My Easily Spiking Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      In our school we watch videos in the classroom almost everyday. Videos are great for learning but not for me. In our school all the teachers put the volume so high that I couldn't imagine watching them without plugging my ears.

Now currently I have a spike in my tinnitus because of these videos. In two lessons we watched videos in total of about 25 minutes. Today (Wednesday) we had to use mobile phones to call each other. I was using my friend's phone and he had turned his speaker to full volume. It hurt my ears so I said that I have to go to the WC, I was there for 2 mins.

Now I am depressed and thinking will my tinnitus go away. And I am thinking that when will I have my next spike. Using earplugs won't help me because the videos are so loud.

I have got a lot great information from Michael Leigh he has told me to listen to white noise and all other useful stuff on treating hyperacusis.

When I am at loud places or my ears are exposed to loud sounds I will use earplugs 24/7 because I am scared that I will make my tinnitus even worse. This is a really bad thing and I want to get rid of that.

We will have the fire alarm test soon in our school maybe even tomorrow. My tinnitus will spike again :( this is so hard.

2. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Sorry to hear that, it's a very difficult situation. No plugs that you've tried help? Can you have the teacher assign you to a seat that is far from the speaker? If that doesn't help, perhaps they'll let you watch the video(s) separate from the class, at a level that won't hurt your ears. You should get your doctor to write a note, explaining that you have a disability, and require special considerations, which the school would have to comply with. Good luck, hope you feel better very soon.

Edit: I see from other posts of yours that your doctor is not very cooperative or understanding. Give him another chance, if he isn't going to provide the necessary help, get a new one.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can't you explain to the teachers that you have a medical problem and ask them to try to minimize the volume they play the video at? I don't think the teachers care about what volume is being used and I am sure they would be happy to play their videos at lower volume.
      Again, you could go to the office of your school, tell them about your problem, find out the day when the test will be performed, and then you could skip school that day. You could have one of your friends call you during the fire alarm, so that you could come to school after it is over and minimize the number of classes you end up not attending.