My First Holiday Since Having Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by caffclifton, Sep 9, 2014.

1. caffclifton
      Supportive

caffclifton Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis (Inner ear infection)
      Hi all,

So I wanted to write about my first holiday since having T. I had this holiday booked before my T started so was very nervous about going... I was nervous because me and a friend where going to Magaluf! If anyone doesn't know much about Magaluf its pretty much party central with lots of clubs and bars. The reason we booked to go to Magaluf was to party and also to see Chase & Status (a Drum and Bass group) who are my absolute favourite group!

So when I first got T I thought OMG what am i going to do about Magaluf... I was so worried and so panicky. As it turned out I had a GREAT time on holiday.

In the lead up to my holiday I had kind of accepted the T and although I'm not habituated I just didn't think about the T as much as got on with my daily life.

The flight was fine, no issue with my ear whatsoever apart from the standard popping that everyone gets. I just drank water and chewed on chewy sweets! Mmmm yummy!

The first night out was absolutely fine, I was drinking and dancing away in bars where there was some loud music. When I got into bed my ears did ring a bit louder than normal but I put my sleep app on and managed to get to sleep. This usually happens to me on a night out but when I wake in the morning my tmis back to its usual pitch. This was the same story on the 3rd night.

On the 2nd night we went to BCM the biggest nightclub in Magaluf to see Chase & Status! I did put my earplugs in for this as it was a live DJ set and BCM had so many speakers in such an enclosed space. I still could hear fine just at a lower lever and I felt like my ears didn't hurt at all. I still drank also.

I was also able to lay by the beach and just relax... It was bliss!

I just wanted to post this to tell everyone you can still have a completely normal life with T, there where points on my holiday when I only heard my T for a couple of hours a day because I just wasn't listening out for it. Sometimes I forget that I've got it until I'm in a silent place.

It does get easier with time so don't stop doing the things you love

<3 Caff x

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      wow...I love your post!!!

You went to clubs!!! I'm not sure if I'm ready to do that again, even with plugs...time will tell!!
      I'm happy that you had a good holiday :)

**hugs**

• Like Like x 1
    3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Goddd that post cheered me up big time!!! Ugh friends want me to go to vegas this year and im terrified. So glad you had an awsome time thoo!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caffclifton
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      OMG Vegas babyyyyyyy! You should defo defo defo go.

Anyone that suffers with T has already come through so much. You deserve to go and have an amazing time

I know it's easy for me to say but it is just a noise and once you feel that you can accept that then your life WILL be back to normal. I'm so lucky and gratefull that it's only taken my a matter of months to happily live with it. Xx

5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah i know i wanna go so badd.. I wanna go to lots if places.. But when your young and wanna travel what do most young people do? Drink dance and go to live shows/clubs-- which i LOVEEE to do. But they all are able to turn T worse. And my issues is not so much the noise of my T cause i cant hear my T like 99.8% of the day usually only in complete silence but getting myself to go back out and put my ears in danger the fear of it worrsening, even with earplugs is just alot to think about!! :-( when i can get myself to play drums again then ill think bout goin a lil crazy but im just content right now.. I dont want T to come back in full force. Maybe if i had a audible noise i could hear all the time then maybe id be like you and just say fuck it, i already got it so im gonna enjoy but im just takin the time to enjoy the peace and quiet while i can.. Alot to risk!!! But i hope im like you one day and carefree! Alcohol makes me carefree.. But thats not such a good thing hehe.

6. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @Grace I have been to Vegas before I had kids... I had such an amazing time!! You need to go there before you have kids LOL I didn't sleep for 4 days, went to clubs, shows, walked around, got drunk... good times...and no T!! Well it was before I got T in 2007.

Vegas is fun!! :)

7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah sounds like a blast.. I just know once im there im gonna get crazy drunk and probably totally forget about T and thats not a good thing. Lol well id get custom plugs before i went so as long as i dont forget to put them in, then i guess theres a good chance id be alright lol.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caffclifton
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Grace you wouldn't forget to put then in hun. It will be like 2nd nature.

I never usually like to tell people tablets have helped me as I'm not a massive believer in them but my doctor gave me a small dose of anti anxiety tablets to 'take the edge off' as I felt so sick with fear i didn't want to even leave my bed let along get out the house. I think these have really helped me 'take the edge off' and be normal again. I was on them once a day. Now I am down to one every three days and I still feel great. Next week I will take 1 a week then the week after I'll be off them yippeee!! (My decision to come off not the doctors)

Also I'm not wearing my white noise generator anymore as I just want to try and cope with it myself and I am which is really good. I have seen such a positive difference in me since just a few months ago when I got T

I think the universe made me get T to appreciate my life again and enjoy being me... Not to ruin my life and when the universe feels it's done it's job hopefully it will take it away again xxx

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Aww your wonderful! Im soo happy for you!! Things will only get better too since you seem to be in a really good state of mind! Man, those benzos just really help me too. When im on them i feel i can conquer the world, and no worries lol. I only take a low dose like twice a week. But for the rest of my life if i come across any difficult life crisis-- being a death, or break up or just panic attacks in general there my life saver and i see no wrong in taking them to give your soul some relaxation.