New and Scared for My Life

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jessiev94, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      I experience a steady stream of constant noise which is substantially louder than the mild tinnitus I used to experience.

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Everybody reacts different. Try being without caffeine, alcohol and cigarettes and experience what that does for you. You may notice a reduction in tinnitus loudness, or not.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jessiev94

jessiev94 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Quoting Beyoncé. I woke up like this. Randomly at 2 pm.

4. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Here's the thing, that is exactly what I thought when I struggled to accept having tinnitus. How can I possibly ignore something that's screaming in my ear 24/7/365?

Your brain will learn to tune it out. You will be hearing your tinnitus but you won't be noticing it. It will just be something in the background that you learn not to react to. There is no timeline for this that I can give you as it's different for everyone. The brain is a wonderful organ and is capable of amazing things, both passively and impassively.

As I said, it's important to be calm. I personally went down the SSRI route for the most part to help with this. It may help with you or it may not, only your doctor can advise you there.

I'd also advice you to try and stay away from the more desperate posts on this forum. I know this will be difficult, I myself consumed anything tinnitus related for months after onset, good and bad. The people who truly suffer from this condition continually are in the minority and the vast majority of people get their old lives back, it's just a matter of time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      None of those affect my t, you should just try to carry on your life as before. Have a smoke, have a drink but don't over analyze if it is affecting your t. Just do it and enjoy it as you did before.
      Not sure how loud the blow dryer is, but use plugs if it seems uncomfortably loud.

7. Carroc
      Gloomy

Carroc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unspecified tinnitus
      Jessiev94
      My T ramps up as the day goes on. I think it's normal stress as that seems to ramp it up. So in the AM I have switched to decaf. I wear earplugs when I use my hair dryer or go to concerts or loud movies. At night it is louder but I will have a drink cuz it helps me sleep and it does not make it even more louder. I would think smoking would not be good for it because I think it constricts blood vessels (probably the same as alcohol but we are talking about one or two drinks verses several cigarettes).

8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @jessiev94 ,

It depends on the person, as to whether alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, etc., affect your tinnitus. For some people, it has a very profound effect on it, and I would think you'd know immediately if you drank a cup of coffee, and your tinnitus spiked afterward. For others, it doesn't seem to matter.

For me, those things don't seem to make a difference. I've experimented, and added them back in (in moderation) to my life. I don't drink coffee, but do drink decaf tea. I'll never go back to drinking all the diet sodas I used to consume, though! I'm really glad to not be addicted to those any more. I eat chocolate, but in moderation. I've never been a smoker, so I cannot comment on that.

As for blow dryers: Proceed slowly, and see if you can tell any difference after you've used it for a few seconds. For me, it doesn't seem to make much difference, so I've gone back to using a blow dryer again.

Good luck, and give yourself time. Proceed cautiously, and experiment until you find what works best for you.

Hope this helps!

9. DavetheAce
      Breezy

DavetheAce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      showering using local water supply
      Hi Jessie, I hope you are getting some encouragement from the comments. I have some random thoughts because of the mix of responses you've gotten.
      Suicide. Most people will tell you to not think about it because it is a permanent solution to what is usually a temporary problem. I had mine planned in detail. It was liberating. It was empowering. It was, "Life, do what the 'fck' you like, coz tomorrow I can be dead". I've never had depression since. NEVER. So you have a timescale of a month, keep it there, embrace it, say, 'T, is this all you've got, coz I can handle this with one arm tied behind my back'.
      Tinnitus. Different causes, different treatment. Those with ears damaged by loud noises therefore protect them with plugs, etc. Mine? I go into a bar to watch the football, loud commentary, singing, chanting, I come out and the T volume is down significantly. Loud T? Put on the earphones, music, waves, forest sounds, LOUD, T goes down a couple of points. See what works for you.
      Distract. Wrong word. You are not looking for a distraction. You are looking for another focus. At 'normal' levels, I watch TV, use the laptop, read a book, walk, be with family/friends, diy, any number of things and I don't hear the T. A bit louder than normal? Turn up the TV, put the earphones on, play poker online ... you're getting the drift. Focus on other activities and see what the results may be.
      OCD. Not a clue really. A detrimental effect might be the absence of 'silence', a positive effect might be better at focussing on other activities. Not trying to belittle OCD here.
      Caffeine, smoking, hairdryer, alcohol. Drink decaff, won't be bad for you and you'll never notice the difference. I'm on decaff and I have no idea whether it is helping. DON'T SMOKE. Never mind the T, it ain't good for you. Think of your hairdryer as a mobile masking sound. Don't point it into your ears. I can drink alcohol with no effect, but I had to give up chocolate. I would prefer the chocolate.
      Habituate. This is not something you can choose to not do. It happens. The World turns, the Sun rises, humans habituate to whatever their circumstances are. T, no legs, living in a war zone, it just becomes the new normal.
      Lastly. Tell us what you did before T. Tell us what you can no longer do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      Maybe you'd rather be deaf but you're a long way from that point. Give it time (I won't make false promises - hate lying and padding to make people feel better). You're way too new
      to be going nuts at this time. That is the truth as well as I don't know what will happen to you. But breathe.

Deaf brings on its own onslaught of issues. I'd call that a bad analogy. I am legally deaf - can "process sounds" but I don't always know what they are (have a cochlear implant).

11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      How loud do you perceive your T?
      How many sounds/what does it sound like?

Im just trying to understand tinnitus and habituation. Thanks.

12. delumo71
      No Mood

delumo71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wish I knew.
      I find it to be extremely irresponsible for someone to come on this site and go as far as mentioning suicide as a their possible solution. I understand and I REALLY understand what it feels like when you suddenly and without warning start hearing this intrusive loud noise(s) and how agonizing and terrifying it is to think that you will live like this for the rest of your life. I went through exactly the same emotions and I know what it feels like to feel like you are on the verge of losing your mind to this. I still go through ups and downs daily just most of the people here. I have anxiety and depression too.
      @jessiev94 I know the suffering and panic of a new sufferer but please don't come on here and throw strong statements such as "Not to alarm anyone but I plan on stopping it permanently after a month if it's not gone, if you catch my drift" like they are nothing. You are talking suicide one minute then end up with coffee and blow dryers... Be responsible with your thoughts and words on here even in the midst of your desperation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      I can perceive my T in quiet rooms and outside when it's generally quiet. If I listen for it I can generally hear it in most situations but it's not something I really do anymore. When I first got it I heard it everywhere over everything. I can't say for sure that it's lowered in volume, however it is definitely less noticeable. I think my brain has hardened to the sound and just filters it out most the time. I think I have 3-4 tones in all, however one overpowers the others and it's the main one I hear.

Case in point, I've been sat on the laptop here for about an hour browsing other sites.. The room is very quiet however I have not noticed my tinnitus. Now I'm on tinnitustalk I can't help but hear it. I think once you get to the stage where you just don't emotionally react to tinnitus or see it as important, you've cracked habituation.

That's not to say I think I'm home free. If the condition was to worsen and increase in volume, I know i'd have to go back to the dark place and get on the habituation train all over again. Just my thoughts on it.

• Like Like x 1
    14. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Not true. Hard to believe early on. But most people go on to rarely notice their T. And when they do notice it, it causes them zero emotional reaction.