Movie Theater Wayyy Too Loud!

Discussion in 'Support' started by ryant, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Does anyone hear have catostrophic t?

2. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Hi @MikeP505 Thank you for your thoughtful response! I am actually thinking hard about ways to avoid this setting in the future. I work lots of parties, but some come with this DJ/crazy loud factor. I NEVER WANT TO EXPERIENCE THIS AGAIN. Starting today, I am simply going to turn away these kinds of bookings and figure out any other way I can to replace the income. It is NOT worth it to me. I decided this when I woke up today, and then reading your words helped solidify it for me, so THANK YOU, Mike. You helped me a lot!

When you say above that the junior model filters better, did you mean that somehow 22 db is better that 32 db? I'm confused about the lower number vs. the higher? Wouldn't filtering out 32 db be better?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have zero interest in going back to measure the sound with an expensive sound meter just to prove a point. I looked at the iPhone meter only when thought it was getting too loud. You're really assuming a lot. You were not there so you don't know how loud it was. I also showed you how the app you questioned also underestimates volume levels, not the other way around. Movies these days easily average >100 dB. http://www.kcra.com/investigates/kcra-investigates-are-movies-getting-too-loud/32508212

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Correction: Not average >100 dB, but exceed 100dB.

5. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      @Path Maker

My apologies for not explaining this correctly. You stated the music on stage where you ASL has a reading of 120db. 120db is VERY loud. Killer loud if you continue to do these functions and events. So finding protection for your ears to block noise to a lower level is best. 32 db is decent, like riding in your car with no ear plugs. 22 db is even less noise. So depending on the product you try, and how it was tested to rate the db, the lower is always better. Junior muffs by 3M for some reason block more noise. Possibly designed that way because a younger person my not require to hear other surrounding voices etc as we do and the senior adult model that filters to 32bd will allow you to hear someone talk to you if they are close enough, abet not as loud as normally.

Also, the earpiece you wear to hear the words of the song from the mixer, how many db is that set at? Is it a comfortable average or is it turned up some so you don't miss a word to ASL with? So many things can come into play here with what you do. Not to say be afraid of it, but be informed of it. If you can hear the words thru the earpiece at a lower setting, than you should have a sign to signal to the mixer operator to lower the volume or up it if needed. Without added ear protection from earmuffs, I bet the earpiece is turned up some so it can be heard over the speakers you stand in front of. That alone can do permanent damage. Top it off with 120db from the speakers and your playing Russian Roulette. Before you quit these gigs all together, buy a cheap pair of 3M Junior or even Senior muffs. Wear then for a gig or 2. Tell the mixer to lower his signal to your earbud until it's just enough to catch all the words.

What you do as an ASL interpreter is very important in our lives today. Maybe just do a few less of the loud ones, or find only speech events like large meetings or public engagements to ASL at? Always some event that will require your skills. Know the risks in what you do. Take the safest approach with protection for your hearing in noisy environments. Trust me, the guy holding the event will care less if you suffer 10 years from now........ It's up to you to protect yourself or make sure you are protected.

6. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sam Bridge

What the hell is catastrophic t? I have Tinnitus that easily rates a 10, each and every moment I'm fully awake. Both ears ring so loud its maddening. I am also deaf in both ears. Would you call that catastrophic t?

7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Yeah i guess yours is.

Im guessing catostrophic is another word for severe, but then i read different definitions of severe so i'm not entirely sure what qualifies as severe.

8. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @MikeP505 Thanks again for your reply! You explained well about the junior ear protectors, etc. I'm not the ASL interpreter though :). That was a different poster! I'm someone else, and my thing is that I have to work in rooms with loud DJs (I provide an entertainment service at multiple parties which requires me to be in the party room for 2 - 3 hours, so I can't avoid the overwhelming "music."). Anyway, if you need more specific information from the poster who was the ASL interpreter, please just know that it was someone else in this thread. And thank you so much again. I truly appreciate this information. A moderate portion of my gigs do not involve this overwhelming DJ stuff, so I'm going to concentrate on booking more of those. And also use your suggestions!!

9. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I know a job is important, but is it really worth it ? What you describe seems like a violent nightmare you don't want to live. Earplugs are not a long term solution, they will just give your ears some more time...

10. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      You are so right. As of this morning, I am making plans to get rid of this part of my work. I am a children's party entertainer and I just spent four years starting this business from scratch. But there are elements of this work that require me to be in these halls and catering venues and these particular parties come with this DJ/"boom boom" element that I had completely not considered when I began this.

And you are so right.

It's NOT worth it. Not for me. Not with the tinnitus.

So I am going to have to use all my creativity and energy and develop other income streams because I have decided as of today that when calls come in to book me, I am going to have to turn away the ones where there will be a DJ present in an indoor location.

I'll figure it out. Because yes, again, you are so right. Thank you!

11. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Man, I'm happy to read that. I had to completely change my professional life because of T and H. It happened two times. I didn't want to, I just had to. If you need help to find new ideas, don't hesitate to PM me.

12. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Thank you, Foncky! I just may do that.

It's hard, because what I am doing I am passionate about and I love this new work better than anything I've ever done, and it's become a growing successful business!! Hard for me to have to purposely halt the momentum. But we all get challenges thrown at us in life, again and again, and the people who make it are the ones who learn to adapt, improvise and overcome (I believe I just borrowed a phrase from the Navy SEALS!).

13. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Ryant, you can compare the app with SPLnFFT with any sound source. You don't have to go back anywhere. Also, if you are concerned about SPL levels you can buy relatively cheap meters off Amazon that comply with IEC 651 type 2 and ANSI S1.4 type 2 standards. I've been dealing with sound professionally since the age of 15 and I'm also a sound engineer. I can honestly say that I've never been to a cinema that gets anywhere close to 100db (that's in the realm of a rock concert). It's just far too loud, a lot of people would leave with or without T or at least complain. I've been to cinemas in LA, Florida and all over the UK, and I'm a huge movie buff so I've been to my fair share of movies.

Most people whisper in the cinema as it's the etiquette not to spoil the film. Speaking at normal volume would definitely stand out above the movie; people would turn and look at you. At 100db you could shout and not be heard.

Based on what decibel 10th said and my experience of cinemas I'd be fairly confident your film was within a normal cinema range of 75-88ish. Dialogue scenes are mostly in the 60's somewhere.

Anything above 80 can seem very loud. It all depends on how adjusted your ears are. By this I mean the phenomenon whereby your ears change in sensitivity after going through a quiet spell. For example having your music on in the car at a comfortable level, then getting into your car the next morning to find your music is LOUD! And you nearly have a heart attack as you turn it down.

14. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Path Maker

OOps, sorry I confused you with another post. I was going to read up to be sure but didn't. My bad!! lol

Good luck with everything my friend.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sam Bridge

Got it. Thanks. Thought maybe I was missing something.

16. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      • Winner Winner x 1