Microsuction Caused Feeling of Pressure/Hearing Loss in One Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by HS Teacher, Jan 10, 2020.

1. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Micro-suction
      Hi everyone. New member here. I had microsuction performed by an ENT doctor on Monday. I've had it done about 2 or 3 times years back with no problems (apparently I have crooked ear canals, so they get blocked with wax). This time, I heard a lot of whistling in my one as he was doing it. I noticed right away I was having a hard time hearing out of my left ear, which has never happened before. It's 4 days later, and it still feels "muffled" and can't hear well from that ear. I had prednisone in my medicine cabinet for another unrelated issue, so I decided to take some of that to see if it was inflammation and just needed something to help calm it down. I've been miserable the past few days and can barely function because I feel so off-kilter from the one ear feeling so weird.

If anyone had hearing loss from microsuction, was it temporary or permanent? How long did it take to go away if temporary?

I'm reading through threads and am seeing this doesn't seem to be uncommon, which is a total shock because I was never informed by the doctor of any possible side effects like this (and I had it before with no issues... although different doctors in the same practice did the previous procedures). And I'm worried this could be permanent because I never knew about the decibel level of these machines until now. I'm going back to have the ENT doctor look again today, anything specific I should ask? Any other recommendations to help?

Thank you for any input!

2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      So sorry that happened to you. The whistling may have been clarinetting which can get loud like up to 140 dB loud.

Research has shown that microsuction is a dangerous procedure, but these ENT criminals keep doing it. I've been assaulted by it 3 times, the last was after presenting with an acoustic trauma and hyperacusis believe it or not. ENTs don't care or understand and they don't read research. They just vacuum peoples ears for a lot of money. It's a total racket. No point going back to consult, he will claim he doesn't know, only give you a hearing test up to 8khz and deny all responsibility anyway.

No one can say if there's long term damage. Only an extended audiogram could show up any loss, if you have an old one to compare with.

It's taken me years to overcome hyperacusis and comorbidities to have a somewhat more normal life.

You can consider supplements like NAC, magnesium, melatonin, R lipoic acid, coQ10, acetyl l carnitine, nicotinamide riboside, vitamin C and others to try and mitigate the oxidative stress caused by the loud noise.

There needs to be a big note on the homepage of this website, warning about the dangers of microsuction (and other dangerous procedures like MRIs).

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      What exactly do you intend to achieve? Retrieving information is one thing, but please don't allow him to do anything else to your ears. Effects and risks of microsuction are highly underestimated.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Micro-suction
      Many thanks, Gman and Tybs. I'm definitely not going to have the ENT dr do any other procedure, just look to see if maybe there still could be wax that maybe moved or something during the procedure? (and if so, I won't have him touch it) Or maybe it could be fluid build-up or something that's causing the muffling/pressure? I'm definitely super concerned about the possibility that it's actual hearing loss from the decibel levels after reading through everyone's experiences/studies. I had NO idea that was even a potential side effect. :-(

I'm so sorry you all have had to go through this, too. Because patients are not warned of this at ALL before this procedure, have folks ever filed medical malpractice suits? This absolutely seems criminal since there are studies showing these machines cause decibel levels to a point that cause hearing loss, yet these drs do it anyway, with NO warning to patients. :-(

Many thanks again to you all for sharing your thoughts/experiences, I really appreciate it.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I don't know if anyone has successfully sued an ENT for microsuction/malpractice. I certainly hope so. I recall some for MRIs.

I seriously contemplated legal action at one stage but was talked out of it. Where I was living at the time had a weird legal system, that made it practically impossible to pursue. I was in such a bad place too after all of it (especially from the MRI), so was really just trying to stay alive and that's no exaggeration.

I just want to say though, the microsuction assaults were just icing on the cake for me. There was, as I mentioned, the MRI and various other acoustic incidences that compounded the issues. So my advice to you would be to consider taking otoprotective/antioxidant supplements and do your very best to avoid moderate-loud noise exposures to give yourself a chance to heal as much as possible. But don't avoid normal sounds or over protect your ears (it's a tricky balancing act).

If you visit an audiologist for help, avoid any hearing tests that subject you to loud sounds - there are a few of them. The normal hearing test is ok.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. NightOwl
      Suicidal

NightOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9th May 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction
      Hi, I know this is an old thread but I'm going through the exact same thing now. Did your hearing come back?