My Struggles with Ringing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tobii, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Tobii

Tobii Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; likely medication
      So, I haven't had tinnitus very long. Just this year in fact, but it's been hell.

For some background to begin, I have a psychotic (as in hallucinations, delusions, etc.) form of PTSD as well as generalised anxiety disorder. Originally I was prescribed buspirone 10mg as needed for panic attacks or PTSD episodes. I never noticed any unmanageable side effects. Then earlier this year I got out of a domestically violent marriage, so my psychiatrist upped my dosage a lot (understandably so) to 15mg twice a day. At first, again, no noticeable side effects, but at some point I ended up with very quiet, annoying at worst tinnitus. Something I was going to look into but I didn't get the chance because of the nightmare that happened afterwards.

I was diagnosed with bipolar just a little over a month ago. I was prescribed Lamictal, and it did wonders for my emotional health until the tinnitus side effect ruined my life. It was so loud I couldn't sleep, I got migraines, it was horrendous. For a while it went away but then I changed the time of taking my bipolar meds slightly and that was enough to make it come back full force. I didn't sleep last night because of it.

I'm on a new bipolar medication that doesn't have tinnitus as a known side effect now, but I know it will take time for the tinnitus to fade. I just really need hope this will pass and I'm scared to talk to my psychiatrist about the possibility buspirone started this mess, because I feel like she won't want to switch me to a different PTSD medication. And I can't switch psychiatrists because Medicaid sucks. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

If it's important/may help, here's other medications I take and health issues:
      • Synthroid for hypothyroidism
      • Lexapro (never had any side effects from it)
      • Trileptal (new bipolar medication, though I know its use for bipolar is 'off label')
      • Singulair
      • Prazosin (started at the same time I started Lamictal, not really sure how it affects me)
      • Broken wisdom teeth (hopefully going to be removed sometime in the next few weeks)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      Hello Tobii, how are you doing? Feeling better? Hope you are.
      In your case, the psychotic episode was due to PTSD or Bipolarity?