Mobile Tinnitus Apps (for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc.)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leah, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I saw some apps for the iPhone and iPod, anyone have tried them?
      Some cost a bit more than I would like to pay if they are not useful.

Thanks.

2. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      * Ear infection * 20 years later huge sound increase due to stress
      Dear Friends,

I found a very useful iPhone app called "iSuppress" to mask the tinnitus. It has a a special sound structure and modulation function. It gives the best masking I have ever experienced.

Another good thing is, that as it works quite good, it gives opportunity to minimize the sound volume. And for this reason it is especially very useful at night in bed. I have a white-noise like tinnitus.
      So it is very hard to mask it. But this app helped me a lot. I strongly recommend it.

The price is $0.99.

Links:
      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/isuppress-premium-edition/id708525855?mt=8
      http://www.audiointegrations.mobi/iSuppress.html

It is for iPhone, but maybe there is an Android version of the same app too.

(Note: Same company has another app called "myTinnitus". This is for measuring your tinnitus pitch.
      So after you determine the tinnitus pitch, you can better use "iSuppress" for masking.)

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks will check it out.

4. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      * Ear infection * 20 years later huge sound increase due to stress
      @Leah, You are welcome. I hope it helps you, too.

5. EdnaLegume
      Cheeky

EdnaLegume Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      this works well for my T for masking and allows me to relax quite well. It's not a cheap app by any means but I absolutely love it and for me, it was worth every penny spent. I don't recall if the initial app costs, but you do get five or six tracks with the app, and then there are additional tracks for between $2 and $3 usd. I own them all. I use this app when I'm watching TV in the living room and just want to have some additional background noise to get my mind off the T. I use this app when I'm trying to nap and the fish tank is bubbling too loud. I use this app when I'm just puttering around the house and want some noise. Bluetooth headphones make this easy.

And I use this app every. single. night. to get to bed. I set it for 3 hours sometimes and 5 hours lately for the timer. If anything happened to my ipad, I'd leave my house immediately and buy a new one just for this app. (Granted I've now adopted my daughters ipod so I wouldn't be totally lost).

The app is Naturespace. (I'm not in any way affiliated, I just REALLY REALLY love this app and it's helped me a lot and some might find it helpful as well)

6. ashley
      Busy

ashley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/28/2014
      Hi all!

I haven't checked it out yet, but in the latest issue of Audiology Today they talk about diff apps to connect with your patients. One of them is called "Relax Melodies." The description is: "Tinnitus practitioners may need a free-sound generator for therapies. Patients are able to create their own personalized play list of sounds, or benefit from white noise and included music melodies."

I'm sure there's so many different apps out there and I know what works for some may not work for others, but definitely though I should at least share! We can all discuss our experiences with this app, or discuss other good ones! :D

• Like Like x 2
    7. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      Relax Melodies is excellent. In addition to lots of different soinds, which you can mix and change relative volumes of, it also generates beta and alpha waves to help with concentration, relaxation and sleep. It's also available for Android.

9. cocobean

cocobean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      I am not a great sleeper and even worse when my husband has tinnitus spikes, many of which he had last week :sleep::sleep::sleep:. I digress, when I need to 'find' a way to get to sleep I listen to the Deep Sleep app by http://www.withAndrewJohnson.com/ . It is fabulous.

Yesterday he messaged me to say that he hope to have some news in relation to an app for tinnitus sufferers in the coming month. I will be on the look out for it because it could well help tinnitus sufferers...particularly during the long night hours if your T is particularly bad.

I have no affliation with http://www.withAndrewJohnson.com/ other than the fact that he helps me to sleep!!!

hope this might help some of ye out there.

• Like Like x 1
    10. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @cocobean I'm glad you found his app! And please let us know about his tinnitus app. Hypnosis does help some people, and I'm presuming that's what his app will entail.

And I've used Johnson's sleeping app. It's very good. There's another one I also like because it comes with very nice graphics, such as flying through space. Very relaxing. The app is by Darren Marks and is available on iTunes and Android.

http://www.hypnosisappstore.com/sleep-deeply.html

11. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I think depending on the loudness that you think is acceptable of your T you can habitate to it. In the morning mine is not that loud if I had a good night sleep and than I think....well if this is it it's ok. But in the evening or when I'm stressed it can become realy loud and than I think....man....this realy is crap. One thing I do notice though is that the more negative I am against it...the worse it gets. It's hard staying positive but you have to try. Every person is different and remember the most successtories you don't hear or read about on the forums because people do not even know that this forum excist and just carry on with life. I know 8 people who got T for a long time and it did not get worse. I do think that if you scared that it becomes worse ...your brain will focus more and more on it so that it realy become worse. Of course that is not in all cases. But like another person said. Every T is different... it's hard to compare with somebody else....so keep in mind that it can be better over time. When my T first started I didn't want to go on no more.... at 1/2 year in I hated my T more than anything but wanted to go on with life. Now a full year in... I feel more happy about things and try not to hate T that much and found ways I sometimes hardly notice it. Keeping my mind of it does help me to cope with it. But remember you all have to find you own way of dealing with it...and this forum might help you get there

• Like Like x 1
    12. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      • Helpful Helpful x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    13. ChadFromMO
      Procrastinating

ChadFromMO Member

Ricky, I did try a few Sound Apps for my iPhone but the problem was these were not sounds I was used to. I live in Missouri and the sound of Cicada's is well known to my brain. I think this was the key. The masking sound has to be a sound in the correct pitch/frequency and something your brain recognizes!

Great post though. Masking has really helped me cope!

Chad

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
    15. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      The idea of taking a hearing test on an iPad or any other device other the the Audiometer that an Audiologist uses is a waste of time and energy though I won't lie when I was afraid to have my hearing checked I did some bs online tests...

16. safetdc
      Yeehaw

safetdc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004
      If you guys haven't tried it yet, there's an app for iPhone called Whist. it is supposed to be active noise therapy. I didn't find any relief, but it sure helped my family understand what I'm enduring. I am able to exactly duplicate my tinnitus for all to hear. It's funny how agitated they get. Then I tell THEM to stop being so grumpy! Sweet revenge.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    18. JmesB

JmesB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Hey everyone,
      I am new here and still exploring. My son recently bought me a new smartphone and I saw this as an opportunity to help me with my T. I was wondering what your opinions are on all those tinnitus apps in the app store. Are there some that have been very helpful to you? If so, why did you like them?
      Thank you,
      James

19. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @JmesB

My favorite by far is: myNoise. It has many useful sounds (whole library is $10) , it has an option to keep playing while other music apps are playing (mixing sounds), and it has customizable frequency mixing (this is extremely useful to tune the sound to your T range).

I use Octave to check frequency spectra and Decibels and Decibel 10th to check environment sound levels.

20. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Not sure where to put this exactly. But what are some masking sounds or applications you have on your iPhone? I would love to hear what you guys use or find work for you.

21. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      These are some good masking applications I use on my iPhone:

Phonak tinnitus
      Nature space
      Relax melodies
      Starkey relax
      And mynoise

Also dB volume to check how loud a room is.

Post your masking sounds or applications.

22. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      I use the app called White Noise (on android/blue icon), it comes pre-loaded with sounds but by installing the White Noise Market app (gray icon), you can download hundreds of sounds created by people for free. The sounds that best work fro me are Frying Bacon, Radio Static, Amazon Jungle and Beach Waves Crashing.

I recently started experimenting with an app called Relax Melodies and the two sounds I combine are Rain and Zen.

My main phone is a large Huawei Mate 9, so I bought a used iPhone 5s that I just use to bluetooth the sounds to my bluetooth LG Tones 900 and 910. I just keep the iPhone on airplane mode and I can last all day with both the phone and bluetooth headphones generating noise. I just let the left earbud hang over my left ear vs inserting it. It generates a loud enough sound that it masks my T.

White Noise app & Relax Melodies

Screenshot_20170318-022808 (1).png Screenshot_20170318-023454.png Screenshot_20170318-022928.png Screenshot_20170318-022854.png

23. neil33
      Pensive

neil33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      shift work
      Check out "Chromadoze" from the Google Play Store. This free app offers the ability to change the "White Noise" on the fly to match my hearing. My tinnitus is constantly changing so it works for me.

Also check out "Relax Melodies", the paid version for a couple of bucks. Cool stuff on tinnitus and meditations. Also on the Google Play Store.

24. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      I have an app, but unfortunately it is in Danish so I guess you won't benefit much from it. However I can tell you that it has helped me a great deal. In addition to masking sounds mine has a breathing exercise and a relaxation exercise which I really like. Especially the breathing exercise as it helps me to calm down when I get upset or try to fall a sleep. Mine was free but even if I had to pay a small amount for it I would totally do it!

25. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Anyone have any success using tinnitus apps from the Google play store?

26. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Anyone know a good masking app (for free) for high pitched tinnitus?

I went from a very mild tinnitus to a high pitched one out of the blue, and I'm in need of a new masker :/

27. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Need to bump this up. I'm in need of a good masking app for high pitched piercing T.

28. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I use cricket sounds from the ReSound app. It’s not as high pitch as my T, but it is closer than other sounds I have tried. I’ve used cricket sounds on other apps but feel ReSound’s are better for me.

In nature, cicada sounds are the closest that I’ve found.

29. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thank you. Is the app free?

30. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes! It is my preferred sound app and was recommended to me by audiologists at a university hospital. They were very knowledgeable about tinnitus and said not to bother with an expensive sound machine. Buying a sound machine with a limited selection seems unnecessary when today’s app technology enables better personalized customization.

You can mix sounds, like add pink noise to crickets. There is a large variety of sounds, and in checking just now I realized they added cicada sounds in a recent update.

I used an inexpensive speaker for months, but for Christmas received a small Bose Bluetooth speaker. It’s wonderful, really enjoy being able to move it throughout my house and the quality is great.

• Agree Agree x 1