, hearing loss or experiencing increased tinnitus as a result of impacted wax. If one is paying privately, try to find a reputable clinic and use olive oil eardrops in the manner I’ve stated before having microsuction or irrigation. I also advise to use eardrops two or three times a week to keep the earwax soft so it can pass out through the ears naturally and help prevent build up.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I agree. I was advised, actually felt pressure by an audiologist to have wax removed. I did ask if it could be made worse and he assured me it couldn't. I was very nervous about this, he struggled a bit as he said I had narrow ear canals. I did have a lump of wax removed from my right ear but I've visited 2 audiologists who said it was perfectly safe.
      My T, particularly my right ear where wax was removed got a lot worse and this was a year ago and has never changed.
      I'd wished I'd read these stories before I was frog marched into it. No sooner had he removed the wax, he was throwing trt devices on my ears. I didn't feel comfortable with him at all and should have listened to my gut instinct.
      Gutted I made this bad choice!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1