My Story of the Neverending Sound...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lyra Belacqua, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Lyra Belacqua
      Creative

Lyra Belacqua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself:

I am 25 years old, a Student (nearly done with University now :) ) and suffer from Tinnitus since December 14. (It already started the months before but it was December where the noise stayed and didnt vanish again.) First it was just my left ear and since a few days it also started in my right ear (but in my left ear it is much much worse). But now since I have it in both ears I really started to freak out. I dont really have anyone to talk to about this, my Family does not want to hear it at all and I only told one friend who didnt understand how FRUSTRATING and TERRIBLE the noise can be. So I stopped talking about it completely. And now I just feel totally alone with it. I feel like I cant take it anymore.

So this is why I came here, to find People to talk to about it and who understand what it is like :)

Is there anyone else who suffers from Tinnitus in both ears and can cheer me up a little?

Thank you for reading,
      Lyra :)

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lyra Belacqua

Welcome to TT. I'm a new member also trying to deal with Tinnitus. I have found these forums really helpful and supportive. Just one ear at the moment for me.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lyra Belacqua
      Creative

Lyra Belacqua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you :) Yes, this is what I thought too and so I decided to finally sign up :) And I hope that maybe the noise in my other ear vanishes again, I had an ear infection a couple of days ago and maybe all it needs is just a litte bit of more time. At least I hope so :) And I learnt to live with the noise in my left ear quite well, after some time I could even read in silence without being toooo bothered about the sound :) Wish you all the best :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Lyra Belacqua ,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      You have found a great support forum and feel happy that you won't be alone any more as we are only a click away and support you round the clock.

Tinnitus is hard to deal with at first and like many of us on here we have it in both ears too !
      Sounds can be the same in each ear or differ and that is weard.

I hope you can sit down over a cuppa and talk to your family about what you hear and feel inside and can come on here together to find understanding about this condition that has invaded your life and struggling to deal with it and im sure they will support you more....
      Chin up duck you will get through this..
      Please let us know who you have seen and any tests you have had if any....
      Lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Dave1
      Depressed

Dave1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lyra Belacqua

Thank you. Reading that you habituated to the noise in your left ear gives me hope. All the best to you too.

6. jennyD
      Blah

jennyD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lyra Belacqua

Welcome! I am a new member as well. I can understand what you are going through even though I haven't had it for as long as you. Until you experience such a thing it's really hard to understand just how terrible T can be for people. I do hope that your friends and family grow more sympathetic to what's going on. But as Dave1 said, these forums are very helpful and very supportive. I'd assume just about everyone here has gone through it at some time and can relate to it.

Like you my T is in both ears creating a "stereo" effect of high pitched sounds. There are times when I'm not sure if it's coming out of both ears or one but always seems to be both and the sound fills my entire head and is audible over all external sounds. I found running water to help mask it the best although nothing masks it entirely. I have a white noise machine that does not mask the pitch at all, it only seems to be running water that helps. The next best thing to the running water in the sink was the "nature sound" albums you can find on youtube/spotify. Not all the running water sounds helped as it all depends on pitch but try enough out and you should find something to help (I hope anyway!)

The success stories on this forum give me hope that one day it will go away. But even if it doesn't, there are so many people here who seem to have learned to manage it and live a normal life with it. Knowing that people have experienced the same exact thing and gotten passed it one way or another is just enough to help me stay positive.

Any idea how yours started?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lyra Belacqua
      Creative

Lyra Belacqua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @glynis

Thank you for your reply, somehow I was just really down on Sunday and your reply really helped me! :) But I am better now, and I feel like I can do this. For me it is differend sounds in both ears, but sometimes the one in my right ear is nearly gone. Thank you, I will try to talk to my family about it and I am sure it will all work out.

And when the Tinnitus started I went to an ENT, they did a hearing test (which was fine :) ) and told me that it was caused by stress (I had a tough time at University back then). At the beginning I regurlarly went to the ENT but all they did was prescribing me Magnesium tablets and so I stopped going there, buying Magnesium tablets myself. One and a half years ago I suddenly felt very dizzy, the Tinnitus was much much worse and I heard everything in a very strange way, somehow dull and muffled. I panicked and went to the ENT the very next morning, the hearing test showed that my hearing of low frequencies was not good, and the ENT said it was overpressure of the innerear caused by too much stress and that he could not tell me whether it would ever go away and that he would rather take care of patients who are not responsible for their illnesses and that this was my fault because I had too much stress. Fortunately it went away, I felt no longer dizzy and my Tinnitus and Hearing was back to normal after a week. But after that I felt very guilty and did not go to an ENT since then again.

All the best,

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lyra Belacqua
      Creative

Lyra Belacqua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Dave1

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lyra Belacqua
      Creative

Lyra Belacqua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @jennyD

thank you :)

And I feel the same, I can hear the Tinnitus over all external sound as well. Thank you for the advice with running water, so far I have listened to vides with ocean sound and it really helped me. And on my phone I have an app with raining noises (relax rain) which can be very helpful too.

Mine was most likely caused by stress :(

Do you know how yours started?

And I believe the same. I have read through the forum in the past few days and the stories of people who seemed to have learnt how to cope with it and just continuing with their life really give me hope as well :)

All the best to you,