Music as an Aid to Help Habituate to Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RobertFahey, Jan 4, 2019.

1. RobertFahey

RobertFahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe sinus infection
      When you have music playing, you eventually tune it out and focus on something in the "foreground." That's exactly what you're trying to accomplish with tinnitus, right? So why not use music as a "magnet" that attaches to your tinnitus and drags it into the background?

2. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Uh, wouldn't that just be masking?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, and I listen to music and podcasts in the car. However, I do so with the audio at the lowest level I can hear it at. I also never use earbuds or headphones, although never used them before T either.

Not sure if this helps habituate, but figure it does not hurt.

4. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
    5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      what if they have muffled hearing, loss of high pitches, noise induced pain, loudness amplificaiton of certain frequencies.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What was the cause of your T then?

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      In theory you are correct and for some people such as yourself this might work. However, tinnitus and the way the brain works is complicated. Music draws attention to itself and can evoke emotion. It is for this reason many tinnitus therapists, advise not to use music at night for "sound enrichment" as the brain will have difficulty distracting itself from the music. At night it is much better to use "nature sounds" as this doesn't draw attention to itself so easily.

Nature sounds played at night by the bedside at a level below the tinnitus, over time the brain will slowly push the tinnitus into the background. This happens while we sleep. Although some people with tinnitus sleep in a quiet room, this is not usually a good thing to do. If the brain hears silence it will increase it's background activity and thus the tinnitus will be increased too. Sound enrichment supplies the brain with low level sound enabling it to reduce its background activity and also the tinnitus.

During the day one can use music for sound enrichment. Ideally relaxing low level music or classical is best. Again, the purpose here is not to draw too much attention to itself because a masking effect can result, especially if one is using music as a therapy for tinnitus, hyperacusis and to aid habituation.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Gas powered lawn equipment, mostly a weed whacker, and a neighbor who put up too tall of a fence that created some wicked reverb of the noise that amplifies the whole thing.

9. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Reminds me of my initial incident with the garage door, which I'm beginning to think was more of a barotrauma due to the intense shockwave my ear copped. Or something to that effect.

10. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, I never paid attention to that electric garage door opener, but now I hit the button and stay inside the house when it runs.

11. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How's your T now?

12. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Better but not gone. I am about 4 mos into this. I continue to use ear plugs liberally but not continuously with louder noises, drink green tea, and daily omega 3. I estimate the T was as loud as 70db at the peak. I think it is down to the 50's now as my fridge almost completely masks it. My H has improved a lot also, although I still prefer the TV at a lower volume. There are still good days and bad days.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Digital Doc that is great news! The fact that it is getting better after a few months is very good, I think you'll see yourself getting better in time to come :)

14. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Hariz Nonis

Thanks, and yes, it was great news when it suddenly started to turn the corner and subside around New Year. Just need to keep up the regimen.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Digital Doc yeah, hopefully it turns out well. For all of us.