Need Someone to Talk to

Discussion in 'Support' started by dudeguywithstuff, Jun 24, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. dudeguywithstuff

dudeguywithstuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety
      My tinnitus isn't the usual run of the mill steady tone. It's erratic and clicks rather loudly, not to mention it reacts to tons of stuff.

This means I can't mask it, and I hear it all day long. It's impossible to ignore. If I run a fan or my air conditioner, I just hear even more click click click with it.

Even before I got tinnitus, I was seriously depressed. This just seems like the icing on the cake.

If this really is a support community, well, I need support. My life has been completely shredded to pieces as a result of this erratic noise in my ear. I like to think its typewriter tinnitus or myoclonus, mostly because it's sometimes a sharp click noise and jumps out, but I never FEEL it, and sometimes the sounds are too long for me to justify that it's just some muscle spasm. Plus most people here, the experts on tinnitus, usually say that whatever noise it is that you hear, that's just your form of tinnitus. It really blows that my form of it seems like the absolute worst kind you can get.

I really fucking wish it could just be one solid steady tone. It seems impossible to habituate to a rapidly fluctuating tone. I almost want to induce a steady tinnitus into my ear since that was a thousand times easier to listen to when my ear infection started two months ago.

Please. Someone give me some encouragement. I don't know what the hell to do anymore.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Dude I would definitely make an appt with an ENT doctor and get checked out by a professional. Maybe there are some type of meds that will treat your condition or he may send you for an MRI to check things out even further. I have a friend that experiences a clicking sound although he really didnt tell me to much about it. I have had a fluttering but my T is a high pitched steady tone. Hopefully someone else with the clicking will respond to find out what they have done to help it.

3. GregCA
      Crappy

GregCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What have you done so far to debug your problem?

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Why would inducing another tone help if your T can't be masked? You want to listen to more T? I have a ton of sounds and totally fucked up ears, more tinnitus and ear damage is a really really dumb idea, one of the stupidest things I've heard here at TT actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Good thing that you say "almost".
      Did you see an ENT doctor?

6. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi dude,
      I hope you are on medication with talking therapy for your depression as that alone is hard to deal with and feeling better with your emotions is a big step in coping better with your sound itself.
      The sound you hear clicking and carnt be masked needs extra help from ENT and audiology and a MRI with dye.
      You might get some relief with white noise generators or hearing aids to help take the edge off your tinnitus.

We are here round the clock to support you ......lots of love glynis

7. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Dude,
      I get those clicking noises too sometimes. At first, the click sounds happened often and they were loud. Now, they happen less often and are softer and weaker. My clicking sounds don't hurt...thAnkful for that. I have many different sounds with my tinnitus, always changing and evolving. I don't spend much time analyzing the varying sounds anymore. That was a big timesuck for me during the early months.
      The clicking sounds might become weaker for you too and they might go away altogether after some time. Hang in there.

8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Why dont you ask for a prescription of Tegretol - it really supposed to work for "typewriter" tinnitus. Google studies Tegretol+ typewriter tinnitus.

p.s. and no, you dont have the worst kind of T, trust me, u dont want what I got a steady tone of a dental drill.

9. dudeguywithstuff

dudeguywithstuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety
      I guarantee you it isn't. Honestly the only thing I seem to be requesting here is a masking noise and there are plenty of resources for that which aren't permanent. A more helpful response would have been "get a masking device".

10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      How would that be helpful? You said you can not mask your T?

11. dudeguywithstuff

dudeguywithstuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety
      If you can hear, you can mask your T. Maybe you can't COMPLETELY mask your T, but you can draw attention away from it.

12. dudeguywithstuff

dudeguywithstuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety
      Just FYI, Dr. Nagler typically recommends NOT debugging your problem.

I realize that an important step in habituation is to stop trying to figure out your tinnitus, but when mine actually disappears completely for long stretches of time, I feel less inclined to listen to the chronic sufferers who say that it's permanent and you should just deal with it. Right now, my clicking is 100% gone. Not 98%, but 100%. Isn't that worth investigating?

13. GregCA
      Crappy

GregCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I certainly think so.

I understand that debugging your T is an obstacle to habituation. However, I don't see habituation as the top priority. Personally, it's my "last resort option", so I'll first try to debug my T, and if/when I've exhausted all options in the "decision tree", then go the habituation route, because well, that's all that's left.

Tinnitus is a symptom of an underlying condition, and in some cases you can fix the underlying condition (and make T go away). For example, otosclerosis causes T in most patients, and you have a 50/50 chance of getting rid of T if you perform a stapedotomy. It would be silly (in my opinion anyway), to forego the option to get rid of it, if such option exists (which you won't know if you don't debug it).

14. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Okay great so masking helps you:

So what is this all about:

And then you are somehow pissed because I wasn't helpful in recommending a masking device:

Dude you are all over the map. And I still maintain giving yourself real T to mask some clicking is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.