MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Raab
      No Mood

Raab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2007; 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I dunno... €2600. That's a lot of pints.. lot of pints. :oldman:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Raab
      I can help you with 50%
      Just pray that it works

• Like Like x 1
    3. Raab
      No Mood

Raab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2007; 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      50%? Of the fee?! My goodness, I wouldn't ask such a thing brother. Thank you for your generosity however..

Though not substantial proof, I can tell you that I've heard anecdotal evidence of a man who claims he found a 90% improvement in his T. Couldn't sleep, had to receive counselling for a year, nearly lost his job (bus driver). But with this treatment it went from unbearable to almost unnoticeable. Apparently, he is back driving and can sleep again.

Like everyone else here, I'm hoping its not just some kind of glorified ACRN - though the singular and quite amusing aspect of stimulating the trigeminal nerve via the tongue does seem novel in its T treatment approach
      (maybe they just get a cruel kick out of making people look like gobshites while taking their money?:ROFL:..)

So I will continue to wait and see what solid results will come to light before I would consider trying this.. Still early days yet!

• Like Like x 2
    4. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I hope this is true . I will help with 90 %:huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      @Raab

Hi Raab,

Where did this anecdote come from?

The Mutebutton is as disingenuous as all the other "Treatments" out there.

It released without any proof whatsoever that it worked to any degree.

The initial launch consisted of very light one sided interviews on Irish Radio programs where the Hosts invariably had the IQ of a flipflop and didnt pose any questions whatsoever.

The 2 Individual testimonies on the website are laughable. I think they used that same woman on the Radio Broadcasts aswell.

They have used no numerical or statistical measurements at all in indicating just how much a reduction to expect.

This is just Neuromonics with a Tongue Tickler. A bit like the vagus nerve but using the Tongue instead of the Nerve.. And thats giving them an angle they never even thought of themselves...

The only hope on the horizon is AUT000063 (The Biggest Hope) followed by Vagus Nerve Treatment...

Until then TRT is all there is. I'm currently doing this at the moment but just checked in on the Mutebutton out of curiosity.

If all there is is silly anecdotes going around for this thing - Goodnight. Its 2015 - Anecdotes are as good as horse racing tips.... If theres no name no face and no specifics then forget about it.

The Mutebutton is another Enterprise Ireland Funded load of Rubbish that will never amount to anything. The reason its all over the papers is that the device looks like an Ipod and it has generated 10 Jobs... Nothing absolutely nothing has to do with any proven ability to tackle tinnitus. (But hey at lest it looks stylish and wouldnt be out of place should you take it out on the DART on the way home).

R

6. Raab
      No Mood

Raab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2007; 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hey RCP1.

A friend of mine works with the buses himself and knows of tinnitus through my own experience. Somehow he got speaking to this gentleman at length about the condition and the man related his own experience to him. I don't know him personally. I wasn't going to say anything about it because it's insubstantial as I said, but I decided it would be better to share information on the topic rather than not.

It wouldn't be very smart of me to base its efficacy on this one instance of course, and I do only have a tertiary interest in this treatment myself because I don't hold much hope of it being effective for the same reasons as yourself and others here. There is not enough information, and the price, though expensive already, is especially unjustifiable because of this.

However, I can't dismiss that it seemed to have helped this fellow, he gave it his recommendation, and if that is the case then I am very glad for him. Anyway, there is no choice but to continue to wait for results. Either it works or it doesn't, and I'm afraid only time will show us which it is.

I agree with you that the most promising remedies being worked on at the moment are Autifony's drug and the electro stimulation of the Vagus nerve. It's a good time to have tinnitus! I believe it will be an even better time in the future.

I've never tried TRT myself but I hope that it goes well for you. :)

7. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I hear the mute button comes with a case of Guinness. (Just trying to add some levity to a serious issue)

I suffer daily with this horrid demon! If I could grab hold of this little monster, I'd take it out in the backyard and beat it to death with a hammer!

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      This is absolute bull crap! It is nothing like the Vagus nerve stimulation. Vagus nerve stimulation (serenity system) is ,as far as I know, the only therapy that has any hard results in humans. Allmost everybody, not using an ssri or benzo, responded to the the treatment with an average reduction of 26 dB in tinnitus loudness (http://www.utdallas.edu/~sxv140030/...tinnitus._A_case_series._Neuromodulation..pdf). Vagus nerve stimulation is probably the only treatment for tinnitus within the next decade without significant side effects that has proven to have potential.

Vagus nerve stimulation is a very well documented mechanism to direct plasticity in the brain. It is developed in the last decade. Articles published in respectable journals (Like Nature, Elsevier).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      VNS upload_2015-1-12_13-6-49.png
      place Battery in my chest for ever is not interessting.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      If you want the device can be removed once the treatment is done. The first prototype was an external device. Just a wire and clip are surgically placed.

It sure as hell beats having to take brain messing medication for the rest of your life.

11. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Sjoerd

Can you do it once it will be available for the public ?

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013

I do not have to. VNS is used (with much more intensive stimulation) in thousands of epilepsy patients. The device is already FDA approved (it has been for years).

My tinnitus is currently not a big problem, so I am not seeking any treatment (although it would be nice to get rid of it). But, this treatment is on the top of the list....if I would seek treatment. If the current trial shows potential. tVNS will be tested as-well. Even cheaper and non-invasive.

back-on topic:

I found this website (sonic lab). They do research in multimodal stimulation and tinnitus. Might this be related to the mute button device?

http://soniclab.umn.edu/people.html

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Sjoerd
      Now mutebutton company is seeking for the FDA approval .I think that their device works realy.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      I sure hope it works. But I do not find any real research supporting it.

15. Raab
      No Mood

Raab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2007; 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      You'll have every fucker in Ireland queueing up for it now.. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. RJC
      Confused

RJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan/2014
      Hopefully the mute button is an option for all of us who suffer this horrible infliction. We need more real reviews and information before spending that amount of money. I missed out on getting on the trials but there has to be information out there and it seems those trialists maybe tied into contracts. Hence the silence! No guinness for me thanks

17. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      The device should be released during Summer 15 in England if i remember correctly, we'll see :)

18. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

This device is approved but never tested in a clinical trial. When I asked for more information on this device, I was told by telephone that its inventor died prematurely and is therefore only available for purchase private with the magic formula "money back". I did not find hospitals or clinics who experience this device.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Stephen Hawking narrating the second video

20. RJC
      Confused

RJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan/2014
      The inventor of mute button Dr O'Neill is alive and well and has been working on this new system for 4 to 5 years from what I understand. He has been interviewed on Irish radio on the invention a few times and one of the people who interviewed him is a radio presenter called Derek Mooney who has suffered from tinnitus for many years. As mentioned earlier the reviews will need to be issued before I would buy a unit and that is the same for most sufferers as most of us are skint from trying new remedies. Another Irish invention for tinnitus are Restored Hearing who are tailoring their product recently and are offering 1 month free trial if anyone is interested. Worth a try while we await the MB results.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      a month of its launch but nobody mentioned his experience ?

22. RJC
      Confused

RJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan/2014
      Hearing loss has touched his immediate family so he is extremely keen on the entire hearing loss and ways of improvement for people like ourselves who suffer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. thesaint
      Confused

thesaint Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitched fans
      I just got an email from mutebutton saying that purchases are now available in Ireland. This seems to be the same as it was in late 2014. And.....who can afford one of these devices. I certainly cannot!!! If this device is having the success it claims, than I think every hospital throughout the world should have these available for tinnitus sufferers so that it wouldn't be necessary for the individual to fork out this kind of cash. Your thoughts, anyone?

24. RJC
      Confused

RJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan/2014
      Very good points from thesaint but just a few comments, mute button told me that each unit has to be configuered to the purchaser hence the cost of the fitting cost of 100 euros, if people shared the device everyone would be best to have their own tongue sensor 150 euros which could work at much less cost. Reports for the device are very promising but we need to see reviews and later results. We live in hope. RJC. Ireland

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I guess it's gonne take some time before we can get some reviews on this product, i guess they are going for elderly people who usually don't use forums like this one

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. RJC
      Confused

RJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      jan/2014
      James, You would expect that reviews should be coming out on mute button site surely if they are marketing it properly. I intend to investigate this week.

27. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Moderators, you could check if any registered TT users are from Ireland and just ping them about this that are you aware of Mutebutton?

28. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2700 pounds for the unit works out about 4200 cdn $$$$

29. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      2700 pounds is not expensive if it works really

30. briano
      Wishful

briano Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Have they released their test study data yet?