Must Get Impacted Wisdom Teeth Out — Can I Request the Surgeon to Avoid Using a Drill?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wmon, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Wmon

Wmon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2020...kind of
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      I went to the dentist recently after having some jaw pain and was told that I have to get my impacted wisdom teeth removed. I am extremely nervous all of a sudden.

My mouth is in danger if I don't do this, but my ears are in danger if I do...

Can you request that the surgeon avoid the use of a drill? I think I read something about that somewhere.

I have had tinnitus for about 6 months now. It seems to have been caused by something around my head, neck, and jaw area, but haven't got a chance to see an ENT to figure out what the cause is for sure.

The ball is rolling so fast on this procedure and I am having trouble sleeping because of how worried I am. I was told by my therapist to not even mention the tinnitus to my surgeon during the consultation because it might make him nervous about being sued. But I think talking to my surgeon about this would make sense.

Maybe it's best not to go through with it at all. I don't know... At a loss about what I should do...

-Will

2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      First of all is the jaw pain related to impacted wisdom teeth? Has it been diagnosed by an oral surgeon?

Have they ruled out things like grinding for example, TMJ disorder, muscle tension... which can all cause jaw pain too?

Wisdom teeth, if not causing trouble by the age of 30, usually never will need removal.

Millions of people live with impacted teeth, my husband being one.

And to your question about dental drill, unfortunately no way around it, fully impacted means literally buried in the bone so the only way to get them out is by drilling. partially impacted can usually be removed with minimal or no use of drill.

Also definitely speak to the surgeon about your tinnitus and sack the idiot telling you not to.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wmon

Wmon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2020...kind of
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      They said that there is no way to be sure if it's the wisdom tooth that is causing the jaw pain; however, they found a cyst that needs to be removed along with the tooth. They noted my worry about the tinnitus, but told me that they have to use a drill. I'm petrified.

A year ago I wouldn't have cared one way or another, but I have heard so many people on here who have had their lives changed for the worse after dental work like this. I could have never imagined myself in a situation like this.

4. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      My dad is 80 and just had a tooth removed for an implant. He said there was very little drilling, some in the beginning. There may be various factors involved that cause a need for more drilling such as, location, root formation, tooth density, etc. In his case the drilling was minimal and there was more pulling, etc. with a completely numbed area. It might not be as much as you are thinking about. Talk over your concerns with the oral surgeon, maybe he can give more insight into the details of the procedure.

Best to you,
      twa

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I remember you from years back, valeri. How are you doing?

My impacted wisdom tooth doesn’t bother me but food is stuck there now, causing a painful infection.

I had a similar infection 4-5 years ago.

I am seeing a dentist to see if they can take extra skin out that’s on top of the tooth. No way am I getting drilling done.

6. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Don’t they have laser instead of drill?