My Tinnitus Is Bearable Now, So Some Positivity

Discussion in 'Support' started by Egg, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Hi,

So even though the last week had its ups and downs with a few spikes, I spent a couple of nights in the past month in almost quietness. My tinnitus went from being unbearable at times to moderate to almost inaudible within the last year. It drained me a lot in every way and I'm still trying to adapt to an altered lifestyle -- no concerts, clubs, loud bars etc. -- but I am in a good place with my tinnitus. It is most days a quiet hiss/wind sound and in good days a barely audible breeze.

I remember when I first got it, I had no hope of habituation and didn't even want to habituate, I just wanted it to go away.. But now, I feel like I've accomplished a lot in both my coping mechanisms and in my process of habituation. I am not writing this to brag, but I am writing to spread the message that it is possible to wake up some mornings with tinnitus not being the first thing you think about.

I still have a lot of recovering to do in terms of mental well being (related and non related to tinnitus) but I just hope that the number of posts here like this increase.

Although I don't know if I'll fully experience consecutive quiet days, I think my hiss may even become comforting.

I know how horrible it is to have intrusive tinnitus and I don't mean to undermine anybody's experience. But I hope we all have success stories to share :)

• Winner Winner x 8
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Thanks for sharing the experience. Many folks want the quick fix, but with consistent avoidance of additional noise exposure, the tinnitus has an excellent chance of getting a hack of a lot better. Unfortunately it happens glacially slowly, but it does happen.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow!! Congratulations!

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure and excessive ear irrigation
      Thanks for sharing your positive story Egg! I am in the same boat as you are. My tinnitus has improved by quite a bit but still I won’t call myself having habituated from it.

My loud days are still very loud but the quiet days are much quieter than before now. Is yours the same?

But yeah, we need positive stories like yours to balance out some of the negativity we have here sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I wish you more and more quieter days, @Egg. I also hope that the number of posts like yours increase, they are inspiring to read. So many newbies, if you will, come here looking for even the smallest shred of encouragement that they can find.

6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Can you give us your timeline for severe > moderate > mild?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Yes good to hear success stories. Understandably those that have controlled or coping well with tinnitus disappear and never heard again

I am struggling a bit at the moment so nice to hear some good news ocassionally

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      This is great news! And you seem to be adapting well, hopefully it will only be better from here. Hang in there and don't let the bad thoughts multiply too much.