New and Anxious About Acoustic Neuroma and MRI

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CCsMom14, Nov 14, 2017.

1. CCsMom14
      Likeable

CCsMom14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - suspect SSHL
      Hello everyone -

Been lurking and reading - here is my shortened story.

4 weeks ago - lots of sinus congestion in the morning, all clear - more like Fall Allergies. Woke up on October 21 with what could be only described as a bowling ball stuffed in my ear - completely blocked, ear pounding - no drainage. Spent a day at the softball field (Fall Ball - 60 degrees, lots of wind and NO ear protection) - lesson learned. Next day, woke up and went to urgent care - he said ear was red and inflammed - prescribed ZPAK, Advil. Over the next week went downhill and experienced several bouts of dizziness (threw up once) and progressive tinnitis.

My own doctor - diagnosis - labrynithitis and slight vertigo. On Meclizine for 7 days. (October 27) Suggested an ENT if not better in a week. November 3 - ENT (got Audiology and Tymp exam) - hearing loss at certain decibels and prescribed Prednisone. Tinnitus much worse after starting that treatment. No more dizziness. Some days the tinnitus worse.

Today - back to ENT for check - more hearing loss (although I thought it was getting better) - had a rushed Audio/Tymp exam - ENT walked in and said "your hearing is worse, time for an MRI" - I asked about AN and he said - if you have one, we are not doing anything because you can still hear. Never looked in my ear - just said- might be just hearing loss and you need a hearing aid. "At least the MRI will rule out a tumor - "

I am a 50 year young woman - no medical issues (although manage Type 2 Diabetes with diet and low metformin) - now I am googling acoustic neuromas and other awful sounding things and in a panic.

Meanwhile I am feeling better, tinnitus is still there and if you tap on the outside of my face with my ear closed - sounds like a drum.

Thanks for listening - I need to vent.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. You are also welcome to vent all your frustration and anxiety. There is another poster on Introduction who has similar challenge of possible AN. Perhaps you can read it up as I posted there too. AN may not be malignant and is treatable. I am sure you know that as you said you google about it. Try your best to remain calm as that will keep anxiety, stress and the limbic system off.

• Like Like x 1
    3. BreachOfEuphoria
      Thinking

BreachOfEuphoria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi CCsMom14 and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry about the situation you are in.

IMO, you don't need a doctor that is not constructive and says things like; "If you have one, we are not doing anything because you can still hear."
      I can sense on your post that it makes you angry and dissapointed. It's what i read between the lines. Correct me if i am wrong :)

Try not to lose hope :)

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CCsMom14
      Likeable

CCsMom14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - suspect SSHL
      Thank you for the replies - yes, overall frustration with an ENT - but appreciate the kind words. Its a daily thing with T - and I am just focusing on myself and my reactions to address the effects.

5. Artur
      Wishful

Artur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017 or 30/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      If it is an acoustic neuroma your chances of recovery are extremely good. My cousin had an acoustic neuroma and he recovered really well.

6. AbidingByGrace

AbidingByGrace Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/29/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Freq. Inner Ear Trauma (BlueTooth Headset) + Stress + ?
      I don't understand what you mean. Is this something my ENT should have checked on as well?

How are you doing?