Musician with Tinnitus and Hyperacusis (Not Giving Up!)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Alessandro Rossi, Apr 18, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Alessandro Rossi

Alessandro Rossi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2011
      Good Evening tinnitus mates,

New to the forum but really glad to have found it. I'm a musician and play in a small metal band here in Italy. Started to face tinnitus problems 8 years ago, as well as hyperacusis. Now I can't stand to enter rehearsal rooms without earplugs (NRR 33). And of course can't stand gigs/loud pubs without earplugs.
      Sometimes even with the protection I get strong headaches after gigs, with the ring getting louder for a week.
      I'm playing pink noise by night since 4 years and now I'm trying audio notch methods, doing my own mixes of notched pink noise (discovered notching here in the forum!) and sounds of nature.
      Anyway I'm not giving up with live music, I'm confident that in the near future we'll have more hopes of getting well.
      Any other musician here in the forum? How do you face T ?

• Like Like x 2
    2. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Long time before my T getting louder, I noticed that using anything in my earcanals, like earphones without sound, made me feel a headache... Still today, I believe that, if I insert the earplugs so deep they make give me head, TMJ and ear pain. Maybe it's worth for you to check it out.

Regards!

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Welcome to the forum. I am not a musician but can relate to your problem with T & H. I lived through hell with them. But my type of H just slowly faded, like many other members have reported. I did mention in my success story post about a successful lady jazz singer Melody Gardot who has had to wear ear plugs all the time while practicing or performing with her band due to severe T & H. Perhaps there is hope there for you to continue your music career but you are the best judge on your sound tolerance limit. Check the guiding light section of my story for Melody's story in more detail. She even performed on David Letterman's show who also has 2-tone T 7/24. LOL.

http://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-to-light-how-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

4. Alessandro Rossi

Alessandro Rossi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2011
      I noticed that too, expecially because I tend to push them too much in the ears when I feel worried about the loudness. Now I'm trying different earplugs to find the most confortable. First I was using 3M ear classic, now I'm going to try Howard Leight MAX and Hearos Xtreme Protection. Thanks alot for your feedback:)

5. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Maybe double up on protection, like earmuffs over the plugs during rehearsals?
      The earmuffs will protect you better from the lower freqs.

6. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've heard of "musician's ear plugs." Is that what you have? Also, I use noise cancelling headphones and it helps with the H in loud situations. Not a musician though but love music!

7. Alessandro Rossi

Alessandro Rossi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2011
      Hi Sebastians, I've tried this solution before, but for some reason the earmuffs over earplugs makes everything resound/rumble in a weird way. I should try with better quality earmuffs.

8. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      Ciao! I am happy you have found some relief with your T. I am not a musician, but in my job I often use Audacity and software like that. Should I explore the notch methods in your opinion?