My Eardrum Is Bloated/Inflated, Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alk, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Alk

Alk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, in October I noticed that when I move horizontally my jaw the left eardrum pops and clicks, just one, it's not myoclonus or TTTS. It was like the jaw movement involved the eardrum as well, on the right side it was fine. Then I noticed that when I burped internally the eardrum clicked and popped, just one click.

So I went to the ENT who found everything fine, but I'm still struggling.

Now when I move the jaw the click is gone but there is a really bothering very low frequency vibration, as the eardrum is affected by the articulation movement. The click when burping internally is the same.

Also I notice that if I perform the Valsalva maneuer (block the nose and gently blow air) the left eardrum bloats more than the right one and when I relieve the pressure in the retraction the eardrum makes a noise similar to the click I initially heard when all this started when moving the jaw.

Before October I never had all this.

My TMJ is fine and I never had ruptured eardrum or otitis.

My idea is that the eardrum is somehow loose, but I don't know why or what to do.

What do you guys think? Thank you a lot.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The ear drum is held by the walls of your ear canal: it doesn't come loose as there is no play in the junction. There can be perforations or lacerations of course, but that's a different phenomenon.

Perhaps you could go to get a second opinion from another ENT doctor, and also do a hearing test at an audiologist's.

• Agree Agree x 2