My Turn and My Story

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Johnnysback, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Johnnysback

Johnnysback Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey everyone. Ive been perusing around these forums for awhile now and figured its time to join and introduce myself.

I guess ive always had some minor tinnitus ever since i can remember. I started playing music in my teens and played throughout middle school, high school and beyond. I remember long jam sessions and high volumes and feedback late into the night. Loud amps and drums were synonymous with heavy music back in the 80s just as they are today. Hell we were kids....the louder the better. I do recall going home after practice and having the ringing put me to sleep at night...but it never bothered me and it always seemed to subside.

After high school and throughout my twenties and thirties i continued to play music both live and in recording settings all with variable times of protection to using nothing at all. Earplugs always muffled the sound and just didnt sound "as good". One particular gig i recall walking by the PA system as a loud thud scared the hell out of me. Unfortunately i was affected in my left ear and noticed some hearing loss and ringing from then on that never subsided. I was pissed for a long time after the incident but i eventually got over it.

Present day i started playing and recording again this past year after a long burn out/ hiatus with the music business. Up to this point i knew had minor hearing issues but nothing that was affecting my quality of life. I definitely had habituated to what damage i had incurrred. Lately after sessions in the studio and one night in particular with the headphones on....i noticed something different. The ringing was louder in both of my ears....noticeably louder. This past year i was having occasional problems and having people repeat themselves but nothing that raised any flags. This last session though i think i did some real damage unknowingly. I didnt think i had it too loud but that was 4 months ago and it feels like i have a refrigerator parked in my head. Noticebly louder in left ear but it feels like i just fried my high end frequencies.

I started to freak out a little at first and became depressed and sleep deprived. Tried lipoflavinoids, and i currently take valsartan and propanolol for high blood pressure. I checked both meds and they shouldnt be causing t.

Here i am.....when the room is quiet i focus on it and it becomes the loudest and hard to avoid. Sleeping is better but i occasionally wake up mid sleep with t beside me. Ive had a panic disorder for about 3 years after my mom passed but i stay away from my alprazolam unless i absolutely need it. I do take theanine with relora occasionally and it helps me sleep and rest for the next day( i highly recommend it for anyone has anxiety issues and hates benzos). The t is there in the morning most noticeably...and depending on the vol....thats how my day will roll. I do have moments of peace....the shower....in the car with radio on...out by pool if waterfall is going....but the t gets to me alot more than any other time in my life...have i had take my own life thoughts? No...and im grateful that im able to not go there...but it is affecting my everyday as its hard to avoid. Working in quiet rooms...tallking to clients....watching tv...taking naps...all are distracted by the t now.

So....i have an appointment with pcp in jan and i think it might be time to see an ent? Or should i? I would be lying if i said i wasnt worried about what hes/shes going to say...ive read plenty of these posts of sufferers seeking help and getting the "there's nothing we can do "speech"....is there any hope in hearing aids? I almost have a bigger problem with the hearing loss than the t. I would be willing to try them and moneys not a problem if i knew it would help. Sorry for the long post.

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      For your type of hearing issues - clearly noise is the only factor I would consider those 3 treatments

- a course of steroids (prednisone) ASAP
      - LLLT (low level light therapy) ASAP
      - protecting you ears from loud sounds (wear ear muffs in noisy places, commute, avoid loud music and earphone/earbuds)

Both can help with hearing loss which in turn help lowering the intensity of the T over time
      That's what I do and so far my hearing loss is getting better over the months and t is a bit less intrusive

3. WildMan

WildMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Beginning of 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Stop wearing head-phones if you have suffered from acoustic trauma. I learned the hard way as well, even if set at a low volume headphones can still do more damage.

4. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the site.

You should definitely make an appointment with the ENT to get your ears and hearing checked. That way you will know where you stand. Good luck!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johnnysback

Johnnysback Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thx for the input.....i have worn headphones a few times since but at low volumes and it didnt seem to worsen what i have already. It actually gave me a break from my t for a little. Its put a stop to my recording since ive noticed a problem...