My ENT Experience

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joshua, Apr 15, 2015.

    1. Joshua

      Joshua Member

      Washington, DC
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      I'm wondering what you all think of this experience I had with an ENT:

      I visited the ENT yesterday, had an audiology exam. The good news - no hearing loss, no ear wax build up, nothing. Except for the T my ears are in great shape. The Dr (who also has T, it turns out, so is not unsympathetic) didn't give me the "nothing you can do" spiel that most of us dread but she also didn't seem to think there was much I could do outside of habituation. She said I could try either Sudafed or steroids for a while, see if it helps. If not, then CBT or TRT or whatever will help me habituate. It may very well also "burn itself out on its on" - I liked her turn of phrase.

      So I'm trying Sudafed, as it could very well be the Eustachian tube - my T started after a week-long virus. ENT said to try it for a week and see how it goes. She didn't think I need a return visit.

      So the question is, should I expect anything more from an ENT? Should I look for a second opinion?
    2. LifesABeach

      LifesABeach Member

      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      It's probably unfair to generalize about whether you "should ... expect anything more from an ENT," but I'll do my best.;)

      From personal experience and after doing reams and reams of reading since starting in with tinnitus in 2006, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that at least a small majority of ENTs (in the States, at least) couldn't/wouldn't take any more of an active role in trying to help you with tinnitus than this doc did.

      Having said that, if the tinnitus is really bothering you then looking for a second opinion might make a lot of sense, especially if you are willing to and want to try some of the medications that some tinnitus sufferers have used successfully. Sounds like your current ENT is unwilling to go that route. Have you tried explaining the situation to your primary care doctor (assuming you have one)? Perhaps he or she can help guide you with a referral.

      Good luck!
      • Helpful Helpful x 1

Share This Page