Neighbors Blasting Extremely Loud Music — Can it Harm My Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by pleasejuststop, Aug 15, 2021.

1. pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      My neighbors are having a party and have been blasting extremely loud music for the past 5 hours. Even though the house is 3 houses away, the bass is so loud, the other people in my house and I can hear it and feel it. I can literally hear and feel the bass and the couch is literally vibrating. Vibrating, literally. It's so loud, that car alarms starting going off. These neighbors throw parties every week and set off fireworks frequently too.

I have earplugs in and the windows are closed but it's still so loud. I called the non-emergency number and reported it but they are still continuing. My dad went over there for me and politely asked them to turn it down and they laughed and started making animal noises.

I'm so filled with rage. I don't understand how people that are so inconsiderate of others can blast music for 5+ hours and not get tinnitus or hearing loss but I get tinnitus at 21? I just want to scream. It's so unfair. My life is ruined and these people who don't have a shred of consideration for others are having fun and hollering and yelling and laughing.

Can this harm my ears? My decibel meter is measuring it at about 85-90 decibels outside and 65-70 inside. I can hear and feel the bass.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It’s daytime now but to update, they blasted their music from around 5-6 pm to almost 4 am, with fireworks so loud they woke us up too. Cops came once at around 10 pm and told them to turn it down and said they’d have to stop after 11 pm but they turned it right back up after they left and continued until almost 4 am.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I feel for you. Stay in the house windows closed and wear earmuffs. Save yourself. The loud noise will take its toll. Stay safe.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Do you have hyperacusis? If you don’t, I think with wearing earplugs in your house you will be ok. I highly doubt it will cause damage. I have severe hyperacusis to where if I drop a fork I will be in pain lmao. My neighbors play loud music all the time and It’s annoying but I just plug up and move to a quieter room. The fireworks you gotta be careful about though. Those can be a real bitch.

Before my hyperacusis got severe, my neighbors would light off motors and that would really bother my ears. That was insanely loud.

It’s crazy how the cops did nothing? Where I live the cops would shut that down so fast if anybody complained. You might just have to complain to the right cop or file a complaint against the house. No way they can be that loud at 4 am. That’s not right.

• Like Like x 1
    5. rei

rei Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 but not a problem till 10/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music spiked with lyme disease
      85-90 dB takes about eight hours to cause damage. 80 dB and under is completely safe. There are numerous graphs online if you look it up.

6. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If you’re inside and in a separate house I wouldn’t worry about music...

Fireworks...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      When I say outside by the way, I mean just when I open my window. Actually at the party was probably 110+ decibels since I could literally feel the couch vibrating and car alarms were going off. I don’t know how these people don’t get tinnitus.

8. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      I'm also 21. I have loud neighbours as well. Not as loud as yours going by your description. That's good because they're also closer to me lol. What I did last time when they had a party was call the police (which did nothing) and then I had someone drive me to their place where it was quieter.

Yeah, life really sucks for us. :( I'm starting to keep track of their birthdays so I will know which days will be loud and just leave before the party.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Smart move. No confrontation and you saved your ears.

10. Sandra Menzie

Sandra Menzie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss left ear. 60%
      I live in an apartment complex. The trash receptacles are in front of my home. The constant banging from the lids make me crazy. Going to ask management if they can move them. Lol.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Don't worry about that, but worry about the bad education of your neighbours. Try to leave them a note or speak to them and let them know about your condition. But regarding risk to your hearing, no problem at all.

12. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      That usually back fires with the way people are. They will be louder or even outta their way to mess with you.

• Agree Agree x 1