Mild Vestibular Neuritis After Right Ear Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DrewATL, Dec 7, 2016.

1. DrewATL

DrewATL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vestibular neuritis
      Male/41 North Atlanta, GA
      Moderate Alcohol Use - No Illegal Drugs
      No Meds - Only Prescription 2mg of Valium (2x daily)
      900mg Turmeric (anti-inflammatory/viral)
      3-4 tbsp. of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar w/Food
      Multivitamin Daily

I've always had low-level Tinnitus (due to 20+ years of playing live music) but it was something I only noticed occasionally.

Friday November the 19th, after work I noticed a more high-pitched, but still low level ring in my right ear, shortly thereafter I had a fairly normal sinus/cold infection, the ringing became louder and more intrusive, just below normal conversation levels over the course of 3 days.

The following Monday (before Thanksgiving) I went to the ER thinking I had impacted wax, or an ear infection. I was briskly told by a hurried ER doc it was just swimmers ear and given drops due to what appeared to be a inflamed ear drum. Ok cool - so I had left over (non-expired) Amoxilcin (6 pills 500mg) I started on + taking with the drops 4x daily as prescribed through Thanksgiving. I was relieved.

The Friday after Thanksgiving I woke up and noticed very mild dizziness, a slight veer in my walk, again nothing major. So I went to my GP, I believe she mistakenly thought the milky-white drops were 'infection' and wanted to 'dry me up' prior to an ENT visit - I was given methylprednisolone shot in the arm (1mcg) to 'open me up' along with a 6 day (4mg each) pack of oral methylprednisolone + a nasal steroid and antibiotic Levaquin 500mg each.

I wasn't given clear instructions on when to start the oral steroid after the shot and had a bad mental reaction, so that and the Levaquin were stopped while my body purged/flushed the medication out across Saturday and Sunday. That Monday I was given an milder ZPak which I only got about 2 pills into. Looking back I believe my panic wasn't rush of steroids, it was the unsettling symptoms of Labs/VN + Tinnitus driving me over the edge.

Note: Throughout this period the Tinnitus was noticeable and disconcerting, high pitched and sleeping was difficult. Prior to this virus I would get the occasional zap of high-frequency Tinnitus, which would within seconds drop off and away.

So that Wednesday, November 30th I was able to see an ENT who after cleaning general debris/drop residue out of my right ear (and performing a hearing test determined) I had 'mild' Labyrinthitis, however I do not have the classic intermittent hearing loss - so I believe it's more likely I have Vestibular Neuritis.

So good news - 2 1/2 weeks into this ordeal the Tinnitus at times is almost back to my baseline, as in I really have to listen for it to be aware of it. Other times it's more muted but still high pitched. Progress?

Current Status:

I'm taking baby-sized doses of Valium, basically splitting 2mg for 4mg total throughout the day. It really keeps my worry at bay + stabilizes my minor balance issues. I can look around while walking, toss a water bottle between my hands, stand on one leg and balance, do the DUI heel/toe walk - even drive well.

However - I'm having a little confusion/trouble placing periphery sounds + noises that only caught my attention prior are very sharp to my ears + I have the occasional 'pang' of shooting pain behind both ears- nothing awful just odd.

The *worst* part is the lack of mental clarity, nervousness (if I don't take a Valium) and the drowsiness, it's like I am in a fog - which is really scary because my job requires a lot of interaction, skill and memory.

I know this forum focused more on one of my symptoms, Tinnitus - which is waning thank you God! However I am just totally out-of-sorts, delayed and dulled, I can't 'feel' time passing - that's the worst.

I know I'm not even three weeks into this, and I'm super lucky I don't have hearing loss or associated Vertigo that could land most in the ER but I just need this fog to lift - any ideas?

Thank you all so much - you have my respect and prayers for living with much worse then I am at the moment.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Drew,
      Welcome to tinnitus talk.
      I was going to tell you it does sound like labyrinthitus and resembles Menieres in some points but no vertigo or hearing loss.
      Get Cinnarazine from the chemist or buccastem to help your balance for a while it will help you.
      It can take longer settle as its secondry ear infection that effects your inner ear along with middle ear.
      Give it time and it should settle and brain fog clear.
      Get up slow and no sudden head moves will help and use extra pillow to sleep...lots of love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DrewATL

DrewATL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vestibular neuritis
      Thank you Glynis! Your words give me hope.

We don't have Cinnarazine here in the states, is there an equivalent?

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Buccastem or Betahistine or Proclorperazine . ..lots of love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DrewATL

DrewATL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vestibular neuritis
      Brits are the best! Thank you!

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. fish_bowl_head

fish_bowl_head Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, Drew!

Swimmer's ear. Pffffft. Really? I can't believe you went through all of that. If it was VN, how do they know whether it was viral or bacterial? If bacterial, which family of antibotics is more likely to clear it. And prednisone isn't something to take unless there's a very good reason for it, as it's hard on a body.

You could have an ear infection, which can produce mild vertigo, increase tinnitus if you have it, and make you feel as if you have a hangover without the party the night before. I hope the Vpack takes care of it. The fewer antibiotics overall, the better.

Sorry you went through all of that.

I hope that in your case it's an ear infection that clears. After I had what is assumed to be VN, I continue to feel as if I have a head cold (or hangover) when I don't. I have foggy brain most of the time, reactions are dulled. More sensitive to sound and to light.

How does a hearing test determine Lab or VN? I was tested, but they said my eardrums were OK and my hearing was fine. That's all they said, even though doctor thinks my earlier event was VN.

Isn't it amazing how many interesting "things" one can find in the UK and other countries? Our FDA makes sure we're "safe" and chained to a doctor's prescription. I noticed Betahistine available online if we can get a prescription. (Out-of-pocket, of course.) I wish we had more compounding pharmacies and druggists that could provide a wider variety of meds. I had to order a muscle rub from Canada as it's not available in the U.S.

I hope you are better soon.