Neck Traction Works for Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mattv, May 25, 2018.

1. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Because my somatic tinnitus is modulated greatly by pressing up and forward on my jaw, I figured that one of those inflatable neck traction device might help.

For me, it makes a remarkable difference. When I put it on and inflate it just a little, it's enough to almost completely eliminates the loud tinnitus. If I deflate it, the tinnitus comes back immediately. It's like an on/off switch. My tinnitus was bad all day, and I put it on a few minutes ago and presto, almost no tinnitus. Of course I can't wear this all the time, but it's a godsend to have relief. I have been doing it for weeks and its very repeatable.

Perhaps others might benefit from this too (I hope).

• Like Like x 6
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Matty,

Congratulations on your improvements, and the relief you're able to experience. Could you give a little more information on the device you use, possibly even a link? -- Thanks!​

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @EarHair - stumbled is right! I just followed my instincts on this. As with all things, the long term will tell if this has any permanent benefit.

6. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      @Mattv - I just bought one. I'll certainly report back after I've used for a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @housemzk - hope it works for you. I would suspect it would only work for those who can change their T with neck/jaw pressure, but maybe that's a lot of people. I have mine on now...

8. 1000Hz

1000Hz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      can't remeber, stronger since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud sound/postural problems
      Hi @Mattv and @housemzk, would you mind updating me on the effect of the neck traction over a longer time? I can instantly make louder high-pitched ringing by projecting my chin forward or putting some pressure the top of my head on a mat when I am on the floor. Thanks!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @1000Hz:

Sounds like we have (very) similar ways to affect our volume. The traction definitely helps me, but it is only short lived. Relaxing my neck and shoulder muscles in general helps more. I get regular neck massage and that does have lasting benefit, but my tinnitus is still very loud overall, especially in the morning. I really am starting to think my condition is more lifestyle/stress related. I run a company and am under constant stress. My tinnitus came on during a period of high stress. When I am able to get away for a longer period, my tinnitus can drop to a very low level if I focus on not focusing on it and just relax and enjoy my life. The less I think about it and obsess over it, the happier I am.

• Like Like x 2
    10. 1000Hz

1000Hz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      can't remeber, stronger since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud sound/postural problems
      Thanks for your answer, @Mattv!
      Yes, mine showed up more or less around a time of stress and also sometime after I broke a leg, so it is difficult for me to pinpoint a reason. Back then I was also working for many weeks with long, constant frequency sounds that I am afraid could be a reason as well, and since sometimes I experience loud cracks in the jaw, that could also be TMJ related. All in all it could be almost any reason...

I am also trying osteopathy treatment and doing some stretching, sometimes it feels like the tinnitus is a bit better and sometimes I am not sure.

Anyway, did you try these hammock-style or these curvy plastic neck extenders as well? I wonder if one of these could be more comfortable than the inflatable ones, which just by looking make me feel like I am being choked.

11. Hgordi

Hgordi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Why I’m here is not because I have tinnitus but rather that using neck traction was the first time I experienced “loud tinnitus”. That first few times really scared me. Even now it’s no fun. It’s nearly paralyzing. The thing is I’m am using a neck traction device lying down so at least I’m on the ground. I feel like if I were standing I would certainly fall.

I’m still getting used to that feeling.

12. donotringatme

donotringatme Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD, TMD, CI
      Don’t use it. Not only it’s useless but it’s dangerous too.

13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      And did it it have any permanent benefit?