Need a Little Advice from the Pool of Knowledge

Discussion in 'Support' started by John CC, Aug 6, 2018.

1. John CC
      Pensive

John CC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phone ring tone directly in my ear/hearing loss 15% l, 25% r
      Hey everyone.

Having been on TTalk for a number of weeks now I have learned everyone on this site really has a lot of good, helpful and supportive knowledge, which I will always be grateful for. I have asked before, and so once again I ask your advice.

I have had tinnitus for just about 3 weeks now, though it seems much longer. I have it in both ears, with a different pitch for each ear.

Fortunately, so I believe, my tinnitus has become intermittent where I won't experience any sound that I can hear in one ear or the other, as well as it will increase and decrease in volume. It used to always start at 9 p.m. or so and go until the morning at different volumes. Now one or the other ear may be quiet until 12 or 1 in the morning (though when I wake up it is there, though generally not as loud).

I take this as good signs that I may be healing. I have even experienced moments where I can hear nothing in both ears for periods of time.

I live alone and I am on holidays so I only go out for food or health related issues (when I do go out I wear ear plugs and I have ordered ear plugs which are moulded to my ear to blockt out up to 25db of sound, hopefully I get them next Tues.) to protect my ears as much as possible. I watch tv at low volume and listen to the tinnitus sound therapy websites (they seem to help).

I am a teacher and in a month I will be back to work. I have enough sick bank where I can take off the first month or so.

As my tinnitus is new and this seems to be a crucial time, should I seriously start to think of this as a good option to allow my ears to heal further?

Should I be going for 3 months of quiet, or am I past the initial important time for healing? It has become quite clear that there is a lot of individuality in the tinnitus world, but any thoughts on this I would appreciate.

I know it is early, and I have yet to see an ENT (doctors office said that would refer me and then forgot to select an ENT and then the doctor went on holiday's, such is life).

When does one know when it is time to go out? I love driving, reading outside and going to the gym, all of which I have avoided as my ears don't take well to it (though they seem to be getting better). I feel that staying inside protecting my ears has been helpful and I fully expect to spend another week or two in.

So I am just thinking ahead. Even though I am improving, and am grateful for it, it is still not easy, as I write this both ears for whatever reason are loud and sound angry.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

In advance, thanks, John CC

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think that you will continue to heal. If I were you, I would try to maximize the amount of time when my ears get some rest. Could you transfer to the school's library?
      I had been careful for a year. Now I am in the process of slowly and gradually relaxing the constraints I placed on myself.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi... Welcome ...
      So far, you have handled your T well.
      In order to heal your tinnitus, trying to stay away from loud environment.
      Keep your ear plugs handy and wear them in case any sudden noise occurs
      (eg. alarm, ambulance siren).

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John CC
      Pensive

John CC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phone ring tone directly in my ear/hearing loss 15% l, 25% r
      Thanks for the advice. This is not a fun road, and while I know, and feel, comparatively lucky in that I am healing while others are not so much, hearing from other people in the T world does make a difference. Thank you for taking the time, it is appreciated.
      John CC

• Like Like x 3