My Posting Place

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by threefirefour, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Ed209 , @threefirefour ,

On the plus side Ed, between us we’ve managed to infiltrate MPP with some good sound common sense !!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Daniel95
      Tired

Daniel95 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Approximately 01/10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/sinus Infection/headphones/maybe antibiotics
      @Ed209 Don't misunderstand this, I'm just trying to understand a little better. You are very driven to fund research for tinnitus, yet you don't believe a cure is coming. Have you just lost faith because you've witnessed failures, or is it of a different nature? Why are you so adamant about helping out and activizing the tinnitus community? Don't get offended please, I'm not trying to do that. My existence solely lies in the hope for a cure right now. Or at least a far more effective treatment. I want to understand why you think a cure is not possible within our lifetimes?

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      In a nutshell, I believe tinnitus would be hard to crack with the budget cancer reasearch has access to. But, the fact is, tinnitus reasearch has less money than the stationary budget of some companies.

This is what further compels the problem. The lack of engagement from the tinnitus community. Non-sufferers will not help fund the research towards a cure. It has to be driven by people who have this condition. I have habituated and so it no longer bothers me, personally, but it bothers me that there are people who kill themselves because they can no longer cope.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      But what I’m saying is, they were saying they were on the verge of a breakthrough back then, and in fact, we are no closer now then we were 30 years ago.

Where do you see us being in another 30 years with the same level of engagement we have now?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Hopefully as an archived site, where people who are curious how we lived without a treatment can visit.

If you're seeing MPP around 30 years from 2018, hi.

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      We were on the verge back then. And we passed it. We now have residual inhibition. I get what you're trying to say, but it's not a very good point.

7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You misunderstand me. They were saying we were on the verge of a treatment. Something more significant. RI is pretty useless. It doesn’t work for me at all for example, but that’s probably because I have too many noises, maybe?

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yeah mileage may vary I guess. Same with other newer stuff like ACRN and audionotch. The fact is things have been improving. There are more "treatments" now, but it's hard to say what their benefit is. Desynchra is on the market now, and it reduces tinnitus by 25%-33% in 70% of people who try it. That's one treatment. But it still sucks. I used to think there was no progress in tinnitus, but I'm glad I was mostly wrong. We're climbing. Susan Shore has been the subject of debate here. Her clinical results were nothing short of amazing, and in Minnesota, similar results were replicated (albeit for a shorter amount of time on purpose and with a smaller sample size). It's more illogical to assume it will fail than to assume it will succeed.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There has been more tinnitus related research in recent years. We are now at a pivotal point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      ITT we post things that piss us off
      images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQn0_3IPPCnZTygABzX3aWTPJEFZ0L8cpr5I5iufiHtEjl4V_GdBw.jpg
      neurotypical joe has HF hearing loss and tinnitus twice as bad and loud as i do and he doesn't complain and expect a cure. He just moves on in life. His 9-5 job and nagging wife and 3 kids are more important then tinnitus.

fast forward to 2023 when cochlear hair cell regeneration is possible

Neurotypical Joe can't afford the treatment because his wife left him with the kids and took half his money
      his hearing loss is getting worse with age and now he has to get an additional part time job to go along with the 9-5 just to barely make ends meet. Neurotypical joe still doesn't care about the treatment and thinks Jebus is a better alternative.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Ahat

Ahat Member

The last couple pages of this thread are depressing. Can we stop with that BS?

No way you can habituate to something that you always have to worry about making/getting worse. Life is not worth living if you have to spend it walking on eggshells.

Edited to add that the depressing parts are the “there will never be a cure so you should shut up and pretend to be happy” ones.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I think you need to re-read as you have massively misunderstood everything. The main facts are these:

• We ALL want a cure, but only the tiniest, most minuscule percentage of people, donate towards any tinnitus charities or research based work.

• Cures and treatments come from research and research needs funding, and/or at least awareness, to create some form of backing. We have neither and not many do a lot to change the trend.

• No one is saying pretend to be happy. Many people do start to feel better after a certain amount of time and adjustment. This is not pretend, at least in my case and many others’. There is NO current alternative. You have to accept it in order to move on with your life. Whilst you work on this bullet point (ie, turning your life around) you can contribute towards bullet point one and help the cause directly. Putting all your hope, entirely, into a cure will likely keep you suffering in my opinion.

15. Ahat

Ahat Member

I read all of it and would rather not read it again. I didn’t misunderstand anything.

I know myself well enough to know I will never get used to living with this. The only hope I have is a treatment or a cure.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Fully agree. I'm extremely lenient about posting but this is at least Jazzers third time taking a page talking about this. If Ed and Jazzer could keep habituation shilling on a friendlier forum to it, then that would be great.

And sorry about Ed's earlier comments. He's a smart guy I'm sure, but he's not a research guy. He contradicted himself when evidence in favor of a near-treatment was provided. There's a reason all the people who focus on research like edgeofscience and Aaron say <10 years is a very reasonable estimate. It's because they keep up. Ed doesn't.

You don't need to pretend to be happy like some of these people want. I'm sure when we get a treatment you will be happy :)

• Like Like x 3
    17. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Well then I’m lost and I give up! It seems you would all rather post memes then do some real advocacy work. And that’s what I don’t understand and never will. Good luck to you all.

18. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Quite the contrary. I’ve followed a lot of the research for years and know all the main developments. I’m quite dispondant, however, at the lack of real engagement, and have come to the conclusion that it’s a lost cause. So I give up. Trying to motivate the tinnitus community to do something worthwhile is just too exhausting.

You want a cure but don’t want to help in anyway whatsoever. And at the same time have a abnormally negative attitude to anyone who is habituated which makes no sense either.

As you were.

19. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      if treating hearing loss solves tinnitus then any regenerative approach on restoring hair cells, synapses, repairing the audiotory nerve itself should reduce tinnitus.
      https://blog.medel.com/cochlear-implants-tinnitus-cure/
      http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/articles/can-cochlear-implants-decrease-tinnitus.pdf

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Also it will be hilariously awesome and reasonable to believe that future hearing loss researchers are the ones that will solve most cases of tinnitus and the ATA researchers trying to pin point the exact regions in the brain AKA lobotomy tinnitus cure becomes the only option for TMJ tinnitus sufferers because their tinnitus is not relating to hearing loss and neck/jaw misalignment cannot be corrected yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Ed - sorry to go off at a tangent old sport,
      but I just had a ‘shoofty’ at your photo,
      and you look a bit respectable for a jazzer mate.
      What with the suit ‘an all.

Just sayin’.......

• Like Like x 2
    22. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I believe @threefirefour donated to your fund raiser? So that was a big step!

This thread is their way of coping with posting having fun with memes and so on..Threefirefour and friends continue on with your memes here!!!

Can we discuss this in another thread? How about the awareness thread. I will @Ed209 you. I Won't be able to do much until tomorrow afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I once mentioned when I was a kid I searched for old bottles, coins, spoons and whatnot by using a trowel in virgin woods, meadows, beside an old foot path/wagon road, or near streams and small ponds. This was in areas in Massachusetts where maybe the first settlers had a cabin. Many of these areas now have housing tracks.

Now living in California I play an internet billiards game and 5 roll with the sound off as I have some pink music in the background.

I would really like to hear what others do. Some have cats as I do, others have dogs and some take walks in parks.

• Like Like x 3
    24. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. Daniel95
      Tired

Tinnitus Since:
      Approximately 01/10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey, this means you're gaining traction. All attention is good attention when you have a cause. I say let anyone and everyone engage as long as the goal remains.

But maybe get them to make some memes that would be funny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Daniel95
      Tired

Tinnitus Since:
      Approximately 01/10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cat pillow.jpg

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my cat to sleep next to my ear since her purring is very relaxing and a nice masker.

It's not working.

• Like Like x 4
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      There's been a breach from the outside sir. Luckily the breach has been patched.

TNGCaption141a.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Spikes the hell out of mine.

btw the cat in your profile is super cute.

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      “ZAKLY SO ED”

Given that we all suffer with Tinnitus, it is very well possible to reach a position of acceptance of that reality, and to then make an adjustment to it, which means that it is actually less intrusive and ultimately less painful.

This is a fact for Ed, for me, and many others.
      We are often referred to, quite jealously of course, as ‘dinosaurs,’ or ’normies’, by those who are failing to master this technique.

What does make me smile (ever so slightly) is that when the powers that be crank up their propoganda machine, on MPP, decrying all therapies and remedies, their rebellious voice is met with, and moderated by an attitude of benign common sense.

• Funny Funny x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      This comment is hilarious. WE'RE the "powers that be"? How are we the powers that be? We're not some sort of establishment. If anything we're the outsiders and the habituation-dinos are the establishment, because they basically run every aspect of the tinnitus community (sadly). TRT is still encouraged by establishments like ATA... Yet WE'RE the "powers that be" because we're attacking the establishment? You see how that's ridiculous right?

We're not spreading propaganda either. We're attacking an established narrative that's never really been challenged before. You're not "countering us" with "common sense" either. If you haven't kept up with the past few pages, you and Ed got your butts handed to you by a loser who LARPs as Hugh Neutron.

The reason I'm turning up the heat is because it's obvious you and Ed seem to be on some sort of personal crusade to "convert" MPP, which is really annoying. If this weren't true, you would be posting this stuff elsewhere. For the record I'm not asking you two to stop or go away. I'm just saying if you keep doing this, you're gonna lose. So what if people like you and Ed don't have one post on the whole site? Is it really that big of a deal?

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1