Mild Hyperacusis (?), Distortions, Tinnitus That Reacts to Noise — Symptoms of Allergies?

Discussion in 'Support' started by FireFox93, Apr 25, 2022.

1. FireFox93
      Spaced

FireFox93 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020 / March 28th, 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2020: VSS / 2022: H/T Unknown
      Hello! I’m new to Tinnitus Talk and was wondering something.

A few weeks ago I noticed my hearing wasn’t normal like I remembered. Best way I can describe it is mildly distorted but even then I don’t know what counts as distortion. I also noticed I got tinnitus that reacted to noise (i.e when I hear a fan). For a while I also heard a beeping noise but today it seems like it has gone pretty down. My right eardrum makes what I describe as a crackling or vibrating sound when I hear something loud. I also have what I think is noise sensitivity or at least a few sounds are a little louder than I remembered.

I got my ears checked and turns out, allergies made my eardrums retract. Could these be symptoms of that?

I should note that I don’t feel pain or discomfort around everyday sounds.

2. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      For right now I'd give your ears a break, maybe you caught it early enough before any serious damage could occur. Probably wouldn't listen to any loud music for a while. Hopefully it clears up soon.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FireFox93
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, thanks. In fact, I’m starting to think that I just have noise sensitivity from allergies and not actual hyperacusis.

4. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Do you feel pressure in your ears?

It seems plausible for it to cause tinnitus since the eardrum can't transmit the vibrations to the cochlea. I would think the crackling is probably eustachian tube dysfunction which, I believe, is the usual cause for tympanic membrane retraction.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FireFox93
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I feel pressure in my ears.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FireFox93
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Could it be possible that I may not actually have hyperacusis? I mean I don’t feel any pain or discomfort and can actually be around everyday sounds. Best way I can describe it is having mildly increased noise sensitivity. I heard that blocked Eustachian tubes can cause that. As for distortions, I rarely hear them if at all.

7. Andrei88
      No Mood

Andrei88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Do you perhaps play in instrument?

Before I permanently damaged my hearing I had warning signs. Id get loud ringing in my ears after band practice, then it stay for about a day and go away, this started to take longer and longer to go away. Till one day when it all went BOOM! extreme pain for months and permanent ringing in the ears.

Rest your ears, and if you do get exposed to loud music then wear earplugs.

8. jack8092

jack8092 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      @kingsfan, what do you mean by "the eardrum can't transmit the vibrations to the cochlea". I have a similar condition after an acoustic shock. It is called reactive tinnitus. Basically I hear whistling over low frequency noises and vibrations. My theory is that it is a sound distortion caused by malfunctioning Tensor Tympani (I also have fullness) that is increasing pressure in the cochlea and thus influences the the way I perceive sounds.

Abnormal sustained contraction of the tensor tympani muscle with sustained inward displacement of the stapes unfortunately causes sustained increased inner ear pressure with compression of the outer hair cells and the generation of the symptoms of MD.

Source

Muscles.jpg

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FireFox93
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It says it can cause Meniere's disease, although I don't necessarily think I have it.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FireFox93
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I kinda play an instrument, though I’ve never been a fan of cranking up the volume. I have listened to music on headphones but even then I never had the volume above safe levels.

11. FearsforEars

FearsforEars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      two heavy metal guys playing amazingly loud + me no plugs
      Your profile picture and the symptoms remind me of me and my hyperacusis somehow.

If you're around loud amps and stuff and getting what resembles hyperacusis symptoms, I would stay on the cautious side. I would consider taking this extremely seriously but at the same time try to to develop an unhealthy anxiety towards it all that might actually make it come true.

if it is allergies you should find out pretty quickly with some anti-allergy pills and changing up your environment and seasons.

But if you've started to mess up your ears and just catching it early, well, a little sacrifice now while you are ahead will seem trivial compared to progression.

12. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      That's useful information, thank you.

@FireFox93 mentioned that he has been diagnosed with a retracted eardrum which, upon doing a google search, Eustachian tube dysfunction seems to be the common cause of. I'm just making guesses off the diagnosis they were given, hoping they'll just need a nasal spray and some OTC allergy meds to alleviate their problem.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FireFox93
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Should also clarify that I’m not in any band or anything.