New and Scared

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MichaelCast, Mar 16, 2015.

1. MichaelCast
      Amazed

MichaelCast Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Toxic drugs/Flu
      Hello all. I've been suffering from Tinnitus since 2008 but was never really bothered by it before. I would hear it only at night and could get distracted away from it very easily. I'd say I would only hear it 5% of the time and it didn't scare me. However, 2 weeks ago I had a nasty sinus infection or virus (the doc wasn't sure) and my tinnitus has gotten louder and more high pitched. It's way more in my face then it ever was. I can't seem to get my mind off of it even though it's not THAT loud. It just feels loud. Sleeping is the hardest though. I saw an ENT and he said I have no hearing loss or nerve damage and doesn't know why I have the ringing. I'm terribly scared. Also, I've been dealing with a major depressive episode for the past few months so it's possible that my perception of the ringing is making it worse than it actually is. Guess I just needed to reach out. Any hopeful thoughts from anyone?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Depression and anxiety make it worse... please do not try to worry that much and keep busy with the things you normaly did. Perhaps it will settle down to the level you previous had

3. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      This has been my experience as well. Do exactly as RicoS says.

4. lisawilks

lisawilks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      According to a doctor I consulted in 1984, when I developed Tinnitus, the severe virus I had was the culprit. A virus can actually cause damage to the little hairs inside your ears and without these little hairs, ringing occurs. The hairs grow back sometimes, but not always. So this doesn't explain your initial tinnitus, but it could explain the increase of sound if you had a virus. Don't blame it all on your mental state.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
    6. lisawilks

lisawilks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I will do this, thanks!

7. lisawilks

lisawilks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I took the hearing test online and got to 11972, which according to Graph 2 seems to be typical for my age. I still don't know if that means hearing loss or not, but given all the loud concerts I've been to in my life, its' very likely I have some.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MichaelCast
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Toxic drugs/Flu
      I was in the 16000 17000 stage.

9. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      I got to 13500 and i am almost 43. Is this normal?

10. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hi @MichaelCast, I think it just sounds like you'll need to re-habituate a little at worst - not that this is always an easy feat, but I feel like you're going to be okay from what you wrote. My T gets funky after I have a cold as well, and it can last a while after the cold is gone. It takes some time for all the mucus etc. to drain out, and that probably makes it seem like it's a lot louder. There's all kinds of funky pressure etc. when you get a sinus infection and even when you feel better, things are still healing in there. My sister doesn't have T normally, but she even gets it just from pressure etc. when she gets and ear or sinus infection.

So, I would take a deep breath, play some masking sounds and wait it out. I think it will probably go back to normal in time. Aside from that, know that you're going to be okay either way. It sounds like its your reaction that's more upsetting right now than the level to you and depression and anxiety can make T seem much more than it is. My T almost never bothers me anymore, but if I'm going through a stressful time I'll get flares of sadness and fear. These feelings depart quickly these days, but it's normal to have moments where T bothers you. Try not to be scared, it will be okay and we're here for you!

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MichaelCast
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Toxic drugs/Flu

Hi. I think your right. Im going through a re habituation process as we speak. The really really loud T has subsided thank GOD. The only thing is now there's a high pitched whine that seems to come and go as it pleases. up and down and side to side. its hard to get used to since its not one steady tone. Would you know what to make of this?

12. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013

I'm really glad it's quieted down some Michael!

As for what I would make of the changing tone...it's T. I'm sure there is a cause to all the little minute changes of T we with the condition sense, but it's currently beyond human comprehension. So, I would just allow it to be and realize that it is more likely than not that it will change and settle with time. Two weeks out from a sinus infection really isn't very long at all. There's probably all kinds of stuff in your body still healing. That aside though, I get spikes and little funny whines occasionally, sometimes that just happens, just give it time.

13. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I get the same thing with the varying frequency high pitched whines. I'm pretty sure it means you are getting better. As the depression/anxiety quiet down so will the spikes. Mine come and go just like yours and I have been getting them less and less over the past couple weeks as I calm down from a period of very loud T.

Agreed on the sinus infections/colds. It seems like they are much worst now adays than they were before. My last cold lasted 2 weeks and even 2 months out I can still feel some affects (mucus/coughing). My T got worst during and after the cold. I think that probably has a lot to do with it.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MichaelCast
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Toxic drugs/Flu
      Thanks so much for the support. I feel like throwing in the towel but your post made me rethink. Thanks. I just took some musinex.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MichaelCast
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Toxic drugs/Flu
      Thanks for the support!!!!! really needed it. thank you so much.

16. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      You're very welcome! I'm glad it helped :)

17. maccebu
      Sunshine

maccebu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014 6:20AM
      this is what i worry the most. i can live with my tinnitus today but what happens in 5 years or so.. i don't know

18. A day at a time for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure what happens, but if your body is not overly agitated then T no matter how bad your hearing is, is generally not noticeable. For most people its the periods of excitement/anxiety that really rachett up the volume. In 5 years we will have a cure or something close to it, if the first explanation didn't work out. Just worrying about the future will make your T worst now.

20. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't throw in the towel. the days that I accept T are generally the days that it stays with me all day. You have to fight it, don't be afraid and don't accept it. For me this change in attitude causes lower T volumes. Giving in and acting scared sends out some chemicals in our bodies that amplify the signal somehow and make you notice it more. Its a mind game and T feeds off fear and emotion. Once you learn to control them, then you control your T.

T reminds me of the movie after earth. T is the Ursa that can only hunt you down when you are scared as it senses your fear. No fear and it cant find you.

Yeah I know, I've probably gone off the deep end....