Need Some Positive Support Please!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karen Parsons, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Karen Parsons

Karen Parsons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I am a new person on this forum & it has been amazing to read all the positive posts from people who are living with T & still able to enjoy their lives. Unfortunately I am not doing so well at the mo! My T started very suddenly in Aug 2013 & I (as with many others) found it extremely difficult in the beginning. This time last year I was in a much better place & was living with my at much better & had many days when I hardly noticed it. Then in April the menopause kicked in with a vengeance & almost over night my anxiety returned & has been there ever since! In Oct last year I thought I would try HRT but had a really bad reaction & it really made me feel very poorly for a while, in fact I'm still not feeling 100%. The worst thing is though is that my T has shifted completely (I think this is due to all the anxiety I have been feeling) & I have new noises in both ears & I am in a complete panic about what to do, I feel I am back at square one but with the added stress of my hormones being all over the place - not sure how much longer I can cope!!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Karen,
      Welcome to the forums.
      Anxiety can spike tinnitus and anxiety with the menopause .
      I would see your doctor for help with anxiety and talking therapy to help so don't suffer in silence .
      For the sound itself you can download sounds to help mask tinnitus like a app called Relax And Sleep.

Sound therapy at night will help you and keep it below your tinnitus sound.
      Your brain will work hard to listen to the lower sound you have chosen and pushes your tinnitus to the background and that helps in the day too.

Im 50 and at the menopause stage so know how it can make you feel.
      keep posting for support...lots of love glynis

3. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      You have my deepest sympathy. I'd be lying if I said I was in a good position to offer support, as 18 months since onset, my tinnitus is in fact 2, distinctly different types of tinnitus, with one being central, whilst the second is in the ear. the central one gets louder, then quieter, then disappears for a bit, then back, whilst the ear one changes in amplitude and cannot decide if it is continual or chirping. As I type this, I have just, this second heard a slight change and a drop in volume of the central one, even though I am totally aware of it and thinking about it. Any second now though and it could pick up again.

I too have issues with hormones - in my case, thyroid hormones - and depression, anxiety etc. are all symptoms of thyroid problems and also my emotional response to tinnitus!

Sadly, I have no idea what causes my tinnitus flare ups, they do not seem to relate to how tired I am, how stressed I am, what I've eaten, my emotional state, or anything I can quantify.

All I can offer is to try and think back to those moments when it has settled down and you have coped well. It's what I do. Last night I had a terrible night of virtually no sleep, but I just think to myself that only a couple of days earlier, I managed to sleep through without issue. I also remember that only a few weeks ago, it settled for a couple of weeks and I had a fortnight of good quality, rested sleep.

Oh and there it goes getting louder again :confused:

Oddly, it has just made me think of the following Harry Potter quote:
      "Ah! Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans! I was most unfortunate in my youth to come across a vomit-flavoured one. And since then, I'm afraid I've lost my liking for them. But I think I could be safe with a nice toffee... Hum! Alas! Earwax."

4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      In your case positive support is easy -> you have habituated once, so you can do it again.

5. flaglerfox

flaglerfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I can't remember when it started
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      Hi Karen. I am 57 and post menopausal by now. I have had T for a long long time. I really cannot remember when it first started, but, it has been years. I have also suffered from anxiety for over 20 years. I never really thought the two were connected until coming to this forum. I do take Celexa and Xanax for anxiety. I can't really say if it helps with the T because I won't go off them to see if the T gets worse. But, it is pretty darn bad now. I do try to stay busy and try not to spend too much time in silence. Music, TV etc. When I lay down at night I have my TV on and a fan on. I don't have to have it blowing on me, point it away, but, have the noise. I take .25mg of Xanax at night. I sleep fine. But, I am finding that I am dizzy and forgetful and can't concentrate. Lately, I have noticed a "sensation" in my head. Around my temples and cheeks, it is hard to describe, but, I can feel the T now instead of just hearing it. BUT, I have heard it said that you have to "make friends" with T. Don't be afraid of it. It will not kill us. I have had an MRI and they found nothing. I went to an ENT, and he completely dismissed my suffering. He said it is normal. that lots of people have it, that there is no cure, and nothing advertised will work. Hmmmm. Thanks a lot buddy. He did a hearing test and I have hearing loss in my left ear, though the T seems to be in both ears. I am going to go to another ENT and try to get some other ear tests done. But, until then, I go day by day.

6. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      Did you get another ent opinion? s many have said alot dont come from those visits unless you have ear wax or getting a hearing aid,,,,,many have tinnitus and they have no ear wax and hearing is ok,,,,go figure,,,,,that sensation your talking about, I wonder if you teeth clench at night, if you sleep alone you might not even notice it, are your jaw muscles ever sore, just an idea,,,it could also be the meds though