My Tinnitus Has Returned After Being Gone for a Couple of Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Joe B, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Joe B

Joe B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I first experienced tinnitus about 2-3 years ago, obviously not knowing what the ringing was! Saw my ear, nose, throat Dr. in NYC... Explained it briefly but said how common it was, and not much you can do.

So I went on with life and it went away, but I can't recall how long it lasted. I remember it came and went for a few months.

Well, a couple of years later (2 months ago) it returned. This time it is more frequent and almost all of the time it is almost exactly like the sound of steam coming out of a radiator or maybe air out of a tire! But it is not always present (I don't notice it).

Reviewing this Website and the different choices to listen to or read... the different types, etc. is basically overwhelming, which naturally makes me think, there is no known cure? So many different responses, it's like where does someone even start!! I don't have much to add other than what I am experiencing... If the question is why sounds or looks like a million reasons, and I feel for all those with it.

Getting rid of it is obviously a different story!

Thank you.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If it went away once, it will likely go away this time too. The fact that it's a hiss and not a high-pitch tone and the fact that it is relatively quiet (as you aren't aware of it whenever you are awake) is encouraging and means that your ears are in a better shape than the ears of many here.

There are some possible cures in the pipeline:
      Your best bet is to wait for it to fade on its own.

You will want to make sure that you don't hurt your ears during this period of vulnerability as your body is healing. You will want to ensure that you avoid taking ototoxic drugs, that you don't have microsuction done (if you need to clean wax out of your ears; a manual tool should be used), and that you don't have your dental hygienist doesn't use an ultrasonic scaling tool on you (a manual tool should be used). For more details, see

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe B

Joe B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you for responding. I read a post this morning from you from 2017...I must say it was brilliantly written, documenting so much which is good but justifies the usual doctor's answer..."there is no common sure"!! I can honestly say I am used to it from a few years ago, try and ignore it, and hope it disappears. The one thing I will say, this time it mostly is like a old steam radiator or letting air out of a tire. God Bless and stay safe these days!

4. monkey124

monkey124 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Hi there, I am just jumping on to this thread and hope you don’t mind. Really sorry to hear that your tinnitus has come back - that is bad luck. Like Bill says, fingers crossed it will go again.

@Bill Bauer I have read a lot of your posts with great interest and really value your opinions and views. My tinnitus seems to be more of a white noise now and I have had it for 10 weeks. It hasn’t got any worse and has changed from a bass line sound to this white noise kind of sound. Have read that you have said to several other people this can be a good sign. Why is this? Thanks.

5. monkey124

monkey124 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      I also had microsuction 10 weeks ago but I had the humming in my left ear for ten days before this. Woke up with blocked ears and put olive oil in and from then on ear started humming. This is why ENT believes it is stress induced as I was worried from that day onwards...