Need Advice with Regards as to What Appears to Be Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert Tonkiss, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Robert Tonkiss
      Curious

Robert Tonkiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?general anasthetic for open heart surgery
      Hi, I had open heart surgery 8 weeks ago to replace my aortic valve with an artificial mechanical valve.

I was told I would be certainly be able to hear a faint ticking from the mechanical valve but ever since I have suffered with what I gather is probably some form of PT.

It takes the form of a pulsing hissing/whistling noise that seems to be in sync with my heartbeat and has progressively got louder though does have quieter periods.

After seeing my surgeon in post surgery clinic today I felt I was being fobbed off as he said it’s probably due to the fact that prior to the surgery my heart was pumping the blood at high pressure to get the blood through the stenosed aortic valve and as a result my heart muscle had built up.

He said over time the heart will correct the over pressure it is producing but this may take months or even a couple of years to totally resolve.

I was wondering if there is anyone else that has has similar surgery and if in their experience he is correct, or if I should be looking for other help to help alleviate the symptoms.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Joel Waterman

Joel Waterman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones/speakers and/or water damage
      Im sorry you're having to deal with this. Since yours is so recent, there's definitely a chance it will go away. There's currently no cure for tinnitus, although various things like magnesium, zinc, ginko, ginger, and vinager help reduce it for some people. For some, it doesn't really ever reduce or go away, so habitation is a good way to adapt.

This article seemed like it might relate to what's happening with you https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722454/

Best of wishes, and I definately hope it's just temperary like the Doctor thinks it will be! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi,@Robert Tonkiss

I hope that all is well with you, as you recover from this surgery. There are many possible causes for pulsatile tinnitus, and since you had surgery to replace your aortic valve, I can certainly see how it might have affected your vascular system. As your doctor says, it is possible that this condition will settle down as your body adjusts to the new mechanical aortic valve.

I'd give it some time, to see if the condition settles down. If it hasn't settled down after a couple of months, then you could check with another doctor, such as a neurologist.

A question: Did you have any sort of tinnitus (regular ringing in the ears) or hearing loss before the surgery? If so, it's possible that your ears were already sensitive, and the surgery and/or vascular changes might have set off the pulsating.

Take care, and please do keep us updated on how you are doing.

Best wishes,
      Karen