My Own Voice Is Too Loud and Distorted in Right Ear — What Is This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DRobi, Jan 2, 2021.

1. DRobi

DRobi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Presbycusis
      I suffered sudden onset of tinnitus on Labor Day of 2020, and over the next month I also developed sound sensitivity. My tinnitus has always been louder in my left ear, but over the past 6 weeks or so I have noticed that my right ear seems muffled and my voice seems too loud and somewhat distorted in that ear. I don't have these sensations in my left ear.

What could explain this? Can you have hyperacusis in one ear only? Is this possibly Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome?

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm so sorry that is happening to you. I don't know the answer to your questions, but could relate, because the other day, I said a word, and, for some reason, it reverberated loudly in my left ear in a loud, very vibrate-y sort of way. Hope you get some answers/relief soon! :huganimation:

3. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Have you had your ears cleaned? Are you prone to ear wax?
      Do you have any other autophony, like hearing your breathing etc?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DRobi

DRobi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Presbycusis
      No ear wax. No other distortions really. I have high frequency hearing loss, diagnosed with presbycusis (age-related hearing loss - I'm 66). My issues are pretty severe tinnitus and mild hyperacusis. But the asymmetry of my voice being too loud in one ear but not the other is just weird.

5. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      One ear has more hearing loss maybe. Try hearing aids?

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Absolutely.

7. Marcuso22

Marcuso22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud prolonged exposure to alarm system
      I have same thing but with right ear. When I talk on phone and I raise my voice my right ear tinnitus reacts & spikes, hence reactive tinnitus which is a subcategory of hyperacusis.

8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I do have similar experience with sudden hyperacusis, be it is a mild one, and most sounds becoming brittle or metallic. Mine was due to SSHL and my left ear lost hearing. My ears are also feeling full, pressured and plugged. So some symptoms of mine are like yours. Try to stay positive and calm as much as you can to prevent the limbic system taking over with the fight or flight reaction. If you need it, try masking your tinnitus so you won't be so anxious.

Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    9. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      It could be a variety of things. Oftentimes one visits the doctor and they're as mystified as we are. I had quite a bit of ear fullness a couple of years ago. Doctor looked inside and said everything was fine. He then entered a diagnosis of: ETD (?) - the question mark actually formed part of the official record. He prescribed a steroid nose spray but that only made marginal difference. Also, I don't really want to become dependent on things like topical steroids.

I've a theory that a lot of these symptoms you describe, and which I've had too, are actually inflammatory in nature. I drink a lot of coffee and do like a beer, wine etc etc. Around the period when I was experiencing the severe ear fullness (which I believe can also cause these internal reverberations etc) I decided to try and taper into a kind of anti-inflammatory diet to see if that made any difference. Stuff like this. Over a period of time it did seem to help settle things down for me. Might be worth a try, but as I say, advisable to taper into it and be quite regimented.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss from loud music and noise
      Agree with @billie48! I have experienced the same thing but rarely notice it as much now. Not sure if it goes away or we habituate but it’s important to try not to stress about it as it tends to focus the mind on it.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think so... I had that same problem (own voice sounding too loud) when my hyperacusis was severe. There weren't any discussions with my then girlfriend because I could not really raise my voice to discuss anything haha.

• Like Like x 1
    12. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I have the same issue. My right ear has louder tinnitus but my left ear is what is sensitive to sound and gets the fullness/pain. It's so weird.

13. Samy

Samy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Same thing happening to me now :/

Louder tinnitus in right ear, but a bit of fullness and distortion of my own voice when I speak louder. This ear is also more sensitive to sounds.

14. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      This is hyperacusis @Samy. It comes in many forms...

I don't know your story, but for most people it tends to ease up/get better with time.

• Like Like x 2
    15. Samy

Samy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you for your answer. Mine is due to an acoustic trauma, 8 months in. Left ear has annoying hyperacusis, while the right ear is more sound tolerant but has louder tinnitus. I see some improvement in the tolerance of sounds, but it’s veeery slow progress. Talking on the phone, taking the train, a ride in the car (more than 30 minutes), motorcycle/truck train sounds are horrible for me. The sensitivity is worse than tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      I know how it is @Samy, fully. It is s slow, non-linear process for most. Time is often a healer, but seeing progress on a week-to-week basis for this "condition" is impossible imo. Rather every 3 months to see the progression over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      I felt this one in my soul hahaha.

• Like Like x 1