My Battle with Tinnitus Was Over

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Rick Garner, Apr 3, 2017.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Hello Nina,

Sorry for the late reply. I am pretty sure that my friend wouldn't remember what medication he took about 7~8 years back. I will ask him anyway, and let you know.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Katelyn

Katelyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I suddenly suffer tinnitus recently .. 2 doc give different answer .. i so confuse n depressed about it .. will tympanogram increase the tinnitus volume? Is it Only by tympanogram to determine the ETD ? The audiogram is just to check the hearing condition ? How long you take nasal spray until you don't have the tinnitus?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Hi Katelyn,

I don't think a tympanogram will increase the tinnitus as the duration of the test is very short. Yes, the audiogram will check your hearing. I used the spray daily for about 5 months. BTW, you are so new to tinnitus, hang in there, it will take a lot of time either to vanish or fade to the level where you can ignore it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Katelyn

Katelyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for replaying me .. sorry I'm gonna ask few more questions..

i had tinnutes at my right ear only .. do you think my tinnitus are cause by ETD .. since i do have nose allergic and do have the do take nasal spray previously to treat it but doesn't spray the way video you shared.. and discontinued it around 2 months ago .. could the ET inflamed ?

btw, is it popping the ear will make it much better ? I found that i having hard time pop my both ears by doing valsalva maneuver even after doing it countless times .. the doc checked my ain't got earwax n condition is good .. somehow I feel my right eat that got tinnitus feel like it blocked .. Do you repeatedly doing so in order to pop it or success after few try ? it necessarily to do it everytime or everyday ?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Hi Katelyn,

The cause of the tinnitus is always very difficult to find. If you can not pop your ears, there is a very high chance that your ET is not functioning properly. You have to find a good ENT to diagnose this condition. In my case, it was my 3rd ENT who clearly identified my ET problems and prescribed the nasal sprays.
      You said you didn't have ear wax. Again, in my case it was the ear wax that blocked my ET. I used the spray correctly and eventually the tinnitus faded away. It was my ENT who asked me to do valsalva maneuver everyday by repeating once an hour or so. I think it helped a lot.
      My advice is go to a good ENT and try to find out the root cause of you tinnitus.

6. RockyDoctah
      Musical

RockyDoctah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/10/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really sure...Bad ear infection?
      You are way luckier than I am. I am still not 100% sure what exactly caused my T, My hearing is perfectly normal. It started with an ear infection and it just never went away. Lucky, lucky you.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Hi Rocky,

I am really sorry for your suffering. Just like you said may be I got lucky. Anyway, my tinnitus was only intense at the beginning. After 3 months it became an unnoticeable hiss, and starting at that point, I had this strong feeling that it was going to go away. In the last 3 months I heard this hissing about 95% of the time but I had some days it was gone and then reappear the next day, something like on and off. In mid March this year it stopped. Since then I have been taking a very good care of my Eustachian tubes.

8. Lulu99

Lulu99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but I think because ETD
      Hi @Rick Garner
      I have been dealing with tinnitus since a year and 1 month in my left ear
      I hear this high noises my T is strange i have multiple sounds and
      I feel my left ear is full "blocked" and I can hear my heartbeat only when I put my head down or when I pend offer to pick something also I noticed when I go to sleep on of my nostrils is closed when I wake up my throat is very dry
      So after 3 or 4 months I went to the Dr told him about my
      Ear blocked but I didn't told about my T he said the blocked ear maybe from ur nose or form ear wax will see right now after examination he told me I have nose allergy cause my eastacion tube blocked give me a allergy pills and a nasal spray he sayed use them for 2 weeks and all of that will go away , will it didn't see any improvement at all I think it made my ear wors after two weeks

I went too see him again told him I didn't see any improvement he said thats Impossible u muste be feeling better come on after after examination my ears he says isee your doing good i'll give u different
      Nasel spray I mentioned to him about my T and I don't hear verey will he said oh you will be ok don't worry I see your doing will the pictures of you ear drum is good better then the last time u came I ask him what if I didn't feel better he told me will do a hearing test for u but you have come in another time but when I do the hearing and everything is fine and I'm sure it's fine don't come here again there is no need is I'll do the test just to make sure everything is fine after that don't come again the hearing test & the pic of ur ear drum don't lie and start to make jokes

Will I didn't went to see after that it seems he want git red off me I still have my tinnitus since the medication he give i think it got worse my left ear start hear popping and on of my nostrils is blocked only when i go too sleep this issue got wors after the pills & nasel spry
      I'm sad don't know what to do I didn't listen to loud music i dont use earpuds since i got My T even when i was using them on low or medium level never too loud and mostely i put thim in my right ear not my left ear , ugh too young to have this I'm very depressed I thought it will go away but I didn't :(
      Sorry if my english is bad

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Hi Lulu,

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from tinnitus. In most cases, it is very difficult to find out what really is causing the tinnitus. You can try a different ENT doctor. I am pretty sure, since you haven't abused your ears by exposing to loud sound for long periods, the chances of yours going away or settles to the background is prety high. Hang in there, time is the healer.

• Like Like x 1
    10. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      This is so great. Doctors who can diagnose your cause are equal to gods in my eyes. You are lucky and congrats on getting back your silence. Happy for you.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Thank you, anusha, I hope you will have a full recovery as your tinnitus is not noise induced. Just give it time and relax as much as possible without paying attention to the tinnitus.

12. Markus Wikström

Markus Wikström Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Twisted neck
      This story reduced my stress and tinnitus volume. Thank you. I got a high pitched sound (17khz) in both ears 3 weeks ago in both ears. My hearing is perfect. I had a ear infection prior to when this started. I am afraid and falling into depression. I hope it will fade away.

13. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      Thank you for sharing @Rick Garner
      Somehow I missed this post earlier and it's actually great to hear, that someone had fully recovered from ETD. My GP diagnosed me with that and I'm already on nasal spray, but still waiting for my ETN appointment, National Health Service in UK not so good.

I have a question, when I do Valsalva manoeuvre my left ear (which I have T in), it can pop, but when I stop I have this ear fullness with muffled hearing, and only when I swallow, it comes back to normal. Does it indicate ENT in your opinion?

Btw. After two months (one month on the spray) I'm getting better, T is still here but quieter, hopefully in another few weeks it will disappear completely.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Hi dorje,

First of all, what a coincidence! I got tinnitus in the exact same month (November) in 2016, and yours in the same month in 2017. Anyway, when you do Valsalva, do it very gently. It will take time to clear up the clogged tubes. Popping your tinnitus ear is a very good sign that your tubes have started to clear up. Just keep going. You will definitely see a noticeable improvement after 3 months. As long as you haven't damaged your ears by exposing to loud sounds suah as concerts, clubbing or long term use of headphones at higher volume, I am pretty sure you will be fine. Just give it time, and time is the healer.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There are some people on this forum who Got their T as a result of Valsalva. It is not safe, and it won't do anything about your ear fullness. I recommend that you stop doing it.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Hi Bill,
      I think it may not work for some people but might work for others. Believe me I still do it from time to time in order to make sure that my tubes are clear.

• Like Like x 1
    17. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      Yep, coincidence :) Hopefully I'll recover as relatively quickly as you. Thank you for responding and precious advises :)

Thank you Bill for letting me know. I'm a bit confused now. I've just searched forum and in fact, there is a lot of people saying it's dangerous. I'll keep that in mind but probably I'll keep going that, but very very carefully and gently. I'll let you know guys in few days.

But I'm thinking - there a liquid in my ET and I need to get it out somehow. Do you think guys I would be able to do that using only nasal spray, balloon and steam?

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When I wrote my other post, for some reason I thought you were trying to use Valsalva maneuver to alleviate ear fullness due to being exposed to noise. If there is liquid in your E tubes, and an ENT told you to use Valsalva to clear it, then do it, but make sure to be as gentle as you can. If you had never talked to an ENT about the use of Valsalva maneuver in your case, then it will be a good idea for you to ask your ENT about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. dorje
      Transparent

dorje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, might be ENT
      Actually I wasn't diagnosed with ETD by ENT because I'm still waiting for my appointment. Takes ages here in UK. I assume that I have ETD because my GP, looking into my ear, told me that the eardrum in my left ear is sucked in, there is negative pressure inside and it looks like there is a liquid behind the eardrum. That's why he prescribed me nasal spray and it seems that I'm slowly getting better, my T is quieter then it used to be at the beginning. But also when I drink water in the morning I can feel right then that something is clogging my ear. And sometimes it seems that I have a very faint pain in my ear. So I guess it's ENT.

But I can't be 100 % sure. I have no idea why, when I wake up in the morning, my T is down to minimum or sometimes zero, like today, I couldn't hear it at all, despite trying very hard. It's only when I start moving around, it develops slowly. Also when I have day off and I stay at home, my T doesn't reach the level, which it normally does, when I work. So I guess it develops because fluid in my ear starts to move as well or it might be the noise, and like you say in another post, how our ears have been compromised and it takes less to hurt them. Which one of these is the reason - I have no idea. Maybe both. I hope my ENT will have some answers for me :) But thank you for responding and warning me, I really appreciate that and also your contribution in this forum. Thank you :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    20. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      @Rick Garner that video was very helpful. It's amazing how many doctors can't explain how to use a nasal spray. As for myself I was doing it all wrong and after watching that things are better although the Apple cider vinegar really worked

21. Lulu99

Lulu99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but I think because ETD
      HI dorje
      i think i have ETD i have tinnitus in my left ear like you
      i took the nasel spry for two months didn`t do anything for me the T is still here the clogged feeling also didn`t go away also i can hear my heart beat only if i put my head down
      when i wake up my T is very quite like you but after like five second start to become high and sometimes my T suddsnely become very very high for seconds then slowly turn quite i know its strange hahaha i didn`t lestin to loud music and i have this problem i hope your tinnits fade away you still new to this

22. dazraf

dazraf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Just word of warning theres a small percentage of people that get anxiety and panic attacks from the steroid nasal spray, Flixonase [Flonase in usa]. I was taking it for two weeks and it turned my life upside down. I experienced panic attacks like you would not imagine, took me ages to realise what was causing it.

Again, it may not happen to everyone but just be ware

23. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      @Rick Garner hi which AD were you taking? I have been wanting to take one but read horror stories of it making T worse and my T is very reactive to foods, etc.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Dear Dginobile,
      I used Xanax extended 2mg for two weeks only in my acute stage in the first 2 months. It did lower the volume of my tinnitus. Please note that Xanax is addictive in the long run. Amitriptyline is a good alternative to improve your sleep. It is non addictive. Although it is classified as an AD, it is usually used to treat chronic pain. That said, Xanax really helped me with sleep when I was struggling.

25. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      @Rick Garner hi I’ve been on Xanax since the onset so almost 6 weeks .5 mg three times a day in the beginning it did lower the volume but obviously I’ve grown too dependent and my tolerance has been built up so it’s not as effective I just left my doctor and he prescribed me Lexapro starting me at the lowest dose possible I did have existing depression anxiety and OCD prior to Tinnitus so he thinks that it will be beneficial for me but like most T sufferers I am terrified to start any new medication

26. mt5
      Scared

mt5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD, most likely
      Hey Rick, one question ... did your ETD start with an ear infection? My ENTs are pretty sure that ETD is what is causing my T. Using some nasal sprays to fix it up now like you. Much like you, I first noticed the symptoms when I woke up randomly one morning.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Hi mt5,

I had ETD due to heavy crusted ear wax. My left eardrum was totally stuck and there was no way to equalize pressure. This was the root cause of my tinnitus. You can use a spray but you have to do it in the correct way as the video shown in the first page of this thread, otherwise it is useless just to spray into nostrils. In order to clear up your tubes, you have to make the liquid flow through your tubes by doing valsalva maneuver. It worked for me very well. But, I am not advising you to do valsalva because it does not work for everyone as it makes tinnitus louder for some sufferers. Good luck with your efforts!

28. mt5
      Scared

mt5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD, most likely
      My ENT recommended valsalva and nasal spray to do ..

Just a quick question, did anything you do change the sound of your T? Mine seems to be fading away as time goes on, but if I take a hot shower it makes it sound louder for like 5-10 minutes after.

29. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Look up the Toynbee maneuver, there are several tube clearing procedures beside valsalva.

30. Radu Chris

Radu Chris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown (TMJ or rhyinits)
      Hello, fellow sufferers! I've just created my account because I feel my tinnitus is finally going down...!!! And I feel I owe you this after all great advices I found here.

I've been a sufferer since april 2017, when I did about 10 bad things in just one month... After a very bad untreated cold, I developed some postnasal drips and after that, in just about 5-6 weeks I took Levofloxacin/Ciprofloaxicin/had a too high dental work/ runned on 500USD home-treadmill/ had three flights, one while having a cold/smoked 1-2 packs of IQOS per day, for about a week/had a huge lack of sleep/and also a "vintage" ear cleaning using a seringe.

Finally, after doing MRI/hearing tests/blood circulation tests, all ok, I narrowed it to 2 possible plausible causes: either "something around the rhynitis in my nose" which might cause ETD (that because I had some postnasal drips) either TMJ disorder (that because I have abnormal sounds in my TMJ due to some bad dental crowns).

So I had my tooth checked at two different ortodhontic specialists, both confirmed I have a bad bite (and start developing a TMJ disorder).

I also had more ENT checks and they all confirmed I have a Hypertrofic Chronic Rhyinits, which might be causing post-nasal drips. During this 10 months I did three Nasonex treatments recommended by 3 different ENTs with big egos (!!) None of them actually work. Of course I told them I already tried that, but they all thought I did it wrong... :))) The miracle came with the 4th doctor after doing a 4th useless Nasonex treatment (!!) who agreed to perfom a turbinate reduction. I am saying "agreed" because the marketing&politically-corect way is to have first a lot of useless long term treatments (like Nasonex) and only after that perform surgical interventions.

Well, this one was a very simple operation, took about 3-4 minutes and now after just 5 days I can breath like I never breathed before.... it's just amazing. The postnasal drips seems fewer and fewer and my tinnitus also went very very low. If it will remain like this for the rest of my life, I would already be happy. But I have a feeling it will be even better.

So, my advice is that if you have a post nasal drip or breath really bad, I strongly recommend to try the turbinate reduction intervention. For me it did wonders. Also, the price was very reasonable (around 140EUR). If you have allergic rhyinitis you cand also do it but you also need another treatment.

Sorry for my bad english and for my lack of coherence but I could write a novel around my tinnitus experience.

Best of luck to find your tinnitus cause!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1