My hearing test today

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Asian, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Dear Doctor,
      I went to my audiologist today to get a follow up audiometry test. Please see the attached report. According to her, I have some sensorineural loss either cochlear or nerve or both which came from a concussion 80 days ago. She told me that it can get worse with age and T can cause more hearing loss when we age. So I should consider a hearing aid to protect my hearing regardless of extremely mild sensorineural hearing loss I have now. She told me it can be compared to eye glasses and how it protects our eyes from further damage. I felt she extremely exaggerated the situation and made it seem like a big deal. My neurologist told me to wait out for 6 months and T can still go. Confused. Can a hearing aid be used for sensorineural loss? Can T cause more damage to the hearing with time? Please let me know your thoughts on the situation. Many thanks ( attached pic )

Attached Files:

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      My bet is that 100 days ago your audiogram would have looked just like it does now.

Hearing loss can get worse with age. That's because we lose 0.5% of our haircells for every year of adult life. It's called presbycusis. But that has nothing to do with tinnitus. Tinnitus does not cause more hearing loss as you age.

Absolutely NOT. First of all, you don't need hearing aids. And second, hearing aids do not protect hearing.

Lousy comparison. She's trying to sell you hearing aids that you do not need and that will not benefit you in any way, shape, or form.

You are correct.

Tinnitus can go away completely even years after onset, but it's more common in the first year. I met somebody yesterday whose very loud tinnitus went away after six months. (And, no, she didn't use ginkgo, lipoflavinoids, LLLT, or any of the other things some folks here waste their money on.)

Yes, that's what it's designed for.

No.

You are welcome.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 4