My Tinnitus Has Gone Crazy After a Cold — Low-Frequency Sound That Turns Off When I Speak

Discussion in 'Support' started by JFred, Feb 3, 2022.

1. JFred

JFred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain
      I had a cold last weekend. On Sunday, after I felt like the cold had ended, in the middle of the day out of nowhere, I got this crazy loud, inconsistent bass-like sound in my ear. Had to check with my roommate to make sure he wasn't playing music.

On Monday it was somewhat lower but I find it impossible to concentrate at work.

When I came home from work it felt much worse again and I had a full-blown panic attack.

The type of tinnitus is really low frequency, only stays consistent when it's completely silent and I don't move. Any sound or movement makes it wobbly. When I speak it turns off and when I stop speaking it very distinctively turns on again after a small delay, driving me crazy.

Called in sick on Tuesday, had severe anxiety and depression all day.

Wednesday it actually was gone in the morning and throughout most of the day, which felt like I was given a new chance at life, but it crept back later in the evening and I felt my heart drop and like I wanted to die. I apologise for sounding dramatic but I've been struggling with severe anxiety and depression prior to this.

This morning it was gone again, but now I have something which seems like the opposite of tinnitus, like now it's actually sound that makes my ear vibrate and give off a bass noise, as opposed to it deactivating it. Is this hyperacusis? Now I can only stand being in a quiet room and sound gives me anxiety as it causes my ear to vibrate.

I'm posting here because I've read this forum like crazy the past days and found some very knowledgeable people from whom I've gotten some pointers in terms of supplements, possible causes etc.

I'm wondering what I should or could do at this point, are there any early interventions I can do to prevent this from going chronic? I'm terrified of it coming back again tonight, and this sound sensitivity I'm having today is not much better. It's freaking me out. :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JFred

JFred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain
      I've been struggling with anxiety and depression for a long time, and was seeing a psychologist talking about medications when a cold and subsequent tinnitus struck me.

It was a horrible, pounding, basslike tinnitus which gave me severe anxiety and made me borderline suicidal.

Luckily it subsided after about 4 days and has been gone for 2 days now - knock on wood. Think it was related to Eustachian tubes, as my ears are very stuffy.

Now I don't know what to do in terms of antidepressants as I hear they can worsen or even cause tinnitus? I don't currently have tinnitus anymore. I wonder which antidepressants are the safest to start with, or whether I'm even at risk seeing as I don't currently have tinnitus and only had it for about 3-4 days?

This experience with severe, pounding, inconsistent tinnitus really shook me to my bone and I don't want it to come back again.

Would appreciate any input or advice.

3. Ace
      Musical

Ace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud jam session on top of years of music performance/mixing
      I sometimes get a very low sub-bass like frequency that ducks away if I make any noise (like for instance, "hm"), and then very clearly raises back up to its previous volume a moment later. To use a music mixing analogy, it's as if the noise I make is triggering a compressor on the low frequency sound that I hear it my head. Since it's such a low frequency, focusing on it makes me think maybe I'm feeling some type of pressure. I wonder if that's perhaps just a trick of the mind, or if you're onto something with your theory about it being related to the Eustachian tubes. That is of course assuming we are describing the same type of symptom here.

Anyway, it comes and goes. I first noticed it when I stayed at a relative's house like five years ago. And every so often, I'll get it a couple nights here and a couple nights there. It was freaky the first couple times, but I'd have to guess it's no big deal. It's pretty infrequent.

Regarding sounds making your ear drums rumble - is that a new sensation for you or is it just more extreme than it had been in the past? For me, sound sensitivity can come and go as well, and has ranged from simple eardrum rumblings to full-on sound distortions. But these things typically subside before too long. Judging by your 2nd post you seem to be doing better with it. Take care partner.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JFred

JFred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain
      @Ace, I really appreciate this response. What you describe sounds very similar to mine, and I'm glad you're not that bothered by it. After posting mine came back again Friday afternoon and stayed all weekend, I couldn't sleep or eat and was really suicidal. What worries me is that it doesn't seem to have a linear improvement, as I'm really hoping the sinusitis is the cause and that it's only temporary. But then I don't understand why it goes completely away then comes back.

It calmed down significantly Monday morning but it still bothers me and gives me anxiety as I can't sleep. Now it's very subtle, the buzzing is so low that I really only notice the thumping breaks in the buzzing. Last night I couldn't sleep without benzos anti-anxiety meds and this morning it seems better again (almost entirely gone with minor thumps here and there). If it was a consistent buzz I could probably just get used to it but it's like an unpredictable spasm.

I've been researching endlessly online and the closest I can find relating to my symptoms is middle ear myoclonus.

The anxiety comes from the fact that I don't know how long this will last or if this is something that'll stay with me for the rest of my life. I read many accounts from people who get this regularly and struggle to lead a normal life.

The biggest issue is being unable to mask it because I can literally feel the vibrations.

Regarding my ear drums rumble/vibrate in response to sound that was literally only on Thursday last week which was the first full day where it was completely gone. On Friday that sensation was gone and haven't had it since.

I really appreciate your response it gives me some comfort that you've had something similar and it isn't a big issue now. Right now I'm very traumatised.

5. Ace
      Musical

Ace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud jam session on top of years of music performance/mixing
      @JFred, please don't give up, and roll with the punches best you can for now, my friend. Though I don't want to conflate our unique circumstances, I do hope you find some reassurance in the fact that so many of us here have struggled (greatly, soul-crushingly even) with unexpected twists and horrific manifestations of our hearing disorders, only to come out on the other side some time later in a return to normalcy and genuine happiness. It may take days, weeks, sometimes months for certain things to subside, but along the way you must find glory in the little things. That will get you through.

6. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      How are you doing?