My Tinnitus Went Away, Then Came Back After a Dentist Appointment — I’m Struggling Emotionally

Discussion in 'Support' started by neo-t, Jul 25, 2019.

1. neo-t
      Angelic

neo-t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fluid + noise exposure
      I beat tinnitus for a week, and then I had my dentist appointment Tuesday (had cavity work done) and then it started up again.

I’ve been crying and crying. I want it to go away again, but I’m not having much hope. It’s 6am and I haven’t slept yet. I’m scared my tinnitus isn’t gonna go away. I can’t live with this the rest of my life. It’s making my suicidal but I know I don’t wanna die I just want it to go away.

Anyone have any support or comfort they could pass onto me? My tinnitus is extremely mild but it’s still scary to me that it could be permanent. I know mild tinnitus could go away, especially if you’re young, but I'm scared it won’t. There’s no cure, I don’t know if there will be one when I’m older. I’m hoping there is so if I still have this I can make it go away.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If your tinnitus is extremely mild and you can keep it that way, then you will be more than alright. Just one of many mild annoyances you will pick up as you age. Many of us would consider us to be cured if we had extremely mild tinnitus.

You'll be alright. Your reaction is normal.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Many things can cause tinnitus including build up of wax as mentioned on your profile. Dental treatment can make the tinnitus worse for some people but fortunately, I have never had a problem at the dentist. Do you regularly listen to music through headphones or attend clubs, concerts where loud music is played? If the answer is yes to either of these questions, this is the likely cause of your tinnitus and not the build up of wax.

If you use headphones my advice is to stop using them immediately don't even use them at low volume. Please click on the links below and read my post.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      neo-t
      Angelic

neo-t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fluid + noise exposure
      Breaking the headphones habit will be hard. But I’ll try my best. I’m currently really emotional so I can’t respond the best haha.

I at first thought it was wax buildup because it went away after awhile whenever I first used Debrox, now I’m doubting it and I just don’t want it to be a permanent, though that’s a likely chance coming from loud noise exposure. I’m 13 and I heard it can go away whenever you’re young, but I doubt mine will... but that’s just the anxiety speaking.

5. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Or it could just be wax, as was the case the first time I had tinnitus 10 years ago. It went away as soon as the wax was removed though.

6. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Listen to Michael when it comes to headphones etc, once you stop using them you don't miss them all that much in my experience. My T was caused by headphones (probably) and the first time it went away after a few months. My mistake was to continue to use them when my T went away. It then came back with a vengeance

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      neo-t
      Angelic

neo-t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fluid + noise exposure
      That’s what I did once it went away, I used them again.
      But it didn’t come back louder, it came back as quiet as can be, I can only hear it when I plug my ears or I’m in a quiet room.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The fact that you use headphones signals to me that it "Headphones" that has caused your tinnitus, possibly made worse by the build up of wax. Please do not try to convince yourself that headphones isn't the cause of your tinnitus. I am 99% sure they are responsible. Headphones are the one of the main causes of tinnitus closely followed by other exposure to loud sounds. Typically, it is clubbing and concerts.

Headphones are the most dangerous devices on the planet for causing tinnitus in my opinion. The majority of people that use them, do not realise the risk of developing tinnitus because they are listening to music at too high a volume. The choice is yours. If you continue to use headphone the tinnitus is likely to get worse even at low volume. You could try not using them for at least 3 months, then return to using at a low volume. However, in most instances the best way to prevent the tinnitus getting worse is not to use headphones. Sorry to have to tell you this but it's best that you know. Tinnitus can be very debilitating when it becomes severe.

I wish you well.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A build up of wax can certainly cause tinnitus. However, I am always suspicious. The moment someone young tells me they use headphones by thinking is that "Headphone" use has caused the tinnitus and in most cause I am right.

Headphones are dangerous because people do not realise they a listening to music at too high a volume and for too long a duration.

Michael

10. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just my 2 cents, but you have caught it early it seems and you can make sure to take all the correct roads from here to avoid future misery. This is very good. Just make sure to do the right things.

So this might sound boring to someone who is 13, but you may have to avoid certain situations in the future to avoid making it worse. I would start with completely ditching headphones for good. I was in your situation once, and if I had known this my life would be much much better than it is now.

I would not go to any clubs, concerts etc without good earplugs. Not even once.

If someone thinks you're weird because you use earplugs in certain situations, just ignore them. That would be mature. Not everyone is built the same, some people get T from headphones, most people don't. Same goes for concerts etc

11. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I'm with you on that. As soon as someone says they have gotten tinnitus from something unusual (for instance, LSD) I always think to myself that they probably have damaged themselves with headphones previously and the actual T shows up in conjunction with something else, making them believe that thing is what caused their T.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      You’ll be fine there are millions of people with this condition who live a normal productive life.

Don’t focus on it, get some proper sleep, distract yourself.
      Have you told your parents? It may be good so they can read up on it and help you stay away from noisy situations.

Please speak to your family and tell them how you feel x

Hugs x

13. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I had to read your post twice, as I thought that the description provided fits Tinnitus, which is much closer to the severe end of the spectrum.

Honestly if you can only hear Tinnitus in a quiet room when you plug your ears, consider yourself very fortunate.
      Most people here would literally kill to have that kind of Tinnitus, as it can get so much worse.

The important thing for you now is to protect your ears, so you don't end up with Tinnitus that could be much more intrusive.
      Consider this one your warning and don't make the same mistake that many people do if their Tinnitus gets better.
      They drop their guard and continue with bad habits as far as noise protection is concerned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @neo-t -- Sorry you're dealing with tinnitus at such a young age, but this experience could very well be an extremely valuable one, if you learn its lessons well. If I may, I'll try to help you connect a few dots for you about what you might learn from this experience... -- You're now realizing how fragile human ears can easily be damaged by modern day activities that often lead to tinnitus. You're intial experience with mild tinnitus has been enough for you to feel extremely scared to the point of being suicidal.

You know you don't want to live with even mild tinnitus, and you have--or should have--a pretty clear idea of how to avoid that scenario. The answer is: 1) Understand your ears have already been compromised, and that you will need to be extra vigilant caring for them going forward--like, the rest of your life; 2) One of the things you need to do is avoid loud noises without protection (concerts, loud music, etc.); and 3) as @Michael Leigh mentioned, forego use of headphones from now on. In other words, avoid the things that cause or exacerbate tinnitus.

It's so easy to take our modern day electronic devices, conveniences and addictions as "normal". They really aren't, and we CAN live without misusing them, that is, using them moderately and judiciously. Your situation is a pretty serious one, but one that you can most likely overcome if you use good judgment. If you can use good judgment at age 13, it will bode well for you for using good judgment for the rest of your life. Thus, as I said, this can be a valuable learning experience.

To finish up on a somewhat lighter note, you may enjoy the following pictures. I think they pretty accurately point out the absurdity of how people these days have let their electronic devices literally control their lives. It doesn't (and shouldn't) be that way. It may be time for you to claim your independence from those devices or habits that have any potential at all to worsen your tinnitus. -- All the Best!

383911-image001.jpg

384053-image002.jpg

384257-image003.jpg

384449-image004.jpg

384612-image005.jpg

384782-image006.jpg

t1-385018-image007.jpg

385796-image010.jpg

390230-image011.jpg

390366-image012.jpg

390545-image013.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      neo-t
      Angelic

neo-t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fluid + noise exposure
      Those photos aren’t exactly my cup o tea, but it gave me a few giggles. Thank you for the support.

• Like Like x 1
    16. CMIH

CMIH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Was your dental procedure on a top tooth or a bottom tooth? Did you experience loud noise and pain in your ears during the procedure?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      neo-t
      Angelic

neo-t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fluid + noise exposure
      Sorry for the late reply, been frequenting here less because of anxiety and I'm calm enough now to return.
      Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was on both teeth? Top and bottom? The only loud noise was the tools they used, and it didn't bother me much other than the slightest discomfort of the numbing they used due to it just feeling weird. I also had like anesthesia as well and that caused me discomfort as well, but that was only cause it was a bit oversized and such, but those were the only discomforts.
      Sorry, got off topic haha, but I didn't really experience any pain nor any increase in my t during the procedure.