Need Your Opinion — New Tones and Sensations After ENT Tests

Discussion in 'Support' started by chaLLas, Oct 15, 2018.

1. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      Dear all,

this is hard for me to ask because I feel really ashamed to have made this decision...

After I had been to the dentist 6 days ago, where my teeth got cleaned via ultrasonic, I decided to visit the ENT the day after to see if this did any damage. He then did an audiogram, an OAE and a tympanometry...

I asked him if it was safe since my tinnitus is noise induced... and he said yes, no problem. Since I finally wanted to know what damage had been done to my ears, I light-headedly believed him and endured the tests... I thought my hyperacusis would be making them louder than they actually are.

Now I am getting new sensations like a screeching sound that is reacting to ventilation / fans and random high pitch tinnitus spikes in both ears for some seconds to minutes. Also, my ears are more stuffed/full than before now.

This developed over the days, it was not immediately after the tests.

I know I made another big mistake... I am just making my own journey a living hell.

Anyways, my question is: What would you do in such a case? Take steroid injections? Have infusions? Have specific meds? Or just try to relax?

If you get exposed to loud noise and experience a spike, do you always start from anew (like URGENT hearing loss care)?

This raises my anxiety because I cannot get an ENT appointment that quick - if I even have to be quick?

Luckily, this did not affect my hyperacusis... at least not yet :/

I really have to work a lot on my decision making...

Thank you all in advance for sharing & caring.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I also had all those done on Thursday and I'm sure it got a bit louder or probably all my anxiety, but I have been taking NAC and Vitamin C. It still sounds louder but hopefully in a few weeks it goes down for us :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Just relax, take lots of magnesium, B12 and Zinc, you’ll be fine.

• Like Like x 3
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      One thing TTalk.com has shown me is to stay the heck away from ENTs.

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I don't go to ENT's anymore due to the horror stories littering the forums, I generally believe that some of these doctors have no idea what they are doing, they might have good intentions but they are willing to perform tests and carry out their theories on vulnerable and willing patients. These tests might never bother people with good hearing, but when your ears are already compromised, you never know what seemingly "safe" procedures will make your T worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      STAY AWAY FROM ENTs if you have NOISE INDUCED TINNITUS, if you have noise induced tinnitus from loud concert, power tool, or ipod.
      I cant emphasize that enough.

DO NOT DO THESE EAR TESTS (CAN CAUSE DAMAGE)
      1. CVEMP 90db-110db (hearing loss likely), damaged my good ear and have hearing loss there now.
      2. ACOUSTIC REFLEX 100db (hearing loss likely)
      3. ELECTROCOCHLEOGRAPHY (ECOG) 90db-100db (hearing loss likely)
      4. MICROSUCTION/EAR WAX REMOVAL
      5. EAR IRRIGATION (WATER), CALORIC TEST
      6. ABR
      7. TYMPANOMETRY

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My ENT told me I have brain cancer, blood cancer, thyroid cancer, cochlear hydrops, meniere disease, etc and its up to us to find out which one of these diseases I have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audiogram and OAE cannot cause T go up. I did OAE millions of times and nothing happened. It has to be a test 90b+ above to do any damage to the hair cells.

9. The Jordan
      Sad

The Jordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/06/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      The exact same thing happened to me a month ago, I went to ENT and did some tests, I was fine for the rest of the day, then the next day I started to feel worse, and 4 days after, T and H worsened a lot...

However, I think it will start to slowly fade like mine did after a week of pure hell.

My tests were apparently tympanometry + Acoustic reflex/DLD (I dont sure 100% though), but the second test was a series of high pitches noises for about 15 seconds.

I know tympanometry is safer because it was quieter but the other one is what Im worried about.

I have the results of that second test and it says something like: 82 db average for 16 seconds right ear, and 83 db average for 11 seconds left ear...

Do you think those decibels and time exposure can cause permanent spike/damage if you have noise induced T and H? Because Im still worried...

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822
      In the future, I hope you will never have an ultrasonic cleaning done.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Away from my computer. :)

14. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    15. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @ TheJordan I initially had mild tinnitus by my stupid ENT thought I had 30 diseases. I did the CVEMP which was 90db for 1-2 minutes on right ear, and ear irrigation, hey the ENT wanted some money :p :p :p :p
      This happened on January 15, 2018 the next few days my Tinnitus increased from 2/10 to a 4/10 and then to a 6/10 and then t0 a 8/10 and 10/10. For three weeks my tinnitus was 10/10. Went to my audiologist and had a huge DIP in hearing (a 25db dip in hearing). My T lowered to a 8/10 and it stayed like that until August. I also developed Severe Hyperacusis which lasted from February - September, now it has gotten better but I still have it, sometimes it can be severe but it lasts a short time. I think I am getting better when it comes to Hyperacusis. I still have really bad tinnitus, yesterday it was a 8/10 and today its a 6/10. I get two days per week where its tolerable ( I can hear it over tv and music and stuff but its not bothersome), sadly when I had 2/10 I couldn't have heard my T anywhere unless I was a quiet room. Now I hear it all the time, when its 8/10 it causes a lot of distress and I cant sleep sometimes because of it.

The CVEMP had damaged my hearing in both ears, it damaged inner hair cells as I got mild hearing loss in noisy areas, which was not the case before. I also have dips now in right ear which was never seen before, be careful as we are more prone now to damage.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      Audiogram, speech test, OAE and tympanometry all had normal results in my case. Since I made OAE und tympanometry for the first time, we had nothing to compare the results to though ... and audiogram and speech test were taken before the hurtful tympanometry

When you noticed the test did damage to you, what did you to? Did you get steroids or did you take supplements? Or other meds? How did you cope with the situation?

17. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      the very next day I got severe h on the tested ear.
      I still have H and T. I lost a good chunk of hearing from those tests (mild hearing loss in noisy areas).

18. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      https://www.hearingsolutions.ca/blo...ustic-reflex-threshold-test-have-side-effects

19. Leoglobe
      Tolerant

Leoglobe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Hey @dpdx as you have some hearing loss in the current audiograms, you actually could volunteer for Frequency Therapeutics for the next round, which takes place in 2019.

It gives you a sort of thing on your schedule instead of getting super depressed each day. In 2019 either you feel better and that's good, or if you still feel very unwell you can volunteer.

• Like Like x 1
    20. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      how can I volunteer?
      where do I sign up?

21. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree that some tests are a bad idea for people with hyperacusis, but the tympanometry should not be one of them if it is done by itself. I think where people encounter problems is it's often done in conjunction with the acoustic reflex test.

22. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yup. I also didnt believe that a 90db-100db 1 minute ear test could damage hearing but hey it could and it did.