My first session with audiologist and the TRT concept.

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeruf, Oct 14, 2013.

1. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I had my first session today with an audiologist and ENT that specializes in TRT. It was just a introduction this time, more are coming later. Since you guys have been to great help the last weeks. I will share what I learn in those sessions.

First I had a conversation with an ENT. After that I had a new hearing-test, at the end I had a conversation with an audiologist.

The ENT did not give a good first impression. But I have stopped believing in the existence of ENT's that can provide a good first impression. :ROFL: So, he his forgiven. First of all there was a huge printer inside his office that was between me and him. I had to stretch out to see him clearly. It felt like a blockade. Not a good platform for conversation. The second thing is not necessarily a bad thing, but just a matter of taste. He was very strict and direct. Very fast in answers. Kind of tiring to keep a conversation.

However. Over to the positive. He asked me a million questions. He is the first ENT that actually cared about tinnitus. Not just the normal: "If you want to get rid of the tinnitus I'll have to shoot you" phrase. He actually took interest. That give you a kind of hope. We found out two things that I could do right now. Stop with Coca-Cola because of the caffeine/sugar and stop with tobacco. I will stop completely with Coca-Cola now. That is just a good thing anyways. Tobacco, well, I'm not ready to stop with that.

He also convinced me that I was showing progress. He read about my mental state from the first weeks, and compared it to now. Judging from a form. That helped a lot. He also checked my ears and took out some earwax. He said that I had very good anatomy inside my ears and that everything was looking perfect.

After this I had a new hearing-test. I kind of fucked up my first impression with this lady. When I shaked her hand and presented myself I said her name, not mine. The receptionist told her name earlier, that was why I knew her name. Haha. That was kind of awkward.

The hearing-test was fine. I had very good hearing in both ears. Except my high-pitch loss in the right ear. It starts to go down at 4000 hz, at 7000 hz it goes gradually down to 70db. That is 5db less then last time. They said that since I have not got my hearing back by now. It will probably never be perfect again. But my tinnitus could still go away.

Then I had a conversation with the audiologist about how the ear works and why they think tinnitus happen. Nothing new here, I knew most of what she said to me. I played stupid so she didn't loose face. However. She was very strict about not using earplugs in normal noisy environments. Like shopping-malls and traffic. If you do this you will never get used to normal sounds again. She told me to only use earplugs at loud places like pubs and concerts.

She also told me that tinnitus have two kind of loudness. The first one is the strength of the signal, the second one is how you react to it. You can have a tinnitus as low as a whisper, but if you react with anxiety and fear it can feel like a scream.

Then we talked about masking. I got a pillow with speakers inside it. She said that if you mask your tinnitus. 80% of people will get a improvement in their tinnitus within 1 year to 1.5 year, plus the natural healing and habituation.

That was it. This was just an introduction. I will go back to this place in two days. Then I will have a session with the other audiologist much more detailed. I'm looking forward to try the pillow tonight. I have not decided what sounds I will use. Maybe waves, or maybe forest? I don't know. Lol. The pillow was even free. Thank you Norwegian healthcare! :pompus:

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      cool, sounds like you found the right doctor? i love to walk and when i do i where earplugs cause of the cars and trucks that drive by so is that ok to do or should i not wear them ? i can still hear the birds and stuff it's not really blocking that much sound..

3. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hmmm I would wear ear plugs in loud traffic.

4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows

5. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Well, it sounds like you got some good news regarding your hearing. I think she is 100% spot on, about the way we "react to the noise"

I have found when I talk to my ENT and audiologist, in a manner that shows I have some knowledge of tinnitus and the ear, they will explain more, and go into more detail. My ENT told me, he would like more of his patience to try to do a little T research before coming in, not just come in and say I have ringing in my ears, what is it and what can you do.

I thank the whole TT community for the wealth of information I have gained.

Has the ENT mentioned doing a pressure test on your ears. Here they call it an E-COG

Stick with him, it seems like you found a good ENT....

6. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Was this Ullevål or Bogstadveien ØNH? The thing blocking between me and ENT, there was something like that at Bogstad where I was. I got the pillow as well. Don't always use the sound thing in it though.

The first night when I got it I felt so "crippled" and just started crying had hid it for like a month before I started using it.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Haha. I just joke about that I feel like an octogenarian with this pillow. But hey, what can you do about it? Tell you pride to f**k off..

8. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Was more the feeling of.. "So it has come to this..." Put everything in a tragic perspective I choke up just looking back at that moment now.

But yes, I listen to Steve Jobs Biography audiobook every night now

9. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Hi @meeruf :)

That's awesome! seems like you found a good ENT, she's very spot on especially when she said about T having 2 signals, She's so right on that one, mine seems is barely audible, but once i got my attention to it and fail to distract myself my brain would focus on it like a radar! Which then makes it feel like a roaring tiger :/ I'm so happy for you :) Keep it up and keep us updated k?

10. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      Ditto here Christine. I suggest you keep them on. Because when you're outside, you have no idea what might happen. There might be a loud horn from a truck driver close to you and that one incident could damage your ears. So, better safe than sorry. Keep them on when you go for a walk. ;)

11. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Why don't you listen to masking sounds on a mp3 player instead? Seems more ideal since there's tons of free sounds to choose from online. Some have discharged their headphones for life, but I know you still use it trough earlier posts. That pillow sure seem like a crippled persons item, reminding us all that we have a hopeless condition. But most of all it just seems more practicable to use a headset, or at least external speakers on moderate levels. I've always wondered why they give T patients that weird pillow...

12. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I use my iPhone next to me now. External speakers. Classic iPhone earplugs amplifies my T a lot, dno why. Maybe because it blocks out external sound? So I don't use those.

I have found that the only thing I need to fall asleep easily is being tired, so I've started using my bike again.

When I'm really drunk my tinnitus us louder, but I fall asleep super easy, so it IS possible to just "ignore" it if you have your mind completely in another place.

Btw the pillow is an mp3 player. Minijack that you plug into iPhone. So I would love to have a pillow like this with or without T, that's how I suddenly had no problem using it. I realized it's just an awesome cool thing to have. I listen to music and audiobooks on it (by plugging it into my iPhone)

13. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      As long as its compatible with peripheral equipment like mp3 players and other input devices it seems more useful. Guess it's not optimal if you have a partner sleeping in the same room, then headphones would be the only option. I'm glad I single and can choose freely. Finally something positive :)

14. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I think headphones leak sound at least the same as this pillow, it's designed so that ONLY you hear it (there's just a little speaker in it, that's all)

You can get it too btw if you want, just ask your ENT for one.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving

The pillow have a jack. Just like headphones. You have to plug it into a laptop or mobile. Why do you feel crippled because of a pillow? I'm sure there is worse stuff out there. Maybe you have a issue with your pride? Calm down. Watch some paraolympics.

16. SarahR

SarahR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I bought a pillow speaker too (not an actual special pillow, just a flat speaker to go between my pillows).

It seems like a lifesafer for me, I really wasn't coping with trying to sleep on my back and whenever my ear went near the pillow my T went crazy. The speaker is very quiet, but it's enough to make me 'forget' to concentrate on the T and to listen to the audiobook we have playing quietly on speakers.

17. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I guess it's wireless and runs on standard format batteries? In the beginning I used to listen to masking noises or distraction audio as I like to call it, until I discovered that I had to play it so loud that it wasn't advisable or safe cause I had to crank up the volume to unsafe levels for it to work for masking purposes. I have shared some of those files here on TT earlier on. Anyhow, an audio pillow could serve more purposes than to just mask T I guess.

Attached Files:

18. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      No it's just like a headset. Except it's a pillow. Gets power from whatever you connect it to. iPhone in my case.

19. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Who knew we could have such a conversation about a pillow?

I sleep with either headphones or pillow speakers that slip inside my pillow that draw power from my iPhone. Noise from external speakers would bother beloved husband. I use the headphones when my T is louder, the pillow speakers when its softer, as the sound isn't as direct with the pillow. But I am considering investing in a pillow with internal speakers, like Meeruf described, 'cuz the insertable speakers are kind of hard and uncomfortable.
      Here's the site: http://www.soundpillow.com/

During the day, I carry around a little rechargeable wireless high fidelity speaker so I can have white noise, a guided meditation or anything else wherever I go. I don't want to use headphones 24-7. It has its own little plastic case -- my acupuncture doc and his nurses have admired it and recommended it to other patients.

BTW, @Erlend: I really understood and was very touched when you talked about crying over the pillow and not wanting to use it. It's like you can't believe: this is my life now. My life never will be the same. Which is true. But then again, difficult things happen to all of us that change us forever, but we then must go on. It's part of being human. But there is nothing wrong with taking moments to grieve for our old lives, to cry over a pillow or not being able to sit in the front row at the symphony any more.

20. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Meeruf,
      Sounds like you have found a good ENT. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I think your ENT was wise to advise not wearing earplugs in everyday noises. I know most of us become a little paranoid and want to do everything to protect our hearing but we can over do the protection part.

I use a pillow speaker also. I have one where the speakers are mounted in a foam pad and stay in place better. I listen to nature sounds mostly ocean waves.

There is nothing wrong about using a speaker pillow, masker, or whatever..We must do what we must do.