MRI with Contrast Dye

Discussion in 'Support' started by cmmackie, Nov 28, 2017.

1. cmmackie

cmmackie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus's & burst eardrum
      Can pulsatile tinnitus be assessed without the contrast dye??
      I don't mind going for an MRI but not keen on the dye part as I have heard so many bad things about the heavy metal dye remaining in your body and causing other issues.

2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I did the contrast with MRI.
      DONT DO IT! I REGRET IT SO MUCH NOW.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      In my opinion MRI should not be done by anyone with tinnitus or hyperacusis. I got tinnitus after doing an MRI. I had nothing before the exam. The noise was extremely loud. I also think it depends on the machine. Only the most modern and well-maintained machines do not have this horrible noise, but you still have to wear hearing protectors (better if it is double protection). I regret it so much too. Most doctors do not know this!

4. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Did you wear earplugs? I wore earplugs and had extra cushion.

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have been visiting doctors for years regarding hyperacusis. Well, before you go for an MRI explain to your doctors what is your guess about the likely cause of your hearing problems. Mine are noise induced. Then ask your doctors what are they expecting to find on the MRI and what can they do for you if they find something. Some hearing problems have no cure today, there is no medication to address them and surgeries are experimental and not well understood. If your problem falls within one of these cathegories, you would be better off without going for an MRI, which can only worsen your symptoms. I was also thinking about getting an MRI done but I talked to several doctors and they said it is extremely unlikely that they are going to find something there that they can fix.

6. Shaunie

Shaunie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral infection, Ménière's, Sporadic hemiplegic migraine
      I just want to say, I know probably won't help , but I have had three MRI scans now, but I have alwaysed asked for a quiet MRI scanner as there have several in the U.K. Now, and made them fully aware of my t and h , they can set the MRI scanner on a quieter mode to, made sure I had inner ear wax plus and then sponge form ones over the top and then sound cancelling headphones on top. This made the Mei scan bearable and my first one was scary as I was worked up about it all due to the fear and knowledge of how it's caused t for people, but no I just have a small spike due to my own anxiety, the other Mri scans I've had any never caused me any issues fir my t but I would ask and make the doctors and nurses well aware of your t and ask to be sent to a quieter machine . Sorry it's nit helpful for the original post but hope in future if ever needed again it will help