Never masking during waking hours

Discussion in 'Support' started by Misery, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Since there's a thread about who uses maskers here, it got me thinking... I never use anything to mask during waking hours and I can hear my T all the time, except when showering or vacuuming. I'm hopeful this will aid in a quicker habituation in case the T doesn't resolve itself. Who else never masks and how are you progressing?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Bumping

I can't be the only one who never masks during the day...

3. Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Misery, I don't mask during the day as well. I use a noise app on the ipad at night to help me sleep though. I hear my T all day and am trying to get used to it without masking...some days I can handle it and others it's so loud I just can't and get out for a walk or keep busy. It really is a day by day ordeal with me. I'm hoping my brain will just register it as sound and put it in the back of my head...wishful thinking right now.

4. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      i mask all day all night with ipod that plays white noise. i can still hear it while i mask though. no matter how i turn up the volume i can still hear it. i just want one day where i cant here it. mine is always the same piercing volume. i feel anxious all the time. a lot more anxious if i dont mask it during the day.

5. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      I don't mask very often during the day. If I do, I tend to snap back to the tinnitus noise when I walk away, which is often the case when I use a fan. Something about the act of purposefully masking also brings my mind to the T and the related anxiety more often.

I always have to turn the fan on to sleep though.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I don't mask either. Well, I listen to music a lot, but at the levels I listen it doesn't mask my tinnitus, and I don't remember the last time I listened to masking tracks during daytime.

Night time is different though. I regularly fall asleep to sounds of mountain stream, raining, waterfall, etc. I can get to sleep without masking, only enjoying the incessant high-pitched ringing, but lately I've preferred those nature sounds.

Markku

7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I use computers at work and my office area is generally quiet. I play pandora all day long but then I did that before I had T, so I guess technically now it is masking my T, before I was just playing it to create some noise in the quietness of the office. At night I do use a white noise machine. I don't really need it to fall asleep or mask my T, it helps most block out the noise of my neighbors.

8. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      Sometimes, more often in the morning or in the early evening I feel my T is better and I don't need the masking. But usually after a busy/noisy day I dont' feel comfortable sitting down on my couch and listening to my tinnitus, which is quite loud. So at that point I will switch on the TV or some music. I still get a bit anxious when I hear the T sound when I come to my quiet home from a noisier environment. At night I also use some nature sounds.

9. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I am 6.5 weeks in, and i have never masked day or night, i don´t have anything to mask with. I watch TV but can still hear it, i only can´t hear it for the 15 mins i´m in the shower every day, i fall asleep eventually only because i´m so exhausted, i get 4 hrs sleep per night, and then the whole thing starts again when i wake up. I´m not on any medication as i haven´t seen a health professional yet, so you could say i´m just doing this completely alone. I´ve just dropped something on the floor and it made a very loud crack, i´ve panicked!!! does this mean i will definitely have a spike?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Thank you everyone. I appreciate all your responses.

@carol kane I'm sorry you're still not sleeping better. I also have never seen a doctor regarding the T, only the pressure I felt in my left ear. I ended up casually mentioning the T to him and he kind of muttered that many have varying levels of it and it gets worse with age. Thanks Doc! NOT! Anyway, I didn't care what he said about it. I'm certain he doesn't have it and I assume he knows very little about it.

For my sanity, I find it better to not refer to increases in T volume as spikes. I guess it sounds too harsh. I prefer to think of it as a fluctuation... it goes up and down.

• Like Like x 1