Neck and Jaw Connection to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by uncle vikin, Feb 1, 2015.

1. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      I have read so many post on here about pain, stiffness, cracking ect. in the neck and jaw area.It seems there is a big connection to tinnitus.I have also heard people myself included state they can change the pitch or loudness ect when they tighten their jaw and or neck or open their jaw wider or bite down clench their teeth ect.It seems this would be a nerve in this area mabe cervical .Tmj if this is the case then what does losing hearing have to do with this kind of tinnitus if it is in the neck or jaw.If anyone would like to expand on this topic mabe we all can share our experience with neck and jaw issues and find a common ground on this topic.There has to be a direct connection to nerves in the neck or jaw mabe via cervical.Why can't the doctors explore this area for treatment .
      It seems a CAT scan and surgery would be a possible cure. Thanks Mike K

2. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      When I asked my spine pain management dr about the t and my cervical spine he said "there is no neural pathway from the c spine to the ear. He said it is a cranial nerve.
      I am feeling like the tmj is bothering one if the cranial nerves and possible for me, the trigeminal nerve since my hum gets terrible when I touch my eye, cheek, face or ear. And it's also very painful to the touch. The ear aches like crazy, although there is no infection or fluid.
      So there must be a connection and it could also be that the cervical spine when diseased, compresses nerves that make the muscles around it very tight and guarded so that tightness travels upward to the jaw and hence the noise?
      I don't know why this has to do with hearing loss. Layperson here.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      But there isa connection to the somatic pathway inwhich is the culprit of hyper activity of T .So there is a connection. This is my reason for this post and it only has got one reply so far .Ask your dr about the somatic upper torso connection to the cranial nerve such as touch ect.then ask him about the work of DR susan shore just because he is a dr does not mean he knows about tinnitus research.Tinnitus has alot to do with Jaw, face, eyes believe it or not in years to come you will see this to be true.Dr shore is right on the path to many disorders not only tinnitus but many more life threatning disorders also because they are all dealing with the same disorder brain hyper sensitivity caused by? just a guess MSG ,cell phone wave, computer waves ect.who knows but something is making these disorders increase.MSG is a neuro stimulate that is pumped into our food s by the tons each year .Got T don't eat salt caffiene.ect. all neuro stimulants.And don't eat MSG.
      Deep brain stimulation treatment in the right places for many disorders of the brain cures,uh cell phone exposure stimulation over time?computer wave stimulation over time in the wrong places of the brain.Who the heck knows when ENT and other drs look at T sufferers like we are crazy and they are suppose to be the really educated ones.We as human beings better start using our 6th sense like the animals do and we better start having the balls to do something about it because there are companies in this world that don't give a rat about us. All they care about is the almighty dollar and how much they can live it up right now .They don't care about the future but they don't know the future is starting to happen faster than they thought.These people are truly insane mabe thats why they want to make everyone else crazy too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I agree with you because for me I have long standing cervical spine and jaw problems. I believe those are 100% contributors. My spine pain dr DID tell my symptoms were cranial nerve related.

In my case my spine is degenerating with stenosis , ddd, spondylosis etc. so for me there isnt a surgical fix.

Mine is managing the pain and noise through leading a healthy and somewhat balanced Lifestyle and coming here for ideas and support.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Singularitarian
      Insomnious

Singularitarian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      I received two lower dental implants and now I have intermittent tinnitus in my right ear. It's worse in the morning and nighttime. If I clench my lower jaw, I can block out the tinnitus and replace it with the high-pitched tinnitus I had every few days my entire life prior to this full-blown tinnitus.

6. Uri38

Uri38 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I think there is a relationship, I woke up one day with neck stiffness and buzzing/hissing ears. Turns out I had pulled a neck muscle. Went to 2 ENT and told them about my neck issue and how the T started, they didn't seem interested and one said it was unlikely it was related.
      I started going to physical therapy and after 2 weeks the T is down about ~50% much better than at the beginning, I will continue to go to PT for a few more weeks.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      When I open my jaw very wide my high pitch T is gone. Everymorning I stretch my neck from my left ear to left shoulder and right ear to right shoulder a couple of time and the high pitch becomes much lower. Regular T remains the same. At the end of the day it is all back and I do it again. I know it has to do with my jaw and neck but this is the only thing I can do to reduce it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. LauraN

LauraN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2005
      I have four types of tinnitus sounds in my ears: pulsing static, continuous static, high pitched pulsing ringing and high pitched continuous ringing. As a child I remember clenching my teeth together caused the static noise. I thought it was my metal fillings generatin radio waves.

In the last 10 or so years, the noise gradually grew worse and happened without clenching my teeth together. The noise is now almost deafening. At times it can almost drown out sounds around me and as a result, I cannot hear as well as I used too.

I can make the staticky constant noise much louder almost drowning out the other tinnitus sounds by clenching my teeth, opening my mouth wide, dropping my lower jaw bone, pressing firmly anywhere on my lower jaw bone, opening my mouth and pressing on my lower teeth, pressing upward on my upper teeth, etc. I can make the noise a little worse than normal by pressing on my cheek bones or anywhere else on my skull. It also intensifies when I turn my neck with the sound worsening on the side I turn my head towards. What is this and how can I fix it? I saw an ENT and had an MRI taken but the results were not conclusive.

When I went to a concert this year, we had third row seats. Speakers were right in front of us. I could not hear the band as the reverberation in my ears was so loud and almost painful. This was the first concert where I had this problem. I tried plugging my ears but it did not help. After that, my tinnitus symptoms have worsened greatly. Help please!

9. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      In my case neck problems make my T way worse. It helped me before when my neck was very stiff to get help with it.

I am waiting for physical therapy for my neck because it's in a bad shape again. Also posture like head protruding forward etc can make T worse.

• Like Like x 1