Middle Ear Infection, Doctor Prescribed Penicillin — Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by amymilly, Jan 29, 2022.

1. amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      Hiiii.

I used to be on Tinnitus Talk when my tinnitus first started 5 year ago now.

Over the past couple years, my tinnitus hit a base. Odd spike here and there. I had habituated. Finally back to living life.

Until Monday. I started to get ear pain. A strain drainage feeling (on the inside of my ear) along with odd stabbing pains and ear pressure.

I spoke to a doctor yesterday who prescribed me Penicillin for a middle ear infection.

I've never had an infection. My tinnitus has sky rocketed. Like I feel I've gone back to that state of when you first get tinnitus.

I was wondering if anyone had suffered a middle ear infection and it aggravated tinnitus, but returned back to baseline later on?

Assuming my spike is because of the middle ear infection.

It's hard speaking to people who don't have tinnitus. Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I believe my tinnitus journey started with a middle ear infection. It caused perforation in my left ear twice in a couple of months. My tinnitus from that lasted about 3.5 years with a break of silence for around 6 months. The tinnitus more or less disappeared except for 1 noise induced spike for a week.

Only here now because a Pfizer jab brought me right back to square one recently.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      Yes I did! And it did get worse! But then it went down after I recovered but it took a while. I would give it a few weeks. The ear is probably inflamed inside and could have fluid and it creates a lot of distortion, muffled hearing and louder tinnitus while it’s healing.

Middle ear infections are so painful.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      @volsung37 - mine started from a perforated ear drum too. But from being in club - from an infection that’s dreadful/the pressure from the inner ear infections are horrendous aren’t they! - oh the jab gave you tinnitus again? Or made it worse? I didn’t even think about tinnitus with the jab (I haven’t had any).

@Shelbylynn - yes I have fluid. I can feel it. It’s also been draining down my throat. Horrible having a huge setback after coming so far. I was wondering if it’s the antibiotics which are making it worse or not. But I need to take them because my ears feel a mess! I’m glad your ears went back to a base though. Gives me hope for sure.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Don’t worry about the meds, if you don’t take them you’ll be in worse shape.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. ownagealan
      Anime

ownagealan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe Otoxic Medication?/Otitis Media
      Hello, I also had an ear infection last month. I am still hearing the tinnitus. But my situation is different from yours because your doctor only prescribed you Penicillin which is good since it does not really cause or worsen tinnitus. I am here because my tinnitus spiked from ototoxic medications. I hope you will recover from your ear infection.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1