My Journey So Far...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AlaskaTom, Jan 6, 2018.

1. AlaskaTom

AlaskaTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      The day before Halloween this last October my ears suddenly plugged up from a throat infection. As soon as they plugged up the tinnitus I have had all my life but never bothered me instantly got louder.
      Ended up being given Amoxicillin for both the infections in my throat and ears. I took entire prescription like I was told even though my throat got better in two days. My ears stayed plugged and I got a reaction to the Amoxicillin, gave me a rash and anxiety.

My anxiety got so bad I could not sleep for a few weeks, and because of the anxiety it made dealing with my plugged ears very difficult.

I went to three GP’s and an ENT. The ENT said infection was all gone and I just need to wait it out. Gradually over time I believe my ears have opened back up, not fully but better.

Over the last few weeks since I saw the ENT I noticed I was sensitive to certain sounds, and loud sounds. I am hoping this is just part of the healing process of my ears being plugged. The tinnitus is loudest in my left ear and has stayed pretty steady. Evolved into a higher pitch now. Some days it doesn’t bother me, other days it can ring pretty loud.

Went to an audiologist two days ago to get things checked out. Hearing is normal but she thinks I may have a hyperacusis/Misophonia mix going on. Recommended TRT for both.

I’m wondering if maybe my ears are still healing? I’m basically two months from when my ears first plugged up.

Is it normal for healing to take awhile and are the noise sensitivity part of it because my ears are trying to get back to their baseline?

Been getting bouts of nausea lately from time to time, bet have never gotten dizzy or light headed. Bonine helps with that.

The ringing and noise sensitivity is more notable if mt stress and anxiety are up, when I can relax or calm down I can manage the symptoms much better.

My wife says I should stay patient and positive. Which is hard sometimes when the stress and anxiety are their but I believe she is right.

Any input from anyone else would be much appreciated!
      Tom

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, ears can take months or even years to heal. Noise sensitivity (hyperacusis or H) is normal, and it often goes away. Mine went away after about 6-9 months.

Check out the thread below where I summarize everything (24 tips spread over three posts) I learned about managing tinnitus after reading the posts on this forum for the past 11 months
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...itus-recently-this-info-will-be-useful.25741/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AlaskaTom

AlaskaTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks Bill,
      I appreciate the long link!
      I think my mind is slowly being able to wrap itself around this whole thing. I am very happy to of found this forum.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      t found me after an ear infection/treatment with ciprofloxacillin 4 years ago.

quite a journey, but can honestly say that my t isnt my biggest issue anymore.

i am no longer suffering with debilitating t or h. the reason for this is twofold. Habituation and adipose derived stem cells.

the reactive component of my t has improved as has my h. my spikes are less frequent and less intense. my t lives more in the background these days.

Other things that helped me were cbt mindfulness and supportive friends.

you will get through this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1