Neck Chiropractic Adjustments Okay?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PrincessZelda, Sep 25, 2018.

?

Did neck adjustments by a chiropractor worsen your tinnitus?

1. Yes, neck adjustments made my tinnitus worse.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. No, the neck adjustments made my tinnitus better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I refuse to have a neck adjustment done.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. No, I'm afraid it will make my tinnitus worse.

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  5. No, I have had neck adjustments that made no difference in my tinnitus.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. PrincessZelda
      Anime

PrincessZelda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 weeks on BuSpar
      Hi everyone,

I need some guidance on whether a neck adjustment by a chiropractor could make tinnitus worse. I have read somewhere online that it can make it better.

My chiropractor has told me the same thing, but I have yet to have any since developing tinnitus 2 months ago.

Before I had tinnitus, the last neck adjustment I had the cracking motion and sound went from up my neck and into both ear canals, and "shook them."

I have a lot of neck pain so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

Thank you,

Zelda

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @PrincessZelda I would be one that wouldn't feel comfortable advising someone either way on a neck adjustment. I spent one and half hours with pre examination with a chiropractic neck adjustment doctor and decided that it was not for me. I also did many hours of article research. Most of the online information per neck adjustment is controlled content from those that perform this procedure. There's other articles from other medical doctors that discuss patient outcomes from neck adjustments and that is worth reading.

I have gone the route of gentle and safe posture training, occipital nerve, deep vertical fiber, facet joints, sternocleidomastoid muscles, trapezius muscle, suboccipital and digastric muscle therapy. Facet joints tenderness and occipital nerve input is almost always present with physical neck tinnitus as stated in the chiropractic 'Back in the Game' series.

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      A chiropractor put me on the path to being addicted to ototoxic drugs.

4. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @JohnAdams Hi John, we haven't talked in the last couple of weeks. I hope that you are doing OK. I just do easy safe home treatments and they are very effective, but it only takes a little posture error to unbalance my spine/neck/jaw again. Then I'm old and had total whiplash.

5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      oh I don't think all chiropractors are bad. the one I went to definitely was. im just say'in.

6. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @JohnAdams I understand. I don't think that all chiropractor are bad either as we discuss on the somatic physical tinnitus threads.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      Don't go to a chiropractor, that is one step above pseudoscience.

Check out this thread on reddit. A guy had neck problems as well and they figured his tight neck muscles were compressing his nerve pathways near his ear so he went to a physiotherapist who are actually trained in science-based medicine and have degrees from reputable universities (unlike a chiro who go to independent chiro colleges because no university touches that crap). Anyways the physio therapist gave him neck stretches and exercises which he did, while the massage therapist loosened up his muscles. Lo and behold he was cured of tinnitus in weeks. A lot of physiotherapists will have massage therapists that work at the same place, so find a good place near you, and the physio therapist and massage therapist will work together to fix you. Even if they don't get rid of the tinnitus, they should at least be able to help you neck pain.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @EarHair Totally agree. Just too many 'just live with it'. His problem is so common and often all it takes is neck stretches and exercises. I think that I said stretches 25 times in the last two months.

9. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Do we have a physiotherapist or osteopath on this site? It would be cool if we could make a little guide with excercises for posture ecc. to do. Maybe it would be a help for some...

• Like Like x 1
    10. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Hey, google upper cervical chiropractors for tinnitus. These chiropractors do small precise adjustments to your neck. I go to my first one this Monday and will keep everyone posted.

• Like Like x 2