My hearing is my bread and butter

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KatieMac145, Mar 17, 2014.

1. KatieMac145
      Overworked

KatieMac145 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/1975
      I'm a 9-1-1 dispatcher and I've just found out that the ringing I've had in my ears for my whole life is Tinnitus. It got markedly worse recently which is why I mentioned it at all. I thought everyone had this, "head noise." Anyway, I'm just starting out here and I'm wondering if it can affect your actual hearing as well because I'm having to more and more ask people to repeat themselves. It's not a volume thing as much as a comprehension problem. I'm going to see an E. N. T. so hopefully I'll get some answers soon. Thanks!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, KatieMac, and welcome!

I'm sorry you're having problems with your tinnitus, and that it seems to be affecting your hearing as well. The answer to your question is --yes, it can definitely affect your hearing. Sometimes my tinnitus has been so loud that I have had to strain to hear what others are saying.

I'm glad you're going to see an ENT soon, and hopefully he/she will test your hearing and give you more information. However, if the ENT is not sympathetic or is unable to help you, you might try going to an audiologist in your area. Some of us have had better luck with knowledgeable audiologists than with ENT's.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing. You've come to the right place for lots of information and support!

• Like Like x 2
    3. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      I'm a 9-1-1 dispatcher and I've just found out that the ringing I've had in my ears for my whole life is Tinnitus. It got markedly worse recently which is why I mentioned it at all. I thought everyone had this, "head noise." Anyway, I'm just starting out here and I'm wondering if it can affect your actual hearing as well because I'm having to more and more ask people to repeat themselves. It's not a volume thing as much as a comprehension problem. I'm going to see an E. N. T. so hopefully I'll get some answers soon. Thanks!

Tinnitus can't affect your actual hearing but it might be a sign that there is something wrong in your auditory system so have a hearing test. Hearing loss can happen as part of the aging process or it can happen because of other factors. Almost everybody will loose some hearing function eventually so it shouldn't be a reason to panic and hearing loss can be compensated so I wouldn't be over worried.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KatieMac145
      Overworked

KatieMac145 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/1975

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KatieMac145
      Overworked

KatieMac145 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/1975
      Thank you, I'll definitely keep you posted. I actually pass an audiologist's office enroute to work. Wondered once or twice what they did :)

6. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I've had tinnitus my whole life - or at least for as long as I can remember. Tinnitus in children is definitely underdiagnosed - for at least two reasons: 1) Children may not be aware something is wrong because it is "normal" to them - and 2) even if they do realize something is wrong, they may lack the language to describe what they experience. Possible causes for tinnitus in children is slight damage to hearing which may be due to low birth weight, high fever at some point in childhood, mumps, and some antibiotics. Very low birth weight or a virus acquired during pregnancy will usually lead to more severe hearing loss (which will not go underdiagnosed).

There is (some) evidence that using headsets where sound is (obviously) introduced directly into the ear canal all day long can lead to damage over time (even at low volume levels). This can/is a potential problem for people in call centres where there will often be background noise (leading to employees turning up their headset volume). Additionally, people with slight hearing loss will need to turn up the volume even further to compensate for their loss. If you use headsets daily in your job, I would recommend that a colleague checks your headset volume (to see if they find it too loud).

Tinnitus cannot affect your hearing, but it can affect your ability to hear.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KatieMac145
      Overworked

KatieMac145 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/1975

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KatieMac145
      Overworked

KatieMac145 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/1975
      Very interesting! I had scarlet fever as a child...