My Tinnitus Went to Pulsatile Tinnitus and I'm Getting Scared

Discussion in 'Support' started by SCOTTM, May 13, 2019.

1. SCOTTM

SCOTTM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown went from tinnitus to pulsatile tinnitus on 2-2019
      Hi, my first post here. I thought my tinnitus that started in 2016 was bad enough but now I have pulsatile tinnitus which started in February 2019. I am scared because I am beginning to think it might be vascular related. I don't know what might have triggered it.

Over the last 6 months I experienced by dad dying and mom having a stroke so maybe stress?
      During this period I gained about 25 pounds.

I am going to have contrast CT scan Wednesday.

It is just scary hearing your heartbeat in your left ear every morning.

Also I noticed I have a bad tooth in the back that needs to be pulled. It is on the same side as of the ear that gets the pulsatile tinnitus. Maybe related?

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions as what I can do next?

I live on the NH/MA line if anybody knows of any good doctors that might help.

2. ajc

ajc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Do you still have the normal tinnitus too, or only the pulsatile tinnitus?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SCOTTM

SCOTTM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Both,right now it though the pulsatile tinnitus sounds louder because I can really hear my heart beat.

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      pulsatile-tinnitus-2-lg.jpg
      Many cases of pulsatile tinnitus can be traced to stenosis - most commonly the traverse and sigmoid sinuses as in this picture. It's may or may not have been caused due directly with a bad tooth, but as seen from this picture these arteries past down the side of the face which can tense from hypertension.

In association to some, a tooth if may be pulling of the lateral pterygoid muscle with stretching or cervical hyperextension as both of these mechanism are the primary cause of TMJ that can lead to teeth problems.

There are other arteries in the sides and back of the neck that also have blood flow input association. Hyperextension of neck, face and shoulders muscles from stressful spasms due to hypertension can cause PT, but often it involves the C1 and/or other discs.

It's possible for some to have joint space narrowing, sclerosis, flattening and osteophyte formation at the medium atlantoaxial joint where therapy may help. Some also have a steep mandibular plane and the palatal vault may be deep. Be careful with hyperactive movement and maybe the PT will resolve.

The most common cause of idiopathic intracranial hypertension - head to pillow hum - PT - is poor posture. It called biomechanical intracranial hypertension (Larsen 2018b). The reason for this, is that droopy shoulders may often lead to compression of the artery (SA) (weak and tight scalene may as well). Distal SA obstruction will force blood redirection toward the carotid and vertebral arteries, thus saturating the cerebrovascular system. As a second but perhaps more important problem, is that hinge-neck postures, Atlas and migraine may cause blockage of the internal jugular vein, which is the main venous drainage from the cerebrum. This may occur as the vein is blocked between the styloid process of the cranium and the transverse process of the C1 (Larsen 2018b, Gweon 2011, Dashti 2012, Higgins 2015), and/or wrapped around the transverse process (TP) (Flanagan 2014) as the patient hyperextends their head in posture with being hypertense. Jayaraman et al. showed that extracranial IJV obstruction was coincidentally present in 33% of came into their department for angiography (the latter being negative, and the patients were deemed healthy), indicating that its prevalence is much higher than anticipated. Either way, drainage will be impaired, and the pressure will build up. More so, if the subclavian artery is obstructed as well. Increased inlet yet obstructed outlet is a recipe for intracranial hypertension, and may result in many maladies, some of which being endolymphatic hydrops, vhttps://patient.info/doctor/vertebrobasilar-occlusion-and-vertebral-artery-syndromeertigo, chronic fatigue, migraine, tinnitus, pulsatile tinnitus - hums, drums or heartbeat - maybe like a generator running, (Corbett 1982, Jayaraman 2012).
      Your problem may have been caused by mechanical hypertension.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SCOTTM

SCOTTM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes,my posture became reslly bad these last few years do to new living and working conditions.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SCOTTM

SCOTTM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My biggest concern is I hope it is no bad blood flow problem which could lead to something more serious?
      Should I see a special doctor for blood flow problems?

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      @SCOTTM grew up in your area and had the same experiences that you had with family and physical. Let's see what your tests show. Other tests like complete cervical ultrasounds may be needed that would involve thyroid testing. There are treatments for almost everything can could relate to what has taken place.

In the meantime be gentle with your neck. If you get dental work done, make sure that your head rest firmly on the head rest and don't lift your head off the headrest while pressure is being placed to the jaw and mouth. Also ask the dentist for short brakes to be able to relax your jaw by closing mouth. You may also want to give your jaw some support in the dental chair by using your hand. All of this will control artery blood flow and this is very much needed so to not develop PT or make it worse.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SCOTTM

SCOTTM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the tips.
      I will let you all know the results of the CT scan I have this week.

• Like Like x 1