MRI

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (Archived Answers)' started by Lisa88, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not accepting new questions.
    Dismiss Notice
tinnitus forum
    1. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi Dr. Nagler,
      A few months ago, I had two MRI's. First I had a brain/ear MRI without contrast only. Then two weeks later, a brain/ear MRI with contrast. The first without contrast showed hyperintensities in the white matter of the left frontal lobe. The second with contrast two weeks later showed all clear.
      I know there could have been a fault with the machinery here.
      But as a surgeon who has dealt with MR before, I ask you this:
      First question: What shows up on non contrast MRI that does not show up on with contrast MRI?
      I had thought the with contrast was the master of all MRIs.
      Second question: Should those with non pulsatile t get an MRA?
      Thanks, Dr. Nagler.
      Lisa

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I am not a neuroradiologist, but here's how I have come to understand it specifically in regards to the work-up for tinnitus. When an MRI of the brain and internal auditory canals is indicated (for example to rule out acoustic neuroma in a patient with unexplained asymmetrical tinnitus), large tumors will generally be readily seen on a non-contrast study, but smaller tumors might only be seen on a contrast study because the contrast enhances the tumor. However, unless you have a non-contrast study to use in comparison, it is possible even a contrast-enhanced small tumor might be missed.

Generally not except possibly in the case of an unexplained constant non-pulsatile somatosound originating in the head or neck, but even that's a stretch.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

Dr. Stephen Nagler