My Tinnitus Sounds Identical to What Causes It

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrazyMike, Oct 29, 2017.

1. CrazyMike
      Breezy

CrazyMike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Anyone else? Whenever I hear high pitched sounds, there's a chance that it turns into tinnitus.

I had a hearing test back in February and I can still hear the tones shifting.

There's a phone ringing in my ear, same ringtone as the one that caused it.

Various video game sound effects as well.

Played a bunch of high notes on a piano and a copy of that sequence is constantly playing in my ear.

Emergency Broadcast System even.

All in all I have like 16 sounds I've acquired.

Can't seem to find anything else on this. Any ideas?

The strange part is that most of these sounds weren't loud enough to cause hearing loss.

2. AnnieM
      Stressed

AnnieM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PROBABLY long term exposure to the sound of motors/blowers
      I hear multiple sounds and tones (and seem to have acquired a new one recently), but not quite like what you're describing.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @CrazyMike
      Yeah, me. I had the same phenomenon happening to me in the first months after T onset. When i told an ENT about that, he only said "very weird". I am not even sure that he believed me. Maybe he did not even take me seriously. I think i was in my 10th month of tinnitus when i got to say something about this to an ENT.

I noticed that if i knock, or for example i pinch the edge of a glass (the kind of test that one makes to verify whether a glass is made of cristal or regular glass -if it's real cristal, the sounds lasts much longer compared to regular glass, many seconds compared to 1 second, probably because a cristal maintains a vibration much longer), my ears pick the same frequency and the sound never stops, it continues for hours. The same happened if i gave a fillip (flick) to something made of metal: a tinnitus sound started to ring on the same frequency of the sound that the metal made, for hours.

This phenomenon stopped years ago.

I would very much an explanation to this phenomenon.

Like you said, the sounds were not only not loud enough to produce hearing loss, but not even loud, just tiny sounds. That vibration never stopped for me for hours.
      It was easy to realise that only that triggered vibration in my head does not stop, but the real sound, the way that it would be heard by a person with healthy hearing system, stopped only after about a second, give or take.

I would like very much the scientists, or even doctors, to try to find an explanation of this phenomenon: tiny, high frequency sounds to trigger long lasting new sounds of tinnitus.

Other weird phenomenon happend to me after a loud concert of techno music: I remained with a tinnitus that was replaying, in a circle, on and on and on, 9 notes from God knows from what piece of techo that was played, most likely not even the last one.
      This demonstrated that, at least some type of tinnitus, comes from the brain, because the auditory system has no parts that have any kind of memory, so where were those 9 sounds/notes memorised? The auditory cortex cannot do that. Nor the inner ear, or the acoustic nerve.
      But what i was hearing was not the exact replaying of those notes, that fragment sounded differently, T-like sounds, like a "parody" of what i heard in the concert. It was awful, very scary. Back then i did not have T (before the concert) i did not even know about the danger of exposure to loud sounds.
      That night, after i arrived home and in the silence of my apartment i noticed that a fragment of the music still continues to play, from a first note to the ninth one, followed immediately with the first note, and a cycle it was created in my head. And that frgment of music was very loud, like the music in the concert was. That phenomenon lasted for about three days.
      The cycle became less amd less loud, until i could not hear it anymore. In this first night i could not for asleep for many hours, that's how loud it was. I only fell asleep (or became unconscious when the tiredness became to much for me to stay awake (conscious). The next morning, after i woke up, the fragment resumed, only a bit less loud.

I think both phenomenona deserve attention from scientists, cause, trying to find an explanation for them, we could find out what T really is. (Of course, the explanation that there was hearing loss and the brain filled in the gaps, which is the current explanation of T, falls from the start, because that would not explain the repetitive characteristic of what i was hearing)

@Gl0w0ut was talking about the same second phenomenon that i talked about here, only using different words, so there is a second person talking about the same thing, therefore true and worth paying attention to.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/plastic-tinnitus.24328/

4. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      Crazy Mike the sounds do not have to be loud to cause you damage, it's the constant noise over time that effect one's hearing !

• Agree Agree x 1